Options

Welcome to South Africa Mr Vedder!

southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,011
Hope you enjoy our beautiful country and warm hospitality! 

If you do play 'Imagine' on Sunday please dedicate it to all the people over the decades who gave their lives so that we could be free today..... 

And please bring Pearl Jam to South Africa  :)
rustedsigns

Comments

• Options
    I can’t wait to visit again. I have been 3 times and Lesotho once. I hope to make it to Cape Town at least once in the future! 

Wishing you all a great concert and I agree PJ should visit too.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    Maybe while in South Africa, Eddie can speak up about white farmers having their land seized without compensation by the government.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    shecky said:
    Maybe while in South Africa, Eddie can speak up about white farmers having their land seized without compensation by the government.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 900
    Didn’t read the article but pretty sure it’s what happened in Zimbabwe, not SA. 
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    KN219077 said:
    What happened is that a myth about SA and white farmers that is meant to stir up racist sentiment is being propagated by the President of the United States of America and some people are falling for it (I tend to believe those who do are ripe for it anyhow though). And FWIW, the farmers in Zimbabwe are fine too - they were all given 99 year leases early this year.

But anyway, I don't want to derail the thread too much. Glad SA is getting EV. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 900
    PJ_Soul said:
    KN219077 said:
    What happened is that a myth about SA and white farmers that is meant to stir up racist sentiment is being propagated by the President of the United States of America and some people are falling for it (I tend to believe those who do are ripe for it anyhow though). And FWIW, the farmers in Zimbabwe are fine too - they were all given 99 year leases early this year.

But anyway, I don't want to derail the thread too much. Glad SA is getting EV. :)
    Not sure fine is the way I would lable people that were exiled then asked to come back 18 years after the government started taking over. 
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    KN219077 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KN219077 said:

Not sure fine is the way I would lable people that were exiled then asked to come back 18 years after the government started taking over. 
    Fine as in better - not dealing with the same issue anymore is what I meant. They've found some redemption. I'm sure many of them are very relieved and feel even better than fine.... We all know the continent of Africa has a LOT of problems within it - talking about them all here doesn't seem like the right place. In any case, let's just make it clear that the comment about SA farmers is not correct.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I hope all of the fans in South Africa have a wonderful celebration. 

A great man deserves such an honor and it is going to be a huge deal. I can't imagine how exciting it is for South Africans, both for Mandela's birthday and for the artists of all sorts that are honoring him. 

I wish it was a possible to go but enjoy EV!!!  
  • Options
    LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    edited December 2018
    pjsoul, your above statements are purely ridiculous. Eddie gets political all the time. No matter where he is. He seems to like to speak his mind. Also, unless this current administration has secretly been in power since the issues with SA started, you probably shouldn’t be blaming this administration for what is and has been being talked about for years. I don’t think it’s a racist thing as more a government corrupt. Only when they lost all that revenue they decided they would like them to come back so they could learn then take it back again. Never trust a snake. Just my opinion and i’ve met people who left there years ago who left due to what was going on. 
    Post edited by LongestRoad on
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547
    PJ_Soul said:
    KN219077 said:

You can look directly at steve bannon  and his white nationalist cohorts for the myth about the farmers
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441

White farmers' legal fight against plans to give their land to black South Africans without compensation is thrown out by country's High Court

• South Africa's High Court rejected a legal challenge brought by white farmers
    • President Cyril Ramaphosa plans land expropriation without any compensation
    • Afriforum questioned legality of change to the constitution to allow land reforms

By REUTERS and AP

PUBLISHED: 06:46 EST, 30 November 2018 UPDATED: 16:10 EST, 30 November 2018

South Africa's High Court rejected a legal challenge today brought by a group representing white farmers against President Cyril Ramaphosa's plans for land expropriation without compensation.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,786
    Jeez. A positive thread spun into bullshit. As usual. 
  • Options
    The OP started a post to welcome Eddie Vedder to their country and express their excitement.  He is there to celebrate a great man's birthday and do so with an organization that wants to end global poverty.

A conspiracy theory thread is easy to create. 

I think the OP deserves to have thread integrity and frankly, the respect of their fellow fans. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    Ed himself stated that GC is all about positive people & energy , all the negative people here need to go away !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Ed himself stated that GC is all about positive people & energy , all the negative people here need to go away !
    I saw that this morning. :smile: 

I wonder if  @southernmanfan was in attendance when Ed played the song he wanted to hear? I hope so. 
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    pjsoul, your above statements are purely ridiculous. Eddie gets political all the time. No matter where he is. He seems to like to speak his mind. Also, unless this current administration has secretly been in power since the issues with SA started, you probably shouldn’t be blaming this administration for what is and has been being talked about for years. I don’t think it’s a racist thing as more a government corrupt. Only when they lost all that revenue they decided they would like them to come back so they could learn then take it back again. Never trust a snake. Just my opinion and i’ve met people who left there years ago who left due to what was going on. 
    It is this admin that is using this bullshit twisted story as racist propaganda. I never said they caused any issues at all. They are just using a complete misrepresentation of the truth as a dog whistle. It's what they do. And it works on some people, clearly, since that is exactly why Shecky, who is being triggered by misleading headlines and obviously not doing any real research on the matter, chose to inappropriately mention it here in the first place, without any mention of what's actually going on with land expropriation and confiscation in South Africa.

Yeah, I love that EV is political. I don't know what that has to do with anything. I doubt EV likes racist propaganda more than any other decent person, and likes the actual truth.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    njnancy said:
    The OP started a post to welcome Eddie Vedder to their country and express their excitement.  He is there to celebrate a great man's birthday and do so with an organization that wants to end global poverty.

I think the OP deserves to have thread integrity and frankly, the respect of their fellow fans. 
    Agreed. I come here to get the fuck away from our cocaine infused news cycle. If I want to read about it, I'll visit the forum dedicated to politics. If I want to read about beer, or weed, or if that dude is gonna ask out Felicity or not, I'll have a drink, er, visit to AET.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    njnancy said:

Agreed. I come here to get the fuck away from our cocaine infused news cycle. If I want to read about it, I'll visit the forum dedicated to politics. If I want to read about beer, or weed, or if that dude is gonna ask out Felicity or not, I'll have a drink, er, visit to AET.
    HAHA! As soon and Dawson and Joey get back together.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Hi everyone. it has been a very busy two days for me. Only got to bed at 4am. 

The Global Citizen Festival Mandela 100 here in Johannesburg, my home town, was a huge success and incredible event! Naturally I was there to see Eddie perform in my city and country. A huge honour and truly, truly special. This would have been the 20th time I have seen him perform-16 PJ shows and three solo shows. It was incredible. I could not believe he started with Porch, then into Long Road, Betterman and ending wth Imagine. All of this with the Soweto Gospel Choir. I think it was at this point that my voice started to play up as I was singing at the top of my voice and cheering even louder. It was an overwhelming moment for me. 

The crowd had no clue who Ed was apart from a very small percentage of the people in the stadium. But it did not detract from the sincerity and humility with which he delivered those songs. I was in my element. Thank you Ed. 

I just wanted to say something about the land matter here even though it had nothing to do with the original post. There is in current day South Africa a huge imbalance in land ownership due to historical issues as we all know. That is an injustice that must be corrected. So unless you do not believe in justice you will believe that white farmers are being ostracised by the present day government. That is simply not true. 

I just wanted to put that on record and speaking as a South African. 

Once again, thank you Ed. A beautiful and special night under African skies. 
    rustedsigns
  • Options

The Global Citizen Festival Mandela 100 here in Johannesburg, my home town, was a huge success and incredible event! Naturally I was there to see Eddie perform in my city and country. A huge honour and truly, truly special. This would have been the 20th time I have seen him perform-16 PJ shows and three solo shows. It was incredible. I could not believe he started with Porch, then into Long Road, Betterman and ending wth Imagine. All of this with the Soweto Gospel Choir. I think it was at this point that my voice started to play up as I was singing at the top of my voice and cheering even louder. It was an overwhelming moment for me. 

The crowd had no clue who Ed was apart from a very small percentage of the people in the stadium. But it did not detract from the sincerity and humility with which he delivered those songs. I was in my element. Thank you Ed. 

I just wanted to say something about the land matter here even though it had nothing to do with the original post. There is in current day South Africa a huge imbalance in land ownership due to historical issues as we all know. That is an injustice that must be corrected. So unless you do not believe in justice you will believe that white farmers are being ostracised by the present day government. That is simply not true. 

Did you catch GnR's 4 hour show?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Did you catch GnR's 4 hour show?
    No I didn't. Never really been a huge fan. 
    rustedsigns