PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:
    Poncier said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I couldn’t name one tragically hip song. 

The Hip and Rush.... best Canadian bands ever l and it’s not even close.

Triumph

The Band
    The Guess Who (But yeah, The Tragically Hip is DEFINITELY the best Canadian band of all time, and one of the best bands ever in the history of Earth :) )
    My Canadian ex-girlfriend used to try to convince me of this all the time, but she liked such horrible music that I never put much stock into it.
    That was the exception to the rule for her I guess! She was right for once, lol.
    I once got out of her car and walked about 15 miles back to my dorm (mostly on International Speedway Blvd. in Florida) because she wouldn't change the radio station or just turn it off. I think it was Des'ree that finally pushed me over the edge.

It was get out or grab the wheel and steer us head-on into oncoming traffic. I think I chose wisely.
    That is some serious dedication to hating her choice in music. :lol: I had a BF for two years who played nothing but European death metal in his car... It stressed me right the fuck out and made me feel like we were always about to get in a terrible car accident, lol, but I just tolerated it anyhow. That's love for ya, hahaha.
    I never loved her. That's probably why I just got out and walked. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    U2: Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:
    Poncier said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Triumph

The Band
    The Guess Who (But yeah, The Tragically Hip is DEFINITELY the best Canadian band of all time, and one of the best bands ever in the history of Earth :) )
    My Canadian ex-girlfriend used to try to convince me of this all the time, but she liked such horrible music that I never put much stock into it.
    That was the exception to the rule for her I guess! She was right for once, lol.
    I once got out of her car and walked about 15 miles back to my dorm (mostly on International Speedway Blvd. in Florida) because she wouldn't change the radio station or just turn it off. I think it was Des'ree that finally pushed me over the edge.

It was get out or grab the wheel and steer us head-on into oncoming traffic. I think I chose wisely.
    That is some serious dedication to hating her choice in music. :lol: I had a BF for two years who played nothing but European death metal in his car... It stressed me right the fuck out and made me feel like we were always about to get in a terrible car accident, lol, but I just tolerated it anyhow. That's love for ya, hahaha.
    I never loved her. That's probably why I just got out and walked. 
    Definitely!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Beatles: Rubber Soul/ Revolver
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:
    Poncier said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Triumph

The Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IlNbsILLE

• Options
    Pearl Jam: Ten/Vs
    Just to clarify... I want everyone to know that I like other Canadian Bands/artists but The Hip and Rush are in another stratosphere for me personally.  

Triumph, April Wine, The Guess Who (Runnin Back to Saskatoon!), Junkhouse, Sloan, Slow, SNFU, Wagbeard, Treble Charger, Grapes of Wrath, Crashtest Dummies, Watchmen, Daniel Lanois, earlier Bryan Adams, Streetheart, Sarah McLachlan... all good to decent  and let’s face it, most owe it all to CANCON 
  • Options
    Don't forget The Tea Party! One of the best. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Rusty
  • Options
    Just to clarify... I want everyone to know that I like other Canadian Bands/artists but The Hip and Rush are in another stratosphere for me personally.  

Triumph, April Wine, The Guess Who (Runnin Back to Saskatoon!), Junkhouse, Sloan, Slow, SNFU, Wagbeard, Treble Charger, Grapes of Wrath, Crashtest Dummies, Watchmen, Daniel Lanois, earlier Bryan Adams, Streetheart, Sarah McLachlan... all good to decent  and let’s face it, most owe it all to CANCON 

Don't forget Neil Young- he's not too shabby! I'd definitely place him in the upper tier with Rush and the Hip.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited November 2018
    The Hip don’t belong in the conversation with Rush or Neil or The Band if we’re counting them as a Canadian, or Guess Who.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    The Hip don’t belong in the conversation with Rush or Neil or The Band if we’re counting them as a Canadian, or Guess Who.
    That's a technical foul.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    rummy said:
    Rusty
    Tin roof?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    Rusty
    Tin roof?
    Love shack! Baby...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    DewieCox said:
    That's a technical foul.
    Yes... and I'm not even sure I get the comment. Does he think that because the Hip are better than the rest of them? Because that's actually what I think, as much as I love Neil Young (I can't stand Rush, except for that one song. And The Band isn't really my cup of tea either).
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:
    That's a technical foul.
    Yes... and I'm not even sure I get the comment. Does he think that because the Hip are better than the rest of them? Because that's actually what I think, as much as I love Neil Young (I can't stand Rush, except for that one song. And The Band isn't really my cup of tea either).
    I admittedly don’t care for The Hip, but you’re talking about 3 of the most influential and successful acts of all time with a global impact. Long Time Running is a great watch but their music is bland as shit. 
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    DewieCox said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:
    That's a technical foul.
    I admittedly don’t care for The Hip, but you’re talking about 3 of the most influential and successful acts of all time with a global impact. Long Time Running is a great watch but their music is bland as shit. 
    Obviously I disagree along with the majority of Canadians, but you certainly aren't obligated to like the Hip, just like I'm not obligated to like Rush or the The Band. I couldn't care less about global impact. All I do know is that there is no way the whole country will basically shut down for a night to have a national celebration in honour of Rush or The Band or Neil Young.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:
    That's a technical foul.
    Obviously I disagree along with the majority of Canadians, but you certainly aren't obligated to like the Hip, just like I'm not obligated to like Rush or the The Band. I couldn't care less about global impact. All I do know is that there is no way the whole country will basically shut down for a night to have a national celebration in honour of Rush or The Band or Neil Young.
    The Hip are more like Canada's house band, your own secret national treasure.  Which is why the country shut down for them.  Rush, The Band, & Neil Young belong to the world.  I'd be willing to bet if Geddy, Alex, Peart, or Young died, though, there'd be a national declaration.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:
    That's a technical foul.
    The Hip are more like Canada's house band, your own secret national treasure.  Which is why the country shut down for them.  Rush, The Band, & Neil Young belong to the world.  I'd be willing to bet if Geddy, Alex, Peart, or Young died, though, there'd be a national declaration.
    Yes, I know why The Hip is so celebrated here.
    I doubt there would be more than a blip on the local news when the guy from The Band dies. And a longer story on the news when Geddy dies. And a longer one yet for Neil, probably. Like as long as 3 minutes, lol. I'm not even sure what you mean by a national declaration though. I do agree that Rush, The Band, and Neil Young are internationally popular. I'm certainly not arguing that The Hip are - that wasn't the point I was trying to make at all. :) I think my main point was that I personally think The Hip truly are better than the other three in terms of music. I think The Hip sound better, and I truly love them most for their music! Not for their status in Canada.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    A declaration as in "I declare this National Rush Day" for example.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Oh... I dunno... I doubt it. But you never know. Maybe? I won't be celebrating. The reason I dislike Greta Van Fleet is because they sound too much like Rush. :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh... I dunno... I doubt it. But you never know. Maybe? I won't be celebrating. The reason I dislike Greta Van Fleet is because they sound too much like Rush. :lol:
    Hmm, I think they sound lIke Zeppelin.  I don't get Rush from them at all (granted Rush's first album, without Peart, sounds like Zep but the 20+ since certainly don't).
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Hmm, I think they sound lIke Zeppelin.  I don't get Rush from them at all (granted Rush's first album, without Peart, sounds like Zep but the 20+ since certainly don't).
    I think the vocals sound way more like Getty than they do Plant. I do hear kind of a shitty, second rate resemblance to Led Zep too though... and that is another reason I don't like them, as a massive lifelong Led Zep fan.
  • Options
    Ok, yeah, I can hear an early Geddy-esque vocal style.
  • Options
    Oh, right. Geddy, not Getty. :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh, right. Geddy, not Getty. :lol:
    Story is the name came from the way his grandmother's heavy Jewish accent pronounced his birth name, Gary.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    STP-Core and Purple
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    RobbyD462 said:
    STP-Core and Purple
    Two solid albums right there! 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,272

What about Wintersleep or Hey Rosetta!?
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Couldn't go past PJ - but damn the RATM double is good too

Others worth mentioning - 
    Radiohead - Bends/Ok or Ok/KidA
    The Boss - Born to Run/Darkness
    Metallica - Ride/Master

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    Oh, yes, agreed! The Bends/OK Computer. Definitely near or at the top for me.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:
    That's a technical foul.
    You're crazy. You're crazy, man. I like you... but you're crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeJXcf2Oc2U