Do you have the Rolling Stones as one of your top 5 all-time favorite bands?

2»

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,265
    No
    Some of their early work may rank among my favourite songs, but they are nowhere near the top of my favourite bands list
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    edited March 2019
    No
    Right now my 5th spot is open, but I can't put the Stones in it.
    1. PJ
    2. The Beatles
    3. Zeppelin
    4. Radiohead
    5. It constantly changes...
    Some candidates for 5:

Foo Fighters, Van Halen, The Who, The Black Keys, QOTSA, Pink Floyd, Coheed and Cambria

I still can’t put the Stones anywhere near my top 10.
    Post edited by Glorified KC on
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    No
    goldrush said:
    Some of their early work may rank among my favourite songs, but they are nowhere near the top of my favourite bands list
    The Brian Jones years were great. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,073
    I don't think so, but the Steel Wheels tour.... It's the first time I remember wanting to see a concert really bad.   Maybe it was the radio advertising... maybe it was mixed emotions being played all over the radio, but they were the first band I really wanted to see.    I'm finally seeing them in April.. looking forward to it ;)
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,375
    No
    PJ_Soul said:
    They aren't even in my top 50. I don't mind them, but I also don't really care much. If someone puts on a Stones album that's just fine with me. I'll like it. That's about as far as I go with them.
    Good way to put it
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    dankind said:
    goldrush said:
    The Brian Jones years were great. 
    Absolutely!  It was Brian, after all, who founded the band.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,478
    Yes
    23scidoo said:
    One of my first loves..they teach me the blues..
    You mean how to steal the blues...
    Lol but not agree..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Yes
    Led Zeppelin 
    Rolling Stones
    Pearl Jam
    The Police
    Aerosmith

The Who and The Beatles and the mighty Van Halen are outside looking in.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    edited March 2019
    No
    What prompted me to start this discussion was two-fold.  I put on Keith Richard's documentary on Netflix (which I recommend, whether you're a fan or not of the Rolling Stones) and found myself getting hooked to "Street Fighting Man." I tried to grow on Beggars Banquet, but couldn't.  Then randomly, i was having a discussion with someone 2 days ago and they brought up how they don't really care for the Rolling Stones and we had a pretty good back-and-forth about it.  Maybe it is a generational thing, even though I grew up mostly in the 90's and love the Beatles, the Doors and the Who's stuff in the 60's, but have never really been able to binge the Rolling Stones.
    Post edited by Glorified KC on
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    it's a good discussion  :)  and i agree a definite generational thing. i'm old and grew up with their music. i used to see rolling stones cover bands in bars in university. decades ago.
    i would say this...if you have never seen the rolling stones play live and are a fan of rock music then why would you or how could you miss seeing them if they come to your town? its a massive bucket list add for many music fans to see them live just once because soon enough there will be none...
    imo to push aside and not RAVE ON about a body of work such as theirs and to say nah its not for me is all a personal opinion. limited to you only. which is ok but limited in real perspective  ;)
    in the grand scope of things....they sell massive amounts of tickets still, world wide. and what they have contributed to rock music ranks right up there with the best that there is
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,472
    Yes
    Yes.  Stones at the Hartford Civic Center was my first concert in 1981. Top 5 performance so I would say yes.  
    No
    it's a good discussion  :)  and i agree a definite generational thing. i'm old and grew up with their music. i used to see rolling stones cover bands in bars in university. decades ago.
    i would say this...if you have never seen the rolling stones play live and are a fan of rock music then why would you or how could you miss seeing them if they come to your town? its a massive bucket list add for many music fans to see them live just once because soon enough there will be none...
    imo to push aside and not RAVE ON about a body of work such as theirs and to say nah its not for me is all a personal opinion. limited to you only. which is ok but limited in real perspective  ;)
    in the grand scope of things....they sell massive amounts of tickets still, world wide. and what they have contributed to rock music ranks right up there with the best that there is
    I'm sure if I saw them live, my perception would change some.  To counter your point, I haven't seen the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, or Radiohead (sadly enough and they are in my generation) and I have them in my top 4.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,278
    No
    23scidoo said:
    One of my first loves..they teach me the blues..
    You mean how to steal the blues...
    lol name one artist who hasn’t stolen riffs or tried their own version of them ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I'm sure if I saw them live, my perception would change some.  To counter your point, I haven't seen the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, or Radiohead (sadly enough and they are in my generation) and I have them in my top 4.
    both the beatles and zep broke up mega decades ago !! i had tickets to see zep and then bonham died and the tour was cancelled...

this is your chance to see one of the last remaining GREAT bands of that era  :)

i don't get radiohead lol but i do get tedeschi trucks band heck of a lot!
    Reading this, I almost feel guilty that I have not seen the Stones nor is seeing them on my bucket list.  I wish I had seen them back when Brian Jones was still alive and fairly together or when Mich Taylor was with them.  But today, for me, it would be a lot of money to basically see them as a tribute to the past.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,139
    edited March 2019
    Yes
    Probably one of the most influential bands in history.  Not in my top 5 but prob in my top 10.  Most electric musicians worldwide have learned their songs.  You’d have to be young or closed off music wise to not understand how big they were and not understand how much they did for style and rock and roll.
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    edited March 2019
    brianlux said:
    Reading this, I almost feel guilty that I have not seen the Stones nor is seeing them on my bucket list.  I wish I had seen them back when Brian Jones was still alive and fairly together or when Mich Taylor was with them.  But today, for me, it would be a lot of money to basically see them as a tribute to the past.
    no need for any guilt  :)
    i've seen the who without keith(every show) and without john(many shows) 
    i've seen the stones every tour since tattoo you(no mick t and no brian j)
    i've see the clash when mick and joe were fighting
    and i've seen every version of jerry's band after he left us
    so while everyone's different for me personally i go with what's happening now, nostalgic as it may be  ;)
    it's super tough for me to say i'm done which is why i paid big $ for elton's last tour, among others. they got me !! lol
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 618
    Top 5, No
    Top 10, Probably
    Top 15, Definitely
    brianlux said:
    no need for any guilt  :)
    i've seen the who without keith(every show) and without john(many shows) 
    i've seen the stones every tour since tattoo you(no mick t and no brian j)
    i've see the clash when mick and joe were fighting
    and i've seen every version of jerry's band after he left us
    so while everyone's different for me personally i go with what's happening now, nostalgic as it may be  ;)
    it's super tough for me to say i'm done which is why i paid big $ for elton's last tour, among others. they got me !! lol
    Cool that you're going to see Elton on his farewell tour!

I almost went to Altamont but it didn't work out.  I guess in that sense (or that particular event anyway) maybe I'm lucky to not have seen The Stones. 

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    No
    I like the Stones.  They're probably not in my top 50 "favorite" bands, but they are a really good band.
    edited March 2019
    ^^ ha ha u r indeed lucky to have missed altamont...what a shit show that scene was. wow
    elton, sir paul, roger&pete, mick keith and charlie etc i have listened to off and on for my whole life and yes the stones are not in my top five now but none of these old kats are....and that does not take away from the fact that their music made me the music fan i am today. along the journey i have been blessed to have pile(s) of music that i cherish. no one ever wins. no one ever comes in first. there is no solid top five. my top five 30 years ago is nothing like my top five now. and there is never a greatest song ever of mine. it's fluid and changes with time. and for that i remain grateful of. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    No
    The Stones were part of my formative music education in the early 70's. It's Only Rock-n-Roll was the 2nd album I bought with my own money. But I would have to put them in my 2nd 5.

First 5:
    PJ
    Springsteen
    U2
    Led Zeppelin 
    Guns-n-Roses (1985-1994)

Second 5:
    Beatles 
    Stones
    The Who
    Peter Gabriel
    Bob Marley

Third 5:
    Beach Boys
    Ramones
    Crowded House
    Van Halen
    The Clash

Fourth 5 is the greats who formed the basis of rock..
    Elvis
    Little Richard 
    Roy Orbison
    Carl Perkins
    Buddy Holly