Options

Alice in Wonderland Syndrome

eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
Anyone experience this when they were younger? When i was about 7-8 I remember experiencing this. I would be laying in bed trying to fall asleep when the walls would look further and further away. I would shut my eyes and it would still seem like they were further away. It was kinda scary (not as scary as sleep paralysis, which I've had) especially when i was younger. Kinda went till maybe around high school. then eventually went away. Seems to affect mostly young people.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
8/28/98- Camden, NJ
10/31/09- Philly
5/21/10- NYC
9/2/12- Philly, PA
7/19/13- Wrigley
10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
10/21/13- Philly, PA
10/22/13- Philly, PA
10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

Comments

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    I have never heard of this. It sounds pretty freaky/scary to experience.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    I've never heard of this before nor had it happen.  But I did see a blank wall one time suddenly become covered in iridescent purple Micky Mouse wall paper.  And the brownies were delicious.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Never heard of this.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    I was thinking maybe this would be about...

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    haha love me some Jefferson Airplane
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    haha love me some Jefferson Airplane
    :plus_one:

Just don't stare at that image too long, haha!

• Options
    hard to, it messes with my head.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I experienced some symptoms when I was younger but mine were the type where parts of my body would feel bigger than they were. And no I'm not talking about boners :lol: It was like I suddenly had Popeye's forearms or Uatu's head.  I was never really frightened by it, but it was certainly a strange feeling.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    SD48277 said:
    I have never heard of this. It sounds pretty freaky/scary to experience.
    when i was younger it kinda was

I experienced some symptoms when I was younger but mine were the type where parts of my body would feel bigger than they were. And no I'm not talking about boners :lol: It was like I suddenly had Popeye's forearms or Uatu's head.  I was never really frightened by it, but it was certainly a strange feeling.
    :lol: at the boner part
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Never heard of this, but I have my own unique brain-spaz at the edge of sleep.  Out of nowhere I would suddenly hear my name being said by seemingly every voice that I could recognise saying my name out loud.  Not simultaneous, more like a cascade or a wave that would last a second and a half or so.  I could usually induce it to happen another time or two by thinking about it in the seconds after the initial spontaneous eruption.  When in highschool, with a large social circle, it was a pretty neat thing to hear, dozens of people saying your name with various inflections...some soft and/or friendly, others loud or rebuking.  
    It doesn't happen anymore, my guess is that it's because I don't have a social circle wherein people say my name out loud.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    I have Exploding Head Syndrome.

Not literally, luckily. And not often anymore, which is a relief because it is very briefly awful when it happens. It's a weird, almost-painful, extremely loud crashing noise. Yay me :lol:

https://www.tuck.com/exploding-head-syndrome/
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Not literally, luckily. And not often anymore, which is a relief because it is very briefly awful when it happens. It's a weird, almost-painful, extremely loud crashing noise. Yay me :lol:

The article describes Exploding Head Syndrome as a sudden and alarming loud noise while falling asleep.  I have had that from time to time.  It's weird though because even though I have a bit of PTSD due to a sudden explosion years ago and am highly sensitive to sudden and loud noises, this only bothered me the first few times.  I guess it's because it's a perceived sound, not a real sound, and it doesn't really hurt my ears too badly, and because it is kind of trippy when it happens, I not only don't mind it, sometimes I'm kind of fascinated by it.

• Options
    brianlux said:

The article describes Exploding Head Syndrome as a sudden and alarming loud noise while falling asleep.  I have had that from time to time.  It's weird though because even though I have a bit of PTSD due to a sudden explosion years ago and am highly sensitive to sudden and loud noises, this only bothered me the first few times.  I guess it's because it's a perceived sound, not a real sound, and it doesn't really hurt my ears too badly, and because it is kind of trippy when it happens, I not only don't mind it, sometimes I'm kind of fascinated by it.

Well then, yay you, brian ;)

I hate it when it happens, so I'm glad it isn't frequent. It really startles me awake and it's hard to relax again. Plus it feels like it did hurt, which is odd - it's so brief that by the time you recognize it, it's over, and it seems like it hurt but you're not really sure. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I wonder how they identified EHS as a separate thing, rather than just a subset of a regular hypnic jerk?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    What are the odds I start to diagnose myself with both of these conditions now for a few weeks after reading about both of them this morning. Aaaah!
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I wonder how they identified EHS as a separate thing, rather than just a subset of a regular hypnic jerk?
    Who are you calling a hypnic jerk?!?! ;) 

I think they just liked the name. 
  • Options
    Parasomnias - always a blast.