Options

DIGITAL 10c MEMBERSHIP?

WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 494
i've always been analog. now that the 7" is discontinued, what's the difference for me just being digital now and saving $20/year. i don't care about the tshirt. which in this case isn't "free" as you're actually paying $20 for it. my renewal comes up next week. 
thoughts?
First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,813
    i've always been analog. now that the 7" is discontinued, what's the difference for me just being digital now and saving $20/year. i don't care about the tshirt. which in this case isn't "free" as you're actually paying $20 for it. my renewal comes up next week. 
    thoughts?
    If you do not want the shirt and do not want to spend $20 for a $10 coupon and Deep mag then it is a no brainer what you should do. 
  • Options
    Go digital if you don’t care about the shirt.
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 902
    I wonder in terms of dollars what the effect on the ten club will be financially from the large quantity of members migrating to digital
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,813
    KN219077 said:
    I wonder in terms of dollars what the effect on the ten club will be financially from the large quantity of members migrating to digital
    I would say that if they do not lose anyone the hit would be very small if they even get a hit at all. For $20 you used to get a shirt and a single shipped to you plus a magazine. I would guess that barely covers the cost of everything that goes into those items. 
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    Have any Digital members received a download for a Single at all this year?  I know they aren't doing Singles anymore but I thought we were getting one more (the one we were supposed to get in 2017)??   
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    We are behind on two. 2016 and 2018. (They will tell you 2017 and 2018, but 2016 came in dated 2017 and with 2017 material.) 

They are "forthcoming" much like the album. In other words, given the winter they are predicting, there is a good chance that hell may very well freeze over first. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 902
    I feel like a digital download of an unreleased live song is like minimal effort for the band’s management 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,239
    Analog has the shirt, code for a single live show (mp3), and the magazine.

I switched to digital.   I don't really wear the 10c shirts.   I like to buy cd's of the live shows I go to and don't really use the codes.  The magazine is kind of meh and there a few years behind on them.

Analog was all about the vinyl single for me. 

Still I don't think $30 (or $20 for US people) wasn't horrible for a shirt, single, mp3 download, and newsletter.   It's that all I wanted was the single.  Didn't really need the other bonuses.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    Zod said:

I switched to digital.   I don't really wear the 10c shirts.   I like to buy cd's of the live shows I go to and don't really use the codes.  The magazine is kind of meh and there a few years behind on them.

Still I don't think $30 (or $20 for US people) wasn't horrible for a shirt, single, mp3 download, and newsletter.   It's that all I wanted was the single.  Didn't really need the other bonuses.
    Was (is) the shipping of the shirt (and other items) to Canada included in the membership fee?
  • Options
    rummy said:
    Zod said:

Was (is) the shipping of the shirt (and other items) to Canada included in the membership fee?
    It is, but it's why Analog costs $10 more if you don't live in the US.
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    We are behind on two. 2016 and 2018. (They will tell you 2017 and 2018, but 2016 came in dated 2017 and with 2017 material.) 

They are "forthcoming" much like the album. In other words, given the winter they are predicting, there is a good chance that hell may very well freeze over first. 
    One of the many reasons I cancelled my Ten Club membership.  All they care about is selling merch.  My favourite band since 1995 has lost me as a fan.  After 15 years I have decided not to renew it when it expires on November 29.  The only thing I will really miss is this forum.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,302
    E.K said:
    deadendp said:

One of the many reasons I cancelled my Ten Club membership.  All they care about is selling merch.  My favourite band since 1995 has lost me as a fan.  After 15 years I have decided not to renew it when it expires on November 29.  The only thing I will really miss is this forum.
    Fair. I'm not ready to leave yet but I've never been so unexcited by the band. 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    E.K said:
    deadendp said:

I would not say that they are only interested in merch. From my view, I see most have kids and organizations that they love to support. We have a band who is very passionate about supporting those in need. Time management has never been their strong suit. It's a combination of things. 
  • Options
    NewJPage said:
    E.K said:
    deadendp said:

Fair. I'm not ready to leave yet but I've never been so unexcited by the band. 
    Having said that if they do tour Australia again, I will definitely be getting tickets.  
  • Options
    So I got sucked in and renewed my 10 club digital membership for another year.  With all the "rumours" about them touring Europe next year I figured they would probably add an Australian tour to the end of next year.  
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    When I got me membership renewal email it said:

"*Please Note: The Ten Club Single has been discontinued beginning for 2019 Memberships. The Band is still making the Deep Magazine for the fan club."

Is that some sort of joke, like they are not years behind on the Deep Magazine as well.

Ive moved to Digital, my $20 is for the opportunity to buy exclusive vinyl such as Sevens or the Vaults. Not interested in anything else. 

• Options
    As far as fan clubs charging membership dues for presale tickets, $20/yr is pretty good.  Perfectly content going digital even if I only use it to seek out shows every 2 or 3 years.

I don't think the band is all merch.   Usually the stuff we complain about is limited, so by the time you divide it up by the 10c and 5 members of the band, how much do they really get from it.  They're big money maker is touring.   The merch they sell at a single concert (especially a stadium) probably puts the website to shame.   Tickets and tour merch keeps the band going. 

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,601
    FR181798 said:

"*Please Note: The Ten Club Single has been discontinued beginning for 2019 Memberships. The Band is still making the Deep Magazine for the fan club."

Is that some sort of joke, like they are not years behind on the Deep Magazine as well.

Ive moved to Digital, my $20 is for the opportunity to buy exclusive vinyl such as Sevens or the Vaults. Not interested in anything else. 

I'm pretty sure the Vaults are available to anyone, not just members.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    PJ_Soul said:
    FR181798 said:

I'm pretty sure the Vaults are available to anyone, not just members.
    In the beginning you had to be a member but last 2 I think anyone could buy, another reason gone I guess.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    As far as fan clubs charging membership dues for presale tickets, $20/yr is pretty good.  Perfectly content going digital even if I only use it to seek out shows every 2 or 3 years.

I don't think the band is all merch.   Usually the stuff we complain about is limited, so by the time you divide it up by the 10c and 5 members of the band, how much do they really get from it.  They're big money maker is touring.   The merch they sell at a single concert (especially a stadium) probably puts the website to shame.   Tickets and tour merch keeps the band going. 

Phish, Dead and Co, and plenty of bands don't even have "fan clubs" or charge any sort of fees for access to pre-sale tickets.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• Options
    Zod said:

Phish, Dead and Co, and plenty of bands don't even have "fan clubs" or charge any sort of fees for access to pre-sale tickets.
    True, but quite often it makes life easier when they do.   On the scale of fan clubs that charge $50usd for crappy presale tickets, and the odd band that has a free one (Metallica), $20/yr isn't horrible.  That being said many of the other ones you can hop on/off when there aren't tours.  With 10c (especially if you hold an older membership) it's harder to skip years due to seniority having a benefit.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    FR181798 said:

So I got sucked in and renewed my Digital membership for another year.  Just checked my bank statement and see that it cost me 32 Australian dollars.
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    E.K said:
    So I got sucked in and renewed my 10 club digital membership for another year.  With all the "rumours" about them touring Europe next year I figured they would probably add an Australian tour to the end of next year.  

E.K said:

So I got sucked in and renewed my Digital membership for another year.  Just checked my bank statement and see that it cost me 32 Australian dollars.

You've heard of free will right? Nobody forced you. Please quit complaining.
  • Options
    E.K said:
    FR181798 said:

Isn't that normal?  I'm Canadian and our dollar is pretty close in value to the Australian dollar.  I'm used to getting hosed on the exchange rate :(
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    E.K said:

E.K said:

Post edited by E.K on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Zod said:
    E.K said:
    FR181798 said:

Isn't that normal?  I'm Canadian and our dollar is pretty close in value to the Australian dollar.  I'm used to getting hosed on the exchange rate :(
    Zod said:
    E.K said:
    FR181798 said:

Exchange rate plus some of it was a sale tax. It used to be $20 per year.  Not impressed! 
  • Options
    E.K said:

E.K said:

I thought it was going to be $20 like it was in previous ears so I have any every right to complain!  I feel ripped off. 
  • Options
    E.K said:
    Zod said:
    E.K said:
    FR181798 said:

Zod said:
    E.K said:
    FR181798 said:

Exchange rate plus some of it was a sale tax. It used to be $20 per year.  Not impressed! 

• Options
    edited December 2019
    deadendp said:

deadendp said:
    E.K said:
    Zod said:
    E.K said:
    FR181798 said:

Zod said:
    E.K said:
    FR181798 said:

Yep and the rest was sales tax.
    Post edited by E.K on