Options

Your News Sources

I stay relatively quite here but will express a view here and there.  One discouraging trend I’ve noticed is that anyone who posts here that is conservative will get the faux news comment at some point.  As if anyone who is conservative could never come to that conclusion on their own and must be a sheep of faux news.  My questions are 1) what resources do you use to get your news?  And 2) are you actually sifting through the rhetoric and coming to your own conclusions using facts? 

Comments

• Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I will read anything and watch anything, but am ver concious of political bias. It’s everywhere. A lot of news is fairly basic stuff that doesn’t require an opinion. (Fire hits California, flooding in Texas, ect.) so I will read what ever google throws at me first. Political commentary news is mostly all trash. It’s all a huge democratic cock suck fest unless you watch fox which is a trump stroking fest. I don’t need 45 minutes of news about a trump tweet. We can all go see it. I don’t need 45 minutes of Cortez news. Most of us can see she’s pretty dumb. Case in point. Political news is there to amp people up, and it makes people feel good to watch some over paid moron on the news talk shit about people they hate. Turn off the TV, turn off the computer, put your phones in a backpack and go outside. Life is much betta!! 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I watch 90% Canadian News.  Less sensationalism.  And fewer politics.  I cannot stand the US cable news stations.  Too much fucking politics.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    A lot of NPR which seems to cover the same stories as USA Today oddly enough.

BBC and my local news 12.  NY Times, WA Post, LA Times, WSJ printed publications.  

I used to read The Rolling Stone for articles but it's just too one sided for me anymore to consider it journalism.  There are some good reports in there but you need to separate the bias.

I can care less about Twitter.

Occasionally I listen to Fox, CNN, and MSNBC but they are just as bad when they do opinion pieces or panels.  When they do actual news I like that.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    I use Twitter to aggregate reporters and pundits I either like or find interesting. Robert Costa at the Washington Post, Maggie Haberman at the New York Times, David From, the Crooked Media guys to name a few. I don't watch cable news at all anymore and rarely watch my local news. There is a blog in my town which is great for local news and info.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Donald Trump’s twitter feed. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    Donald Trump’s twitter feed. 
    Add Breitbart and Fox News and you're one-third of America.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    RT News is exceptional...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    RT News is exceptional...
    As is daily caller, newsmax, and infowars
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Rush Limbaugh's radio show.  What more could I want!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I do listen to Limbaugh once and awhile. Fucking crazytown.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The Far Side.  My magic 8 ball.  And Longshoreman Larry who also happens to excel at boiling hot dogs.   
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Your mom.

;)
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    My mom.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    edited February 2019
    JimmyV said:
    I use Twitter to aggregate reporters and pundits I either like or find interesting. Robert Costa at the Washington Post, Maggie Haberman at the New York Times, David From, the Crooked Media guys to name a few. I don't watch cable news at all anymore and rarely watch my local news. There is a blog in my town which is great for local news and info.
    I only listen to Pod Save America from Crooked Media. How are the rest of their shows?
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    I do listen to Limbaugh once and awhile. Fucking crazytown.

Haha, for sure!  I actually was listening to Limbaugh about once week when I was spending a little time helping organize a book room up the hill from me.  The main guy who worked there always had Rush on the radio.  Truth is, you can really learn a lot about America by listening to big mouths like Limbaugh, Coulter, and Bill  O'O'Reilly (take-off on an old Robin Williams' "Good Morning Vietnam" joke).

For more sober news, I read The Guardian (have been since the early 80's), BBC News, Huffington Post, and Business Insider and listening to Democracy Now.  And sometimes, the Wall Street Journal.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    MSNBC...dodon't need much more than that.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    MSNBC...dodon't need much more than that.
    Hahahahaha 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    I get my from cnn mostly. While added listening to MSNBC and added reading of various sources via the Internet including the Hill. Really lots of places but it varies from day to day.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Rush Limbaugh's radio show.  What more could I want!
    Well, those are 3 hours of your day getting informed...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    dignin said:
    JimmyV said:
    I only listen to Pod Save America from Crooked Media. How are the rest of their shows?
    I took a break from all political podcasts after the elections last year so I'm not up to date, but Pod Save America was usually good. We saw them live in Boston last May and it was great. Lovett or Leave It could be good or could be rough depending on the guests. Tommy Vietor's Pod Save The World was almost always an interesting listen but drier than the others. I didn't really explore much beyond those three but there are a few others.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America

https://www.businessinsider.com/these-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-2012-6

The Huffington Compost is literally the worst garbage out there.

Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America

https://www.businessinsider.com/these-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-2012-6

The Huffington Compost is literally the worst garbage out there.

***ding ding ding we have a WINNER***

If you think what you're watching is real news and they are discussing what we should be as a species, you're a total fucking sucker

But I'm the bad guy for pointing it out? There will be order, so give up your mind... everyone is being brainwashed purposefully, whether you like it or not folks.... OMG, did you see what Chloe was wearing??? OMG, did you see what Trump said??? OMG, is that toilet paper on his shoe????

Meanwhile, the working class and planet us getting fucking raped.... resources are completely fucking wasted on weapons of war, after the "news" creates more fear, more boogeymen, and more enemies

The game is over folks, but at least turn off the fake fucking news 
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    dignin said:
    JimmyV said:
    I took a break from all political podcasts after the elections last year so I'm not up to date, but Pod Save America was usually good. We saw them live in Boston last May and it was great. Lovett or Leave It could be good or could be rough depending on the guests. Tommy Vietor's Pod Save The World was almost always an interesting listen but drier than the others. I didn't really explore much beyond those three but there are a few others.
    Thanks for the info. I haven't listened to the others because I don't have the time (only so many podcasts I can listen to in a day) and I figured I would stick to the big podcast with the whole cast together.

I listen to the NY Times daily podcast, Washington Post's daily podcast, the Gist podcast and CBC, NPR world news podcasts almost every day.

I also listen to Stay Tuned With Preet, Trump Inc, This American Life, Radio Lab, Slow Burn and Making Sense with Sam Harris almost weekly.

There are others but those are the regulars. If you have any others that you can recommend I'm always interested in hearing about more.
  • Options
    my2hands said:

***ding ding ding we have a WINNER***

If you think what you're watching is real news and they are discussing what we should be as a species, you're a total fucking sucker

But I'm the bad guy for pointing it out? There will be order, so give up your mind... everyone is being brainwashed purposefully, whether you like it or not folks.... OMG, did you see what Chloe was wearing??? OMG, did you see what Trump said??? OMG, is that toilet paper on his shoe????

Meanwhile, the working class and planet us getting fucking raped.... resources are completely fucking wasted on weapons of war, after the "news" creates more fear, more boogeymen, and more enemies

The game is over folks, but at least turn off the fake fucking news 
    I pretty much agree.  I read (and once in a long while watch) news for these reasons:

1) For entertainment and humor value (since most of it is a joke anyway).
    2) To get a general idea of what people are thinking (or, more often, not thinking).
    3)  To get a general idea of what the major events going on in the world are about (to do this, you have to read widely and then assume much of what you've read is bullshit).
    4) To keep abreast of local issues like the Camp Fire last year that destroyed our neighboring town to the north on the slope of the western Sierra.

• Options
    I just started watching The Young Turks(TYT).

It's pretty funny.  Left leaning but funny.