Options

HIV Milestone! 2nd patient cured!

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    It is great news for him.  

Most experts say it is inconceivable such treatments could be a way of curing all patients. The procedure is expensive, complex and risky. To do this in others, exact match donors would have to be found in the tiny proportion of people — most of them of northern European descent — who have the CCR5 mutation that makes them resistant to the virus.

London HIV patient becomes world's second AIDS cure hope
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-aids-cure/london-hiv-patient-becomes-worlds-second-aids-cure-hope-idUKKCN1QL2C0

The NY Times wanted me to pay...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,469
    Just read the article, that's amazing! Hopefully this will lead to more people being cured of this terrible disease 
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,008
    BLACK35 said:
    Just read the article, that's amazing! Hopefully this will lead to more people being cured of this terrible disease 
    With it being so expensive I can't see it being brought to mainstream or in countries in Africa where it runs rampant.
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:
    With it being so expensive I can't see it being brought to mainstream or in countries in Africa where it runs rampant.
    CBC news did a special on AIDS and Africa. There are loads of westerners that try to educate and hand out free condoms, the vast majority refuse to be educated about the effectiveness of condoms and will not use them.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,008
    BLACK35 said:
    CBC news did a special on AIDS and Africa. There are loads of westerners that try to educate and hand out free condoms, the vast majority refuse to be educated about the effectiveness of condoms and will not use them.
    That is another story all in itself.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    This is interesting scientifically, but thankfully current antiretroviral treatment is so effective for most infected people that this advance is not rrallly needed for them to lead long, healthy lives. Where antiretroviral treatment causes a suppression in viral load down to very minimal levels, the risk of transmission through sex is negligible, allowing people to have relationships with serodiscordant partners safely, too. The advances in HIV treatment in recent years have been amazing. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:
    It is...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:

It highlights the importance of educating women and girls and providing them the means to get economic power. Educated women not economically beholden to men have a better chance at standing up to some of these beliefs. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Any breakthrough is good.  It can be disheartening that progress is so slow with the amount of resources and money that is put into HIV and cancer research. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited March 2019
    BLACK35 said:

It highlights the importance of educating women and girls and providing them the means to get economic power. Educated women not economically beholden to men have a better chance at standing up to some of these beliefs. 
    Indeed, and it involves even more than that, if one is interested in the actions of certain corrupt African governments. There are some CRAZY things related to this, coming from the corrupt leaders in some African cities and nations. They have been known to encourage ridiculous fake remedies for AIDS patients instead of real medical treatment, just to pacify the population, since their access to healthcare is so lacking. These terrible leaders want them to think they can treat and cure AIDS without doctors. And of course, these same ones have zero interest is women being educated. That would ruin everything for them!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Any breakthrough is good.  It can be disheartening that progress is so slow with the amount of resources and money that is put into HIV and cancer research. 
    In terms of HIV, progress is not slow, it’s impressive. Here is another positive study showing zero transmission of the virus in serodiscordant couples over 8 years, without condom use, when the infected partner was on an antiretroviral regimen. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/antiretroviral-prep-hiv-1.5121049
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,297
    Great news 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....