Options

Kids Cartoons That Adults Enjoy

i'm not talking just about the ones that are obviously geared to an older audience, like bojack horseman or family guy or the simpsons or south park. actual kids cartoons that you have discovered have some type of quality that engages adults as well as kids. 

i pose this as my kids are big into Teen Titans Go. of course i walk by and hear dialogue and whatnot and at some points i found myself laughing. so then i started to sit down and watch entire episodes with my kids. i actually found it to be quite hilarious. they have somehow managed to be entertaining for kids but also have that "clever" factor that also can make adults laugh. 

i am not usually into any type of show geared towards kids. or even teens or young adults. 

anyone else seen this show? i thought i was alone (and my wife thought it was weird). but i posted about it on facebook, and several adult friends of mine responded with "literally my favourite show". any other cartoons that are marketed towards kids that you find yourself watching and being entertained by?
Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I love Teen Titans Go!

Most current kid cartoons look like garbage—that’s my only issue. There’s hardly any artistry to them. Teen Titans Go! has fun writing, though. And great voice work. I’ll watch some of the LEGO-based stuff on Netflix with the kids. Those are fun. Ninjago is better than the current iterations of TMNT.

I planned my college courses around airings of Animaniacs, Gargoyles and Batman: The Animated Series (arguably Mark Hamill’s best work!). Great scripts, awesome voice work and unparalleled animation. 

I fucking love cartoons. I tend to stick with kid stuff more, though. The adult cartoons you mentioned got stale pretty fast for me, which is a shame, because they do have better animation. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,975
    All Hail King Julien on Netflix. The first two seasons are brilliant and funny as hell.
    After that, it got pretty stupid. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    The only good cartoon is scooby doo. 

Everything else, for kids or for adults, extremely stupid.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    The only good cartoon is scooby doo. 

Everything else, for kids or for adults, extremely stupid.
    Jinkies!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Well I watch a bunch with the four year old.  He doesn't dig Spidey and Scoob yet (he loves their books but not the shows) so I see lots of Paw Patrol....yawn.
    I actually like Lego ones....
    His favorite show now is actually Heavy Rescue, this Canadian Reality Show they play o. The Weather Channel that has big tow trucks doing wild tows.  
    I look forward to Scooby and Spider Man ...quite a bit!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Animaniacs was awesome.  I remember bonging in college with that on.
  • Options
    Helloooo, nurse!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Yakko/wakko
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    All the stuff I grew up watching, I still love (Bugs, Magoo, Felix, Mr. Peabody, etc).  Some of the humor takes on another brilliant level in adulthood.

I'll leave the newfangled kids' cartoons to the rest of you :)
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    edited March 2019
    I have a toddler.  So it’s a lot of Peppa Pig.  But, the best show we’ve found is Shaun the Sheep. It’s totally funny and just fun to watch.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,402
    It's coming back
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    It's coming back
    Don’t fuck with me, man. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,880
    Yakko/wakko
    no Dot?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Yakko/wakko
    no Dot?
    Call her Dottie, and you die!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    I loved Animaniacs!

I'll still watch episodes of Tom and Jerry.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited March 2019
    hedonist said:
    All the stuff I grew up watching, I still love (Bugs, Magoo, Felix, Mr. Peabody, etc).  Some of the humor takes on another brilliant level in adulthood.

Gumby and Pokey were definitely made for adults on hallucinogenics, we was clueless. 

My son grew up with SpongeBob which was actually enjoyable. But those days are over

Pokemon was big too - he still likes Pokemon. 
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    Other kid cartoons I watched as an (shudders) adult: Powerpuff GirlsDexter’s Laboratory
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    njnancy said:
    hedonist said:

Gumby and Pokey were definitely made for adults on hallucinogenics, we was clueless. 

My son grew up with SpongeBob which was actually enjoyable. But those days are over

Once I was old enough to know, I figured out why only Fred & Barney could see & talk to the Great Gazoo.
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    It’s been a few years and the kids are getting older, so they don’t really watch anymore, but I remember SpongeBob SquarePants being pretty funny. It seemed to be funny for kids with some adult type humor mixed in.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Watching Stinky & Dirty right now w/the 4 yr old.  I like it.
  • Options
    Have it on right now. I’ve worked in and around the trades for 20 years, so I like that it promotes the building things requires using brains.
  • Options
    Yes, I love the "What if....?" 
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    hedonist said:

Once I was old enough to know, I figured out why only Fred & Barney could see & talk to the Great Gazoo.
    :lol:
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Have it on right now. I’ve worked in and around the trades for 20 years, so I like that it promotes the building things requires using brains.
    While my son was growing up, Bob the Builder and his talking construction equipment was a simplistic view - with an emphasis on 'can we do this? Yes we can!'.   Building up that self confidence was important in a lot of shows. 

Teletubbbies still fascinates me - tv screens in their bellies, they lived in an upside down space ship, the right outraged that Tinky Winky carried a purse :lol:  & I wonder what happened to the kid whose face was the sun?

Now my son's Shrek doll is near and dear to my heart as it says 'Hello, my name is Shrek' and I can say "me too!!". My son always got a kick out of that. I still think they owe my family royalties.

• Options
    Yes, I love the "What if....?" 
    I’m also a fan of Tumble Leaf on Amazon. Lots of problem solving and imaginative play. Its not loud and obnoxious.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    njnancy said:
    hedonist said:

HR Pufnstuf too, though not a cartoon.

I still have my old Gumby toy somewhere :)

• Options
    hedonist said:
    njnancy said:
    hedonist said:

HR Pufnstuf too, though not a cartoon.

I still have my old Gumby toy somewhere :)

Witchy-Poo. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    njnancy said:
    While my son was growing up, Bob the Builder and his talking construction equipment was a simplistic view - with an emphasis on 'can we do this? Yes we can!'.   Building up that self confidence was important in a lot of shows. 

Teletubbbies still fascinates me - tv screens in their bellies, they lived in an upside down space ship, the right outraged that Tinky Winky carried a purse :lol:  & I wonder what happened to the kid whose face was the sun?

Now my son's Shrek doll is near and dear to my heart as it says 'Hello, my name is Shrek' and I can say "me too!!". My son always got a kick out of that. I still think they owe my family royalties.

not to mention Obama stole Bob the Builders key slogan. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    njnancy said:

not to mention Obama stole Bob the Builders key slogan. LOL
    I never connected the two - lol.

Who knows - maybe Bob the Builder was an unconscious contributor to his campaign slogan. Malia is around the same age as my son.  You may be on to something here....  :giggle:
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    SpongeBob Squarepants hit while i was a teenager and was completely adverse to any of that sort of thing, trying to stake my claim as being an adult in this world (I had a long way to go). However, a while ago I watched part of one of the films on Netflix. Is that show really aimed at children? It felt like the whole thing was full of stuff that could be interpreted in multiple ways, in much the same way The Simpsons was constructed.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022