Options

Question about poster numbers

First off, I hope I’m posting in the right place. Since there’s a ton of poster talk here, I thought it would fit.

Of posters that are AP’s which are numbered, are the first and last numbers any more collectible than the other numbers?

Example with random numbers - would prints 1/50 & 50/50 be more collectible than say 13/50 or 34/50? 

Theres a print on ebay now and the guy is saying because it’s #400/400, it’s more collectible. Just wondering what you guys think. 

Thanks. 

Comments

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,382
    edited February 2019
    Depends on the person. I wouldn’t pay more for 1/x or 100/100, but that doesn’t mean I don’t get excited when it does happen randomly from a sale. People like unique items. The idea of “proofs” means a lot more in the “real” art world than in the poster/art print realm. AE = Artist Edition is a much more appropriate way to mark it imo. A number now is just to express to the owner that it is in fact limited edition. 
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,105
    Gotcha. Thanks for the reply
  • Options
    KS80184KS80184 Posts: 385
    Some people also get excited for matching numbers if you've got the same number out of whatever for both a show edition and variant that was signed by the artist so they're like a pair.
  • Options
    I think it's ludicrous to pay a premium for a number.

This past comicon a few artists were asking a premium for certain numbers of their prints/comics and they didn't sell.  I was so happy about that!
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
    I got a les claypool poster that is #26 for a show on feb 26. I should dig that one out.
    I used to think lower numbers were better cleaner prints but I dont think that matters.
    Was a sweet show too at an old hotel turned into a venue. Like watching les & kehoe in someone's living room Mackittrick hotel or something like that.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies! One of the main reasons I was asking is because there was a Zeppelin print I was interested in on eBay. The person wanted waaaay too much for it, but one of the reasons listed for that price in their auction was that it was #400/400 and “typically the artist will keep the first and last numbers of their runs for themselves making them more valuable.” I didn’t really know what to make of it so I thought I’d post here and see what everyone had to say. 
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,834
    Baseball cards sales used to do the same thing. They may still do (haven't dabbled in a long time w/ cards). Say for example 1/??, or the player's number/?? would demand more dollars. Back in Pujol's rookie season I paid more for a signed card #/d 5/??. Still have it somewhere:)

I'd say, yes, 1/?? is more collectible. However, in this case more collectible may not translate to more valuable. Prob one of those things where "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". There's gotta be a market out there of people who'll pay more for these kinda things. You gotta ask yourself if you're one of them...ha!

Say, for example, whoever owns the Benny vinyl #1/2000...that's gotta fetch a more hefty price tag than higher numbered copies. BUT, there's the nice backstory that goes along with it where, I think, the low numbers for it were originally given to the band and close friends/fam/colleagues.
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,312
    jjflash said:

Say, for example, whoever owns the Benny vinyl #1/2000...that's gotta fetch a more hefty price tag than higher numbered copies. BUT, there's the nice backstory that goes along with it where, I think, the low numbers for it were originally given to the band and close friends/fam/colleagues.
    Unless that Benny is the first vinyl stamped, then yes. But I doubt it. They were all pressed and boxed, probably numbered afterwards without any concern for the order it was pressed.(Though I could be wrong)
    On the other hand, with limited edition posters, it’s different, at least theoretically. Lower numbers in editions were always considered higher value due to screens being less used. As editions get printed, the screens aren’t as crisp. In the past, when prints were manually pulled, buildup of inks were prevalent. Today, not as much. And with giclees, well that’s a different story.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,503
    There’s certainly a psychological aspect to it. People used to assume AP runs were different but it’s all the same - just random posters from the pile pulled for the artist to sign. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    I have 2 Raleigh 1998 both with the same number.  Is that anything special?
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    jjflash said:

Unless that Benny is the first vinyl stamped, then yes. But I doubt it. They were all pressed and boxed, probably numbered afterwards without any concern for the order it was pressed.(Though I could be wrong)
    On the other hand, with limited edition posters, it’s different, at least theoretically. Lower numbers in editions were always considered higher value due to screens being less used. As editions get printed, the screens aren’t as crisp. In the past, when prints were manually pulled, buildup of inks were prevalent. Today, not as much. And with giclees, well that’s a different story.
    Rumor is that the first 10 Bennys were stamped for the remaining 10 first members.

I've only seen one of them so I'm not sure about the other nine?

They were written on so not really stamped but they are different in what is written on them.
  • Options
    otter said:
    One is fake?
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,312
    jjflash said:

Rumor is that the first 10 Bennys were stamped for the remaining 10 first members.

They were written on so not really stamped but they are different in what is written on them.
    Good to know. Tankyou.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,382
    edited February 2019
    jjflash said:

Pretty cool rumor if true
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    jjflash said:

Pretty cool rumor if true
    I've seen one so it's not a rumor, what I meant was the rumor was 10 made like that when it could have been 20.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    As an artist with a degree in printmaking, I can tell you that plates, screens, collagraphs, woodcuts... degrade as you use them. Screens may be replaced after so many prints are pulled, but the more crisp image of a traditional print run would be your earlier numbers. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    As an artist with a degree in printmaking, I can tell you that plates, screens, collagraphs, woodcuts... degrade as you use them. Screens may be replaced after so many prints are pulled, but the more crisp image of a traditional print run would be your earlier numbers. 
    Interesting. Thanks!
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    deadendp said:
    Just because it's numbered #1 doesn't mean it was actually printed first.
  • Options
    CopperTom said:
    deadendp said:
    True. That is the beginning of the true edition for sales, but APs are pulled to work out the kinks. Artist proofs were our working pieces in art school and you ran the edition after that. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    CopperTom said:
    deadendp said:
    True. That is the beginning of the true edition for sales, but APs are pulled to work out the kinks. Artist proofs were our working pieces in art school and you ran the edition after that. 
    They call those "test prints" now.  Anything different from the OG run is a test.  Then the AP's are what the artist sells themselves.

Then there are HC or "House Copies" and possibly an AP2 which may be an extension of the AP's or just overstock for damaged ones.
  • Options
    I'm old school. :smiley:
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    otter said:
    One is fake?
    I think the artist just accidentally wrote the same number twice 
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    otter said:
    otter said:
    One is fake?
    I think the artist just accidentally wrote the same number twice 
    If you got them at the show you should be fine but it's nothing special.  If anything that's a hindrance if you go to sell it.  People are going to wonder why you have two of the same number print.
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Sorry to (hopefully) briefly sidetrack things, but this seems an appropriate spot to ask this question, lol.

Does anyone know if there’s any significance to the numbering of the anti-flipper stickers on the backs of posters?

"The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    Sorry to (hopefully) briefly sidetrack things, but this seems an appropriate spot to ask this question, lol.

Does anyone know if there’s any significance to the numbering of the anti-flipper stickers on the backs of posters?

I tried cataloging numbers at one time to see what size print runs are but it needs a lot of participation...
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414

I tried cataloging numbers at one time to see what size print runs are but it needs a lot of participation...
    This is from a Toronto 2 2016 poster (the blue jay), bought through the shop, if that helps any, lol. Quite the task to undertake!
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    deadendp said:
    What is the useful life of a screen used to make the posters?
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    deadendp said:
    With technology now it wouldn't take much to make another one.  
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Get_Right said:
    deadendp said:
    I did look that up. A properly cared for screen was estimated to be 10K prints. I would have thought breakdown would have been sooner. I did some screen printing, but they were very limited runs. 

I mostly studied etching (zinc plates), woodcuts, linoleum blocks, collagraphs (basically a collage of items you glue down to a surface, seal, ink and print), monoprints (basically drawing in ink on a flat surface such as acrylic or glass, printing until the ink is gone to ghost), photo plates, lithography and embossing. Each print matrix has a limited lifespan. Metal plates lose the burr/edge that grabs ink, monoprints are a one ink run, litho is a pain in the ass (I had a stone break on the press and since etching takes a week, I threw it into a bucket and just turned that in), but in my experience, wood and lino cuts last longer since those are not generally subjected to the pressure of a press. 

(More than you want to know.)