Options

Nirvana, Pearl Jam among acts celebrated in new 'Grunge' exhibit coming to NY

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738
edited February 2019 in The Porch

Nirvana Pearl Jam among acts celebrated in new Grunge exhibit coming to New York
Kurt Cobain at a 1993 Nirvana concert at the Forum in Los Angeles, which was "his last Nirvana concert in Los Angeles at the Forum," according to photographer Henry Diltz. (photo by Henry Diltz/courtesy Morrison Hotel Gallery)

Come as you are.

Fans of Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden can check out photos of the bands snapped at the height of the grunge movement at new exhibits coming to Morrison Hotel Gallery locations in New York, Los Angeles and Maui.

Grunge: Rise of A Generation” opens March 8 in all three areas, including the SoHo spot at 116 Prince St.

Conveniently arriving 30 years after Nirvana’s first album, “Bleach,” was released in the summer of 1989, the exhibit features several shots of late frontman Kurt Cobain performing and posing.

In one shot taken at a 1993 Nirvana show, Cobain is seen flailing his long blond hair as he strums his guitar at what was “his last Nirvana concert in Los Angeles at the Forum... and my last shot on the roll,” according to photographer Henry Diltz.

Kurt Cobain is seen in this 1993 photo by Jesse Frohman that will be on display as part of the exhibit Grunge Rise of A Generation
Kurt Cobain is seen in this 1993 photo by Jesse Frohman that will be on display as part of the exhibit "Grunge: Rise of A Generation." (Jesse Frohman/courtesy Morrison Hotel Gallery)

Another 1993 photo, this one taken by Jesse Frohman, sees Cobain decked out in an animal-print coat and white shades sipping Evian water and clutching a cigarette with his other hand.

Cobain, who killed himself in 1994 in his Seattle home, is viewed as one of the most influential alternative rock musicians.

His Seattle-based band was one of several from the city, along with Soundgarden and Pearl Jam, that sparked the grunge era. The movement was defined by a sound that was a mix of punk and heavy mental, distorted guitars, and a dress style that shunned glam in favor of flannel shirts.

Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder and late Soundgarden lead vocalist Chris Cornell, who committed suicide in 2017, are also featured prominently in the exhibit.

A shot from 1992 shows the pair standing next to each other outside a tour bus during 1992’s Lollapalooza music festival stop in Seattle.

All of the images on display in the exhibits, which run through March 31, will be for sale online.

Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell are seen backstage at Lollapalooza in Seattle in 1992
Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell are seen backstage at Lollapalooza in Seattle in 1992. (photo by Lance Mercer/courtesy Morrison Hotel Gallery)

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,763
    Cool and sad.
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    Thanks Demetrios! I’m in NYC- I just added this to my calendar.
  • Options
    No Alice in Chains?
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,826
    Nice definitely will go and check out!  Thanks Demetrios 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Dear Media & The Arts,
    Can we fuckin leave the word “grunge” in the 90’s? Pretty please.

Thank you,
    Dyer
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,763
    The plates in my sink are grungy. Idk what sould be a better name for that era...not metal or punk or hardcore...maybe the 'metunkcore' movement?
  • Options

http://www.realclearlife.com/photography/grunge-rise-of-a-generation/

New Grunge Photo Exhibits Puts the Soundtrack of the ’90s On Display

“Grunge: Rise of A Generation” is now showing at Morrison Hotel Galleries in NYC, LA and Hawaii.

It doesn’t smell like teen spirit inside the Morrison Hotel Gallery in New York City, but it sure looks like it.

A new photo exhibit that opened at the gallery last week in honor of Grunge Month, Grunge: Rise of a Generation, showcases the work of some of the top rock photographers of the ’90s.

Among the dozens of striking photos on display are a few shot by Pearl Jam’s official photographer, Lance Mercer, during the band’s formative years of 1991 to 1995. Also present at the exhibit: snapshots Mercer took of Alice in Chains.

There are also early images of Soundgarden and its frontman, Chris Cornell, shot by Karen Mason-Blair and Jay Blakesberg, as well as photos of Kurt Cobain taken by Jesse Frohman during Nirvana’s last official photo shoot prior to the 27-year-old lead singer’s suicide.

A collection of images from ‘Grunge: Rise of a Generation’ with Eddie Vedder on the left and Pearl Jam on the right. (RCL)
    A collection of images from ‘Grunge: Rise of a Generation.’ (RCL)
    A collection of images from ‘Grunge: Rise of a Generation’ with Chris Cornell in the middle. (RCL)
    An image collection with Stone Temple Pilots on the left and Soundgarden and Pearl Jam on the right. (RCL)

For those who remember the days of frayed flannel, grubby jeans, and mandated melancholy, the images provoke almost instant nostalgia, in part because many of the subjects captured within them are no longer with us.

“I photographed Scott Weiland and Chris Cornell—for these guys their strength was their weakness,” photographer Clay Patrick McBride told RealClearLife. “They were very sensitive people who were maybe too sensitive to handle the success that came their way.”

McBride, who now teaches photography at the Rochester Institute of Technology, has a photograph he took of Courtney Love at Electric Ladyland Studios in Greenwich Village in the show.

Clay Patrick McBride’s photo of Courtney Love. (RCL)

“This was my time,” McBride told RCL. “The ’90s were it for me. It’s when I came of age as an artist and this music was like the carpet of my life and the soundtrack to many sleepless nights in the darkroom and grinding away at different photo shoots. It was the thing that set the pace for everything.”

In addition to Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, and Soundgarden, the show features photos of the bands Hole, L7, Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, and Stone Temple Pilots.

Kurt Cobain, NYC 1993. (Jesse Frohman/Morrison Hotel Gallery)

Though many of those bands still tour and release new music, they are no longer considered the vanguard of the rock music scene, as they were 25 years ago.

“It’s interesting that grunge is now classic rock, which makes me old,” McBride said. “It’s difficult, I’m a teacher now and many of the students I teach weren’t even born when Kurt Cobain died.”

Pearl Jam, Seattle, Washington, 1992 (Amy Rachlin/Morrison Hotel Gallery)

Despite that, grunge—and what it stood for—is still relevant today, especially for those who were coming of age in the ’90s.

“I think it was a way of looking back into punk rock and forward into heavier music in a totally different way,” McBride said. “It had its feet in both the future and the past in a beautiful way. I think that’s what good art does. It nods to what came before it and makes it something new. I think it means something to the people who lived it. People can love the music, but people who lived through the time have had a very different experience. To me, there was a time that was completely f*ck the world … there was a magic to it that came with my age and where I was in my life.”

Chris Cornell, Lollapalooza Festival, Washington, 1992. (Lance Mercer/Morrison Hotel Gallery)

In addition to the exhibition, Frohman will give a talk on March 14th where he will discuss his photo shoots with Cobain and Cornell. 

“As someone who came into adulthood within the era, I never imagined the possibility—much less, the importance—of revisiting the period through fresh eyes in collaboration with some of my favorite photographers and artists of all time,” said gallery director Marcelle Murdock. 

Kurt Cobain, Los Angeles Forum, 1993. (Henry Diltz/Morrison Hotel Gallery)

McBride shared similar sentiments.

“People should come to this because it is great work,” he said. “These are outstanding photographs. You have Nirvana’s last photo shoot here. You have moments of Woodstock, of Chris Cornell crowd-surfing—this is history. This is our history. If you were alive in this time, these are your Rolling Stones and your Beatles.”

Grunge: Rise of a Generation will be open until Marchi 31 at the Morrison Hotel Gallery at 116 Prince Street in New York, the Sunset Marquis at 1200 Alta Loma Road in West Hollywood, and Fleetwood’s General Store at 744 Front Street in Lahaina, Hawaii.

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I gotta go check this out - thanks @demetrios
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    I gotta go check this out - thanks @demetrios
    Np :)
  • Options

• Options
    A few photos from the Grunge exhibit at Morrison Hotel Gallery NYC. Was there tonight, in & out in 15 minutes.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,944
    edited March 2019
    Renfield said:
    A few photos from the Grunge exhibit at Morrison Hotel Gallery NYC. Was there tonight, in & out in 15 minutes.

My first show. This is the only picture of the band I wish to buy... but will never be able to put up that kind of money.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,944
    Why was the Gene-picture there?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    There were a few Kiss photographs hanging in the exhibit- have no idea why they were included.

The coolest one was of Ace that  once you looked closely was made up of tiny photographs to create his image (very Chuck Close)
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Renfield said:

My first show. This is the only picture of the band I wish to buy... but will never be able to put up that kind of money.
    Maybe one day...  
    I may be butchering this quote from Marianne Faithfull  “You never know, you never fucking know.”

Post edited by Renfield on