Options

Learning a second language. Any tips?

I have traveled a lot to see Pearl Jam the last 10 years and I can see at some point when retired or semi-retired living outside of the USA for six months at a time.  South America (Buenos Aires/Santiago) would definitely be on the short list but I know zero Spanish.  Italy would also be on the list but again, I don't know any Italian.

I searched and all of the threads were old.  Anyone have any success over the age of 30 and working a lot learning a new language? 

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    I think that's a great idea.  I've often thought about taking up Spanish again myself.  Hablo español, pero un poco.  They say learning a language helps create new brain patterns to help fend off dementia.  But some of my friends think I'm a bit demented any way.

If I were to get back into learning Spanish again I would get some language CDs, a phrase book (Rick Steve's, Lonely Planet and DK all publish phrase books that sell well) and maybe tune into the Spanish TV channel once in a while.  Maybe also rent English speaking movies and turn on the Spanish sub-titles.

My sister is taking private French language classes and they've had some events at which they only speak to each other in French.  She says being around other foreign language speakers helps a lot.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

I have traveled a lot to see Pearl Jam the last 10 years and I can see at some point when retired or semi-retired living outside of the USA for six months at a time.  South America (Buenos Aires/Santiago) would definitely be on the short list but I know zero Spanish.  Italy would also be on the list but again, I don't know any Italian.

I searched and all of the threads were old.  Anyone have any success over the age of 30 and working a lot learning a new language? 

My Dad took up learning Spanish when he retired at 55.  He still does Spanish lessons on his computer, 83.  Learning a second language is a great endeavour...and he has been to Spain and Mexico and gets complimented for his good Spanish.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    GirlFromBGirlFromB Brussels BE Posts: 1
    What a great idea! You’re never too old to learn anything.
    Some thoughts for you ... 

If you are familiar with Latin than Italian will be easiest. But this language is only officially
    spoken in a few countries in the world. Spanish could be a good start as this might offer you more active practice now and larger “territory” later. 
    I grew up in a multilingual environment (dutch & french & english) but without native speaking people around you and little opportunity to practice, it’s hard te learn and maintain.
    Spanish is versatile and you will be able to use it in South-America, Spain and all the spanish speaking communities around the world. Most Brazilians understand Spanish and if you have a good Spanish base knowledge, some Italian will be easier to learn. Bonus: In Italy and Portugal, you can get away with Spanish a lot of the times.
    I learned Italian first and when I’m in Spain I mix up often but there are a lot of similarities. Even French is quiet related to Spanish.
    And think of all those Almodovar movies you’ll be able to understand ;)
    Italian is def more frivolous and very dramatic as a language, maybe with a more elegant and playful feeling when you speak it. Spanish feels more exotic to me, more laid-back, sensual and practical at once. Tough choice ;)

On a daily practice level I recommend reading magazines, following Sp or It instagram accounts that double their captions in English, watching movies with subs (your faves are a good starts if you know the script by heart), graphic comics and travel translation books (like “for dummies”). They cover the essentials which gives you enough background to handle yourself in social situations, that takes away the understandable beginner’s fear of applying your newly acquired skills. And you’ll always know how to ask for the bathroom ;)
    Remember that no matter how you decide to learn it, on or offline, private tuition, group lessons or individual self study: a language is a lifelong path which begins with one modest step. Taking that step is a brave thing that will enrich your life and extend your view on the world.
    Bonne chance, buona fortuna, buena suerte, veel geluk, good luck!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    Huevos rancheros amigos!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    edited December 2018
    Bootlegger, believe in yourself, practice, practice, practice and you can do anything :smile:
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Practice, practice, practice. Get it into the long term memory and it will never leave you. Be around native speakers where possible, for true authenticity.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    Bootlegger, believe in yourself, practice, practice, practice and you can do anything :smile:

Thank you!  

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    Practice, practice, practice. Get it into the long term memory and it will never leave you. Be around native speakers where possible, for true authenticity.

I do have a couple co-workers that are fluent in Spanish.  

The more I think about it, I think once I'm done working I'll spend six months at a time living in different countries.  Would be interesting. 

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,514
    edited December 2018
    I can't quite agree with the "never leave you" part. One of my ex BFs is French, and he did know some English when he came to Canada, and could kind of write in English for scientific papers (he is a physicist), but there was a pretty major language barrier when he first arrived. But within 6 months he had become much more fluent in English, and after a year he said he was now thinking in English more often than not, and dreaming in English (which really upset him, lol!). Fast forward only 5 years after he went back to France, and his spoken and written skills had collapsed pretty badly (except for the scientific language). I mean, of course he didn't lose everything, but I was surprised to find out how much he'd lost.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822

I do have a couple co-workers that are fluent in Spanish.  

The more I think about it, I think once I'm done working I'll spend six months at a time living in different countries.  Would be interesting. 

Immersion is the way to go. If you can do even a shorter travel immersion program it will help immensely. Talking to native speakers is important too. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf