Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: Led Zeppelin's 'Led Zeppelin IV' Round 4 (Levee is Champion)

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
edited March 2019 in Other Music
On to the FINALS to determine the GREATEST song on Led Zeppelin's album Led Zeppelin IV.
Eliminated Round 1 - Four Sticks, Rock And Roll
Eliminated Round 2 - Misty Mountain Hop, The Battle Of Evermore (Due to total votes)
Eliminated Round 3 - Black Dog, Going To California

For anyone new to the game:
You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 3 days the song with the FEWEST votes will be crowned CHAMPION.
 - Remember you are voting to eliminate songs from contention.

Lets have fun with this. Remember debating and discussing why your right and others are wrong is always fun. 

Poll--The Weakest Link: Led Zeppelin's 'Led Zeppelin IV' Round 4 (Levee is Champion) 58 votes

Stairway To Heaven
50%
pjhawksPoncierjosevolutionmookieblalockgoldrushmfc2006pjsteelerfandudemanmadtowndaveOf The AggietbergspledgeagrievanceDC29940dankinded243421MedozKeddiecbrianluxF Me In The Brainhauntingfamiliar 29 votes
When the Levee Breaks
50%
jeffbrmcgruff102-feign-reluctanceHorse2345Ledbetterman10bootlegger10iOnlyownMymindmvwcutzredsfan1BIGDaddyWilBrainofBGADewieCoxEA5429joberschlakejjflashHesCalledDyerRS151862Gern BlanstenThirty Bills Unpaid 29 votes
Post edited by MedozK on

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    Stairway To Heaven
    Levee is heavy- had to go for it.  Win or lose, it's all win here for this great album.  Good choice, MK!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,918
    When the Levee Breaks
     Any hints on what you are thinking for the next album?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Stairway To Heaven
    mcgruff10 said:
    Already have it lined up. It will go up Thursday, when  this when is over.

I actually have 15 albums ready. And as long as people don't get bored.. I will continue.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited February 2019
    Stairway To Heaven
    Levee such a banger! The first beat any kid wants to drop on a drum kit. I gotta go with it at this point. Just makes you wanna drive around a desert, Mad Max style with nothing around but cacti and rattlesnakes. And a bottle of Jack D your only friend!
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    Stairway To Heaven
    MedozK said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I actually have 15 albums ready. And as long as people don't get bored.. I will continue.
    Hells yeah!

These are some of the best threads on the board. Keep 'em coming.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,662
    Stairway To Heaven
    Stairway wasn't final 2 for me (CA should have been, IMO) but Levee is fucking awesome.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Stairway To Heaven
    Let’s go Levee!
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    Stairway To Heaven
    Stairway wasn't final 2 for me (CA should have been, IMO) but Levee is fucking awesome.
    Yep. If the results stand, I will be pleased; not thrilled, though. "Levee" is a top 3 song off this album. "Going to California" for the win!
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Stairway To Heaven
    I am so g'damm glad that Black Dog was FINALLY  eliminated. I dislike Stairway for the same overplayed reason however Stairway is EPIC! Like I said before Black Dog is a f'kn awesome jam but the beginning of it pisses me off. It's strikes a chord of discord with me for whatever reason. Stairway is an absolute masterpiece. A true epic adventure. Every rock band worth it's ballz tries to recreate this incredible journey in their own way. Why am I voting against it? I really don't know now. Stairway was my first. Levee is that  badass hot guy. He's very deep and has lots of soul and makes you feel every single beat. Classic Perfection  vs Soul Grind. The two cannot compare. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    When the Levee Breaks
    Maybe Stairway is one of the most overplayed songs of all time, but when I compare the two, I gotta give it the edge. These two tunes along with Rock & Roll, I would rate as the top 3 on the album.
    I pick Levee as the weaker of the two remaining simply because it’s repetitive for the most part of 7 minutes. That guitar riff pretty much cycles from beginning to end. Stairway on the other hand seems to be broken up into 4 separate movements of varying melodies & tempo, roughly 2 minutes each.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    When the Levee Breaks
    MedozK said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Fifteen!?!! :rock_on: 
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    Stairway To Heaven
    This is a "proper" final in my mind. Now I have to choose one!
  • Options
    Stairway To Heaven
    MedozK said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Fantastic!  Thanks for doing them- lots of fun!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,965
    When the Levee Breaks
    tight race

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,309
    Stairway To Heaven
    I've voted Stairway out for the last 3 rounds. It's not a bad song of course, but there are so many stronger songs on this record
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,662
    Stairway To Heaven
    Soul Grind!
    Love it 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    Stairway To Heaven
    Still don’t believe in Heaven ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,636
    Stairway To Heaven
     Good cover
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    When the Levee Breaks
    Respect vote.

The 'rip off' tarnished the brilliance of the song somewhat; but say what you want... the song is 'truly' an epic.

Page's solo before Plant's wailing lyrics and Bonham's well hit drums (just before the final lyrical section) are just flat out awesome.

No vote was a bad vote for this record. A grueling exercise.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    When the Levee Breaks
    Stairway should win this and it’s not a ripoff unless 95% of other songs are.
  • Options
    When the Levee Breaks
    Voting against Stairway is criminal...
  • Options
    Stairway To Heaven
    Listened to both again this morning and I am on very solid ground with my voting choice.
  • Options
    Stairway To Heaven
    DewieCox said:
    Stairway should win this and it’s not a ripoff unless 95% of other songs are.
    This is way off topic but since the subject came up, here's a thought provoking quote about so-called plagiarism in music:

"All of this explains why people like to call Dylan a plagiarist. In terms of commercial modern music he is, and the advent of Google has given people all sorts of opportunity to fire cheap shots. He cribbed this lyric from a French poet, this one from Japanese gangster books, this one from a nineteenth century hymn. Surely he did, and this is not so much irrelevant as it is a non sequitur in folk music. The irony here is that what most of the world means today with the term "folk music" is simply wrong. What the term means today is a singer-songwriter playing an acoustic guitar, and this is irony, because Dylan himself was a prototype of the modern singer-songwriter. In modern terms, the term "cover" is a sort of insult, a mere cover band not offering "original" material. In real folk music, there is no original material. The arrogance of claiming to write a song shows a lack of respect for who we are and where we came from. It ignores history freighted in traditional music. To know folk music means something far more than mastering a canon; the point is to inhabit it like an evolving ecosystem."

-Richard Manning
    It Runs in the Family, pages 129-130

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited February 2019
    Stairway To Heaven
    I don't know, man. There's this weird part toward the end of "Stairway to Heaven" in which it sounds like a stray cat in heat got into the studio and sort of took over vocal duties until Robert Plant comes back and delivers the last line of the song.

"When the Levee Breaks" doesn't have that.

Harmonica>stray cat in heat
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Stairway To Heaven
    Black cat?
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Stairway To Heaven
    From an Adam Horovitz chapter of the Beastie Boys Book.

I get there and Yauch has a tape deck up on the counter in the kitchen. Not a cassette deck, but a quarter-inch reel-to-reel tape deck. I didn’t even know he had one. He’d pulled the tape out of the machine and wound it around a mic stand and a wooden chair close to the reel-to-reel.… He had the intro drumbeat to Led Zeppelin’s “When The Levee Breaks” going around and around his kitchen. The sound and the visual were so magical to me. It was like he was on some Doug Henning shit. He said that he recorded the intro part of the record onto the tape, and then edited just that intro part, and wanted it to keep going around and around like what a DJ would do with breakbeats.… He told me that he’d heard about Hendrix and Sly Stone doing tape loops and he wanted to try it.

There's also a cool illo to go along with it in the book to show the reader what Horovitz saw going on in Yauch's kitchen, too.

This is just one example of many that illuminate Yauch's experimental genius in the book. Running the 808 beat backward for "Paul Revere" is another. If you haven't read it yet, do so. It's way better than Hammer of the Gods. I promise.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Stairway To Heaven

RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,638
    Stairway To Heaven
    The people seem to have made the correct decision. :) WTLB is definitely the best song on that album. Screw you Scruffy. =)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,253
    Stairway To Heaven
    Stairway is a masterpiece of a song. It's a bit of a slow burn at the beginning, but the way it ends is epic. I just like the consistent rock of Levee and that drum beat.
    It's a hopeless situation...
This discussion has been closed.