Options

Japan to withdraw from International Whaling Commission: Kyodo News

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    edited December 2018
    Fuck killing or supporting the killing of animals.

LET THE WHALES ROAM THE SEAS!

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Fuckers. 

I have recently changes my will and trust such that Sea Shepherd Conservation Society will inherit 50% of the value and equity of my book business.  I hope there are still whales left to save by then.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    Fuckers. 

I have recently changes my will and trust such that Sea Shepherd Conservation Society will inherit 50% of the value and equity of my book business.  I hope there are still whales left to save by then.
    I have them being in the treaty did not matter.  I guess they are granted an exemption for research and were still harvesting whale.  

That is mighty generous of you Brian. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Fuckers. 

I have them being in the treaty did not matter.  I guess they are granted an exemption for research and were still harvesting whale.  

You are absolutely right, meltdown, the Japanese have all but ignored the IWC restrictions on whaling, but at least the commission somewhat keeps and eye on them.  But that has not been enough, which is why it has been so vital for Sea Shepherd's work to monitor and, when possible, intervene in Japan's illegal whaling activities which has included hunting protected species and using so-called "research" catches to feed the greedy mouths of wealthy business men and the like who find it chic to eat whale meat.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Fuckers. 

You are absolutely right, meltdown, the Japanese have all but ignored the IWC restrictions on whaling, but at least the commission somewhat keeps and eye on them.  But that has not been enough, which is why it has been so vital for Sea Shepherd's work to monitor and, when possible, intervene in Japan's illegal whaling activities which has included hunting protected species and using so-called "research" catches to feed the greedy mouths of wealthy business men and the like who find it chic to eat whale meat.
    I thought Japan was better than that.  I really did.  So they harvest whale for commercial purposes as well?  I follow the sea shepherd, they do good work. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Fuckers. 

I thought Japan was better than that.  I really did.  So they harvest whale for commercial purposes as well?  I follow the sea shepherd, they do good work. 
    Japan is a marvelous place and much of their culture is unique and worthy of admiration.  But there is much to be disliked as well.  It is a highly male dominated culture with women still generally expected to serve a subservient role. Yet there are wonderful Japanese activists as well who fight against whaling.  Sadly, they have a very hard time of it, often receiving  death threats and harassment.  What they are up against is basically a large number of nationalists, bureaucrats,  and wealthy business people who care about the long-term ramifications of endangered sea life or even of the health of the oceans in general.  The have no regard for the consequences of their actions.  

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Fuckers. 

Japan is a marvelous place and much of their culture is unique and worthy of admiration.  But there is much to be disliked as well.  It is a highly male dominated culture with women still generally expected to serve a subservient role. Yet there are wonderful Japanese activists as well who fight against whaling.  Sadly, they have a very hard time of it, often receiving  death threats and harassment.  What they are up against is basically a large number of nationalists, bureaucrats,  and wealthy business people who care about the long-term ramifications of endangered sea life or even of the health of the oceans in general.  The have no regard for the consequences of their actions.  
    I do even know why the Japenese need to eat whale?  I understand why people in remote northern regions eat whale, but they are not allowed to sell for commercial purpose.  I do even like seafood.  Now that I've seen just how much plastic is in the oceans, I'm staying away from seafood.  Someday they may not have to embalm us for burial, we have so much plastic in us, we'll die, but we won't decompose, the plastic in us will preserve us.  Scary.  Personally, the only way the Oceans can be saved is by a worldwide plastic ban.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Eating an endangered species may be one of the few exceptions to my being against capital punishment.

I further my resolve to a life-long boycott of all food other than sea vegetables that comes from the oceans.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Eating an endangered species may be one of the few exceptions to my being against capital punishment.

I further my resolve to a life-long boycott of all food other than sea vegetables that comes from the oceans.

In general, seafood repulses.  I have the odd fish, but not if it still smells fishy when cooked.  Plus that NJ restaurant story where the guy was served fish with live parasites that were missed in the filleting process. No thanks.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:

In general, seafood repulses.  I have the odd fish, but not if it still smells fishy when cooked.  Plus that NJ restaurant story where the guy was served fish with live parasites that were missed in the filleting process. No thanks.
    Yuk! 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yuk! 

I have not had fish since.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:

There are parasites in most fish.  That is the reason for flash freezing the fish.

If you looked at fish on a candling table you'd be surprised at what is in a fish, lol.

Also these large bluefin are getting to be more and more rare.  Gone are the days of 1000 pound Blues roaming the ocean.

I love sushi but have backed off eating Toro for this reason.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

There are parasites in most fish.  That is the reason for flash freezing the fish.

If you looked at fish on a candling table you'd be surprised at what is in a fish, lol.

Also these large bluefin are getting to be more and more rare.  Gone are the days of 1000 pound Blues roaming the ocean.

For the most part, fish and seafood repulse me.  I'd like to know who the first person who picked up an oyster and said: "oh, look at that lovely piece of snot, I think I'll have some".  LOL.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:

For the most part, fish and seafood repulse me.  I'd like to know who the first person who picked up an oyster and said: "oh, look at that lovely piece of snot, I think I'll have some".  LOL.
    Oysters are delicious!

• Options
    brianlux said:

Oysters are delicious!

LOL.  I just can not get past the look.  And I am in no way judging someone who enjoys seafood.  Lots of people enjoy seafood.  Put a steak or bacon in front of me, now we are talking.
    Give Peas A Chance…