Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Second Helping' Round 2

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
On to Round 2 to determine the GREATEST song on Lynyrd Skynyrd's album 'Second Helping'.
Eliminated Round 1 - I Need You, Swamp Music

For anyone new to the game:
You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 3 days I remove the two (2) songs with the most votes.
We will then move on to Round 3  - Remember you are voting to eliminate songs from contention.

Lets have fun with this. Remember debating and discussing why your right and others are wrong is always fun.  

Poll--The Weakest Link: Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Second Helping' Round 2 26 votes

Sweet Home Alabama
15%
Poncierjosevolutioncutzrgambs 4 votes
Don't Ask Me Questions
11%
dankinded243421hauntingfamiliar 3 votes
Working For MCA
42%
jeffbrHorosredsfan1DewieCoxRS151862MedozKF Me In The BrainHobbesJason7192OffSheGoes35njnancy 11 votes
The Ballad Of Curtis Loew
15%
mfc2006pjsteelerfanThirty Bills UnpaidSmallestOceans 4 votes
The Needle And The Spoon
7%
tbergsjjflash 2 votes
Call Me The Breeze
7%
mookieblalockMeltdown99 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    Working For MCA
    Hmm, will be interesting what is chosen as the 2nd song to be eliminated. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2019
    Don't Ask Me Questions
    I’m gonna get it for this one. 

Edit: And you left a word out of the song title, Lunch Box. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,218
    The Needle And The Spoon
    dankind said:

Yeah, your choice sucks. One of my favorites on this record.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,841
    dankind said:

Dan, what part of the south did you grow up in?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,218
    The Needle And The Spoon
    Any of you that either said you don't like LS at all or are sitting this one out grow up in a rural area? Trying to understand the divide here and I feel like that plays a part. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Don't Ask Me Questions
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:

Dan, what part of the south did you grow up in?
    Florida. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited March 2019
    Working For MCA
     tbergs said:
    Any of you that either said you don't like LS at all or are sitting this one out grow up in a rural area? Trying to understand the divide here and I feel like that plays a part. 
    I could spit out my back window and if the wind was right it would carry it across the Hudson River and land in midtown Manhattan. I'm a complete outlier here. :rock_on:

(And my edit made my vote disappear - at least I didn't wind up in quote hell)
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Grew up on the jersey shore. Skynard just isn’t my cup of tea. 
  • Options
    Working For MCA
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    Grew up on the jersey shore. Skynard just isn’t my cup of tea. 
    Ahhh....now you're doing it - Skynyrd - lol. 2 y's no a (sorry for being a grammar Nazi).
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Don't Ask Me Questions
    My vote still hasn't changed and I won't tell YEEIUUO no lies!
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Working For MCA
    Crap! I missed the first round. For the record, I would have chosen "Swamp Music."

Love me some Skynyrd. One of the first guitar intros I learned as a youngster belongs to "Sweet Home Alabama."

Seeing them this summer, too.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    tbergs said:
    I'll try to answer that, just for the hell of it. Yes and no.

I grew up in the same house from age 11 months to 18 years (1952 through 1969) thus:

11 months old to 3 years:  The house I grew up in was on the border of a new suburban neighborhood of cracker-box houses, all exactly alike.  Some roads paved, some dirt.  Poor Native American family on large lot over the fence.  Fields all around, natural creek close by.  Large commercial greenhouses a stones throw away.   There is a traffic light on US Hwy 101.

Age 3 to 8 or 9:  Most roads became paved, creek became a paved wash.  Indians are gone (probably dead), the property abandoned, later sold to a developer.  Mountain View is literally two doors away and many farms (close to where Shoreline Amphitheater is now) begin to disappear.  Slight increase in traffic. Light on Hwy 101 is gone and it is becoming a freeway.

Age 8 to 18:  Where Native Americans were, a new two story office building takes their place.  This parcel and other empty ones all around us are now gone, the loss of many great fields full of wild things, farms and orchards.  Greenhouses have been razed and replaces by high density apartments, later to become condos.  Roads are wider and US 101 is a jammed freeway. 

That same area today  is now part of an endless city. Some of the worlds best soils grow only buildings now.

What the heck does this have to do with Skynyrd?  :lol:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    Sweet Home Alabama
    SHA is out ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Don't Ask Me Questions
    Our choice sucks. :smiley:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Sweet Home Alabama
    dankind said:
    It's always seemed sort of like the truest LS song to me though, it's just their bread and butter.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Sweet Home Alabama
    My Dad is a talented musician and extreme lover of music.  He loves good music of all types.  He grew up rural, but in Ohio.
    I couldn't tell you how many times the record player went straight from Yellow Brick Road to Second Helping.  Or Deja Vú to Harvest to Second Helping.  

I've found in my life that 100% of the time, when a person refuses a certain type of music as a whole (southern rock, jazz, rap, country, etc) it's because they are unwilling to like it.  "Not my cup of tea" means "I'm not willing to taste it".

I said the same thing about rap and country when I was a teenager...but I grew up lol
  • Options
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Don't get me wrong, it's ok to have preferences and not care for sounds and styles.  When you actually give quality stuff outside your menu a taste, you walk away saying, "this isn't really my cup of tea, but they really have talent and clearly write beloved music" 
  • Options
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Hobbes said:
    Crap! I missed the first round. For the record, I would have chosen "Swamp Music."

Love me some Skynyrd. One of the first guitar intros I learned as a youngster belongs to "Sweet Home Alabama."

Seeing them this summer, too.
    You couldn't drag me to a show now.  The entire thing has become an exercise in cliché and stereotype.  It's a circus performance for rednecks.  How many real members are even left?  
    I would rather see a LS cover band lol
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Don't Ask Me Questions
    rgambs said:
    Don't get me wrong, it's ok to have preferences and not care for sounds and styles.  When you actually give quality stuff outside your menu a taste, you walk away saying, "this isn't really my cup of tea, but they really have talent and clearly write beloved music" 
    Like Radiohead or DMB. I’ve
    listened to both. I even own some albums. I tried, man. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Working For MCA
    Lunchbox....:lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    Like Radiohead or DMB. I’ve
    listened to both. I even own some albums. I tried, man. 
    Man I tried with Radiohead and phish so many times, I just can’t get into either of them. I like dmb but his extended jams are not my thing. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Working For MCA
    rgambs said:
    My Dad is a talented musician and extreme lover of music.  He loves good music of all types.  He grew up rural, but in Ohio.
    I couldn't tell you how many times the record player went straight from Yellow Brick Road to Second Helping.  Or Deja Vú to Harvest to Second Helping.  

I've found in my life that 100% of the time, when a person refuses a certain type of music as a whole (southern rock, jazz, rap, country, etc) it's because they are unwilling to like it.  "Not my cup of tea" means "I'm not willing to taste it".

I said the same thing about rap and country when I was a teenager...but I grew up lol
    I am still continuing my journey through the 1001 albums to listen to before you die..... and some are TOTALLY not my taste, but I think the more I listen to, the more I appreciate artistry and why the albums are considered great.

Challenges to the music connoisseurs: 
    The 1001 Albums to listen to before you die.
    https://www.listchallenges.com/1001-albums-you-must-hear-before-you-die-2016

1001 Recordings to hear before you die:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20100212234214/http://www.1000recordings.com/the-list

The albums list is a much easier listen, but the recordings list has a MUCH deeper breadth of artistry. It includes, world music, classical, and just much more of an eclectic variety.

If you want a REAL challenge. Listen to this selection from the 1001 Recordings to Hear Before You Die.
    Genre: Folk
    Artist:  Roscoe Holcomb
    Album: The High Lonesome Sound
    From the Book:
    "Roscoe Holcomb's voice is an acquired taste. It is thin and reedy, scratched and scraggly, with hints of desperation around the edges. Some have described him as a prototypical "mountain man"—singing in wild "get off my land!" bursts, his voice coming across thorny, unapologetic, tetchy, and mean. Before you write him off, however, consider those who have been captivated by his work—among them Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, and Ralph Stanley.

The folklorist John Cohen, who helped bring attention to Holcomb (1911–1981) during the folk revival of the early '60s, characterized his singing style as "the high lonesome sound." That description, which later was attached to Bill Monroe and other bluegrass singers, comes close to catching Holcomb's eerie tone, his faintly otherworldly presence.

This album gathers recordings made in 1961, 1964, and 1974, and shows Holcomb as a singer with zero performance affectation—when he tells a tale like that of "Trouble in Mind," he conveys a completely open, unvarnished humanity. Hear him sing anything and you can tell he's a man who has come to his wisdom one hardship at a time.

Holcomb lived in Daisy, Kentucky, in the Appalachian Mountains, and worked in coal mines and on construction jobs for most of his life. A guitarist who played excellent banjo, Holcomb didn't have a professional career, and during long spans of his life he made music only for himself. His specialties included the blues, hymns (his falsetto style comes from the Old Regular Baptist tradition), and allegorical ballads. His singing isn't smooth; usually he phrases in irregular fits and starts. But if you listen a while, you might well find his music entrancing—the haunted and haunting sound of an America that's a long time gone."

Here is one track "Trouble in Mind" that they talk about in the book.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCV7taW-IhA&index=5&list=OLAK5uy_ml_o55T6pgufSQJ0wkpTVqSUtGkBDqs2E

Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    tbergs said:
    There may be a correlation but I don’t know that it’s a cause. My hometown was probably around a population of 3500-5000. It’s about 20 miles from where I live now which is only about 20k people.

I was exposed to Skynyrd and other southern rock at a young age. Didn’t like it then, never grew to like it. It’s not that I haven’t tried, refuse, won’t “grow up,” got overexposed, or any other sort of contrarianism. It’s just a style of music that doesn’t do anything for me. I don’t know how better to explain it than that. But a lot of people around here like it, so that makes me more of an outlier than a typical case.

Also, I think @DewieCox quoted me in the last thread. I didn’t mean to imply that Skynyrd, Allmans, Tucker, & ZZ all sound the same. I was just naming a few bands in the sub-genre of southern rock as examples. Like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, & Nirvana are all in the same genre, I’d never claim they all sound the same.

There’s a lot of different styles of music and bands across many genres and sub-genres that I’m a fan of and own or listen to their music. If I hear a new song that I like, I’ll look the artist up and dive into some of their other stuff to see if I like anything else in their catalog. Hell one of my top 5 artists of all time is an electronic/techno group. Quite a separation from Pearl Jam. One of the current artists I’ve been getting into writes pop songs. I like some punk artists, some jazz, some country, metal, indie, hip-hop, rap, classical, even video game composers. Don’t like Skynyrd, don’t like southern rock in general. It really is just that simple.

Im highly enjoying the discussion, though.
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Don't Ask Me Questions

dankind said:
    It's always seemed sort of like the truest LS song to me though, it's just their bread and butter.
    This is a fun song to be my least favorite. :) I had to vote it out based on the way Van Zant over enunciates certain words. It makes me crazy!!   :anguished::lol:
  • Options
    The Ballad Of Curtis Loew
    Choices are getting hard.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Sweet Home Alabama
    MedozK said:
    rgambs said:

I am still continuing my journey through the 1001 albums to listen to before you die..... and some are TOTALLY not my taste, but I think the more I listen to, the more I appreciate artistry and why the albums are considered great.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100212234214/http://www.1000recordings.com/the-list

The albums list is a much easier listen, but the recordings list has a MUCH deeper breadth of artistry. It includes, world music, classical, and just much more of an eclectic variety.

If you want a REAL challenge. Listen to this selection from the 1001 Recordings to Hear Before You Die.
    From the Book:
    "Roscoe Holcomb's voice is an acquired taste. It is thin and reedy, scratched and scraggly, with hints of desperation around the edges. Some have described him as a prototypical "mountain man"—singing in wild "get off my land!" bursts, his voice coming across thorny, unapologetic, tetchy, and mean. Before you write him off, however, consider those who have been captivated by his work—among them Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, and Ralph Stanley.

The folklorist John Cohen, who helped bring attention to Holcomb (1911–1981) during the folk revival of the early '60s, characterized his singing style as "the high lonesome sound." That description, which later was attached to Bill Monroe and other bluegrass singers, comes close to catching Holcomb's eerie tone, his faintly otherworldly presence.

This album gathers recordings made in 1961, 1964, and 1974, and shows Holcomb as a singer with zero performance affectation—when he tells a tale like that of "Trouble in Mind," he conveys a completely open, unvarnished humanity. Hear him sing anything and you can tell he's a man who has come to his wisdom one hardship at a time.

Holcomb lived in Daisy, Kentucky, in the Appalachian Mountains, and worked in coal mines and on construction jobs for most of his life. A guitarist who played excellent banjo, Holcomb didn't have a professional career, and during long spans of his life he made music only for himself. His specialties included the blues, hymns (his falsetto style comes from the Old Regular Baptist tradition), and allegorical ballads. His singing isn't smooth; usually he phrases in irregular fits and starts. But if you listen a while, you might well find his music entrancing—the haunted and haunting sound of an America that's a long time gone."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCV7taW-IhA&index=5&list=OLAK5uy_ml_o55T6pgufSQJ0wkpTVqSUtGkBDqs2E

That shouldn't be a challenge for anybody who listens to old music lol
    Doesn't sound much different from Robert Johnson or Leadbelly.
    Or a radio personality, ya see?
  • Options
    Working For MCA
    rgambs said:
    MedozK said:
    rgambs said:

From the Book:

I guess, but I could barely get through that album. I love bluegrass even, but his voice just would make me cringe.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    rgambs said:
    MedozK said:
    rgambs said:

From the Book:

I guess, but I could barely get through that album. I love bluegrass even, but his voice just would make me cringe.
    That voice is like nails on a chalkboard.  Yikes. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    1001 is way too many. Is there a 101 list?
  • Options
    Working For MCA
    tbergs said:
    There may be a correlation but I don’t know that it’s a cause. My hometown was probably around a population of 3500-5000. It’s about 20 miles from where I live now which is only about 20k people.

I was exposed to Skynyrd and other southern rock at a young age. Didn’t like it then, never grew to like it. It’s not that I haven’t tried, refuse, won’t “grow up,” got overexposed, or any other sort of contrarianism. It’s just a style of music that doesn’t do anything for me. I don’t know how better to explain it than that. But a lot of people around here like it, so that makes me more of an outlier than a typical case.

Also, I think @DewieCox quoted me in the last thread. I didn’t mean to imply that Skynyrd, Allmans, Tucker, & ZZ all sound the same. I was just naming a few bands in the sub-genre of southern rock as examples. Like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, & Nirvana are all in the same genre, I’d never claim they all sound the same.

There’s a lot of different styles of music and bands across many genres and sub-genres that I’m a fan of and own or listen to their music. If I hear a new song that I like, I’ll look the artist up and dive into some of their other stuff to see if I like anything else in their catalog. Hell one of my top 5 artists of all time is an electronic/techno group. Quite a separation from Pearl Jam. One of the current artists I’ve been getting into writes pop songs. I like some punk artists, some jazz, some country, metal, indie, hip-hop, rap, classical, even video game composers. Don’t like Skynyrd, don’t like southern rock in general. It really is just that simple.

Im highly enjoying the discussion, though.
    I can respect being exposed to music and just not it being your thing. I like early hip hop, I am rap adverse though I will listen to some stuff my son asks me to - he knows not to play certain crap to me because I will break his phone. 

Back to those reaction video people - I can really respect people giving honest opinions about music that is completely foreign to them. (There are like 3 or 4 people I'll watch, the rest aren't really interested in what they say they're doing.). Makes me more willing to understand why they like the music that they do. I'm not gonna start downloading rap songs - but I can appreciate there is a talent that goes into being good at it. 
This discussion has been closed.