Atlanta, GA - Fox Theater Night 2 Show 4/3/94

Hello all. First Off I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their stories from both the Philly and Reading shows. A lot of great stuff in those threads and we used many of those stories on those episodes. Even though Reading isn't out until Friday, the Philly episode is available and can be found on any one of those links you see in my signature below.

The next show we're doing is a little less recent and will need some help from the old school fan. We're covering the Atlanta show at Fox Theater, night 2 in 1994. This show was a free radio broadcast for any station that chose to pick it up. It is also the last show played before the death of Cobain and one of the last few shows played with Dave A behind the kit (including the last time he played on a full version of W.M.A.). Other highlights include the live debut of Satan's Bed and just the 3rd time that Better Man was played.

If you either attended this show, remember hearing it on the radio or remember what was going on with the band during this time period, we'd love to hear from you. Your stories give us a good direction for how we structure the podcast and the more that we get, the better idea we have of how to cover it. Thanks again.
Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    BSE!!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • This episode is out! Lots of great discussions covering Ed singing Vs. songs then and now, Kurt Cobain’s death at this time, and a version of Porch that was absolutely mind blowing. See links in my signature below to listen.
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,242
    This episode is out! Lots of great discussions covering Ed singing Vs. songs then and now, Kurt Cobain’s death at this time, and a version of Porch that was absolutely mind blowing. See links in my signature below to listen.
    Kurt wasn't dead during this show - he'd escaped the rehab facility he was in and was headed back to Seattle if memory serves, suicide on 4/5/94.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    This episode is out! Lots of great discussions covering Ed singing Vs. songs then and now, Kurt Cobain’s death at this time, and a version of Porch that was absolutely mind blowing. See links in my signature below to listen.
    Kurt wasn't dead during this show - he'd escaped the rehab facility he was in and was headed back to Seattle if memory serves, suicide on 4/5/94.
    he's talking about the larger time period, not that he was dead as if this show, in the podcast they specifically talk about this show being the last Pearl Jam played while Cobain was still alive.  Pearl Jam's next show after this was 4.6 in Springfield.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• NoloadNoload Posts: 1,630
    I was only 18 for this one.  I didn't have a lot of concert experience so when the concert tix went on sale for these shows which were announced on the local radio station, I had no idea that people went to multiple shows from the same band when they played 2 shows and such.  We went to the Macon Mall ticket area at the customer service kiosk because that's how you bought tickets in Macon, GA in the 1990s.  I only asked for the Saturday since that made the most sense and I wanted my girlfriend who was 16 to be able to attend and no way she was going out on an Easter Sunday school night.  We enjoyed the hell out of the show and Dave A. thumped unlit cigs out of the windows upstairs at the Fox and then came down and talked to us and signed some stuff so it was fun.  I listened to the Sunday show on 99x after that but never knew it would become so iconic in the PJ world.  I was pretty happy with the 4/2 setlist especially Outta My Mind (in retrospect).  Made my journey to Fenway 1 feel like I closed the loop.  Now lets do 5 shows at the Fox in Atl in after a new album in 2019!!
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,242
    PB11041 said:
    he's talking about the larger time period, not that he was dead as if this show, in the podcast they specifically talk about this show being the last Pearl Jam played while Cobain was still alive.  Pearl Jam's next show after this was 4.6 in Springfield.

Word
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PB11041 said:

Thanks for listening!

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,555
    Noload said:
    I was only 18 for this one.  I didn't have a lot of concert experience so when the concert tix went on sale for these shows which were announced on the local radio station, I had no idea that people went to multiple shows from the same band when they played 2 shows and such.  We went to the Macon Mall ticket area at the customer service kiosk because that's how you bought tickets in Macon, GA in the 1990s.  I only asked for the Saturday since that made the most sense and I wanted my girlfriend who was 16 to be able to attend and no way she was going out on an Easter Sunday school night.  We enjoyed the hell out of the show and Dave A. thumped unlit cigs out of the windows upstairs at the Fox and then came down and talked to us and signed some stuff so it was fun.  I listened to the Sunday show on 99x after that but never knew it would become so iconic in the PJ world.  I was pretty happy with the 4/2 setlist especially Outta My Mind (in retrospect).  Made my journey to Fenway 1 feel like I closed the loop.  Now lets do 5 shows at the Fox in Atl in after a new album in 2019!!
    This is a perfect illustration of what happens when a show gets widely bootlegged in great quality, as the 4/3 show did. It gets all the love.
    I maintain that Hamburg 11/4/96 is a better show than the Berlin 11/3/96 show, but Berlin gets all the love because it was on the radio.
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    Noload said:
    This is a perfect illustration of what happens when a show gets widely bootlegged in great quality, as the 4/3 show did. It gets all the love.
    I maintain that Hamburg 11/4/96 is a better show than the Berlin 11/3/96 show, but Berlin gets all the love because it was on the radio.
    You are correct on Hamburg.  But the 4.3 show was a monster.

But that said, most of the Spring 1994 shows were.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• This is my all time favorite PJ show and I wasn't even these.  Just an epic show and I have the CD's from WBCN somewhere.  WMA with King's X.  The dribbling basketball on the radio broadcast.  "Private Raaadiooo."    "You can sit on the stool.  We'll all be on the stool."  "We don't have to thank any sponsors.  There were no fucking sponsors."  Satan's Bed and Better Man in their infancy.  "This song goes out to the bastard that married my mama."  So many memories from this show.  This was without question the show that hooked me as a fan.  The aura of that radio broadcast was simply just special and something that can't be manufactured.  Just awesome.  I will give this a listen to this week.  Thanks for putting it together.
  • This version of Indifference is still the best I have heard.

Vedder changes his octave so slightly during "I will hold the candle, til it burns up my arm".

I miss that in the band now.  I like the changes...
  • This version of Indifference is still the best I have heard.

Vedder changes his octave so slightly during "I will hold the candle, til it burns up my arm".

I miss that in the band now.  I like the changes...
    Great call and I totally agree with this.
  • Great versions of Garden and Black too!  Vedder changes the octave HARD in Black during "I take a WALK OUTSIDE..." Still gives me chills. I miss the changes too.