Options

Two small changes to Yield...

2»

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    ehbacon said:
    I just cant take push me pull me and I dont understand why people like it haha
    For me, I think the lyrics are incredible poetry. I enjoy the spoken-word style of singing, and love the bass line! 
  • Options
    ScreamHello_33ScreamHello_33 Orlando, FL Posts: 57
    1)  Low Light
    2)  In Hiding
    3)  Do The Evolution
    4)  Leatherman
    5)  Given To Fly
    6)  Wishlist
    ---------------------------
    7)  Brain Of J.
    8)  Red Dot
    9)  MFC
    10)  Faithfull
    11)  U
    12)  All Those Yesterdays

Bye bye Pilate and Push Me, Pull Me.  Give me a slow burn start.  You won't want to admit it, but secretly you love the transition from "gimme some skin....he's Leatherrr....mannnnnnn" right into the opening chords of GTF.  Brain Of J starts side two, kinda like flippin' the nines on a golf course.  In Hiding gets a more prominent spot.....Faithfull gets buried a little more.  I'm in!

That said, let the flogging commence...
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    Pilate has one of my favorite versus mixed with one of my least favorite chorus. With that, I’d still have to leave it in.
    Thr only one if trade for U or Leatherman would be PMPM.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    1)  Low Light
    2)  In Hiding
    3)  Do The Evolution
    4)  Leatherman
    5)  Given To Fly
    6)  Wishlist
    ---------------------------
    7)  Brain Of J.
    8)  Red Dot
    9)  MFC
    10)  Faithfull
    11)  U
    12)  All Those Yesterdays

Bye bye Pilate and Push Me, Pull Me.  Give me a slow burn start.  You won't want to admit it, but secretly you love the transition from "gimme some skin....he's Leatherrr....mannnnnnn" right into the opening chords of GTF.  Brain Of J starts side two, kinda like flippin' the nines on a golf course.  In Hiding gets a more prominent spot.....Faithfull gets buried a little more.  I'm in!

That said, let the flogging commence...
    Slow burn intro definitely works if you're making a live version of the album. Otherwise, I'd still start with Brain of J.
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    rummy said:
    And yes, overall the last two or three albums aren't that interesting compared to PMPM.
    Big difference between saying "the last two albums" and saying "the last three albums".......
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    KN219077 said:
    No way I’m getting rid of No Way. 

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,455
    OP - Thanks for bringing up my favorite recording of all time. Can't get behind your suggestions though. No Way is a great song. PMPM fits the theme of the recording nicely even though it may not be considered a great song. It is a good bridge from one song to another. 
  • Options
    Milestone said:
    rummy said:
    And yes, overall the last two or three albums aren't that interesting compared to PMPM.
    Big difference between saying "the last two albums" and saying "the last three albums".......
    Aha. Yes. I get "moody" about Self Titled. Some days I think it's great while others...not so much. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    rummy said:
    Milestone said:
    rummy said:
    Aha. Yes. I get "moody" about Self Titled. Some days I think it's great while others...not so much. 
    Wow I thought I was the only one who thought this! 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    Milestone said:
    rummy said:
    Wow I thought I was the only one who thought this! 

I always enjoy Severed Hand and the two lead singles (WWS and LW). After that, it depends on the day. Is Inside Job pure genius or overdone contemporary rock? Is Parachutes a sweet lullaby or a drippy ballad? Is Comatose an all out rocker or a very inferior STBC? 

Anyway, what I do know is that I don't like Unemployable and Big Wave no matter the day.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    Not a popular opinion: inside job bores the hell out of me. The intro is waaaaaaaay too long. Parachutes is like watching paint dry. Unemployable is unlistenable. Big wave I like but I could care less if it is ever played again. Comatose is kind of a middle of the road song. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    im an ear said:
    It's my all-time favorite album but in my opinion it would've been even better if it included U and Leatherman and took out No Way and The Red Dot.  This is what my tracklisting would've been.  Little more poppy and little less strange.  Mostly, I just think U and Leatherman are amazing songs.  Try it out!

1. Brain of J.
    2. Faithfull
    3. Given to Fly
    4. U
    5. Wishlist
    6. Pilate
    7. Do the Evolution
    8. Leatherman
    9. MFC
    10. Low Light
    11. In Hiding (favorite song ever)
    12. Push Me, Pull Me
    13. All Those Yesterday
    Image result for no gif homer
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,312
    danny said:
    no way
    Way.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,429
    B-Girl said:
    Leave Red Dot and No Way in and add Leatherman.  Strange is good...no need to remove those songs!
    This 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    edited October 2018
    What’s always hurt Yield for me is Faithful coming out of Brain Of J - it’s always felt like a total momentum killer to me. Not a popular opinion but it’s how I’ve felt since the album came out. I think DTE would have been a considerably better second track after BOJ, or even just going straight into No Way. Ah well. Other than that it’s a great record, Pilates awesome, and Push Me Pull Me is one of my favourite tracks on there. 
    Post edited by EnterThanman on
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,044
    No Way is an essential part of Yield being such a great record!  U and Leatherman would in no way make this album better!  
  • Options
    NiktoNikto Melbourne, Australia Posts: 132
    Which version of U are we talking about? The original b-side with Jack on drums? Then yes that would fit on Yield, but the re-worked version with Matt on drums from Lost Digs no longer feels like a a Yield era song.  I have dropped Red Dot from my version of Yield since day one.
    Melbourne: March 17 1995, March 18 1995, March 2 1998, February 18 2003, November 13 2006, November 20 2009, January 24 2014
    Ed Solo
    Melbourne: March 24 2011, February 16 2014
  • Options
    What’s always hurt Yield for me is Faithful coming out of Brain Of J - it’s always felt like a total momentum killer to me. Not a popular opinion but it’s how I’ve felt since the album came out. I think DTE would have been a considerably better second track after BOJ, or even just going straight into No Way. Ah well. Other than that it’s a great record, Pilates awesome, and Push Me Pull Me is one of my favourite tracks on there. 
    Funny because the transition from BoJ => Faithful is one of the reasons that over time Faithful has become one of my favorite (if not favorite) PJ song. I absolutely love the song and love where it lands on the album, almost like they just needed to catch a quick breath on the intro after a blistering opening track.

Yield is perfect, I wouldn't touch a damn thing. The "quirks" are what make it and I love the flow. Easily been my favorite PJ album since I first heard it in '98.
    Hartford '08, Hartford '10, Hartford '11 (EV), Worcester I '13, Fenway I '16, Fenway II '18
  • Options
    No Way is an essential part of Yield being such a great record!  U and Leatherman would in no way make this album better!  
    Totally agree. I'll take it one step further and say, while I don't dislike either song, either one would actually ruin Yield.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I found U and LM kind of disrupted the flow - still like em' as b-sides, but that album is perfect as it is. Thanks OP for the suggestion! I haven't ever re-sequenced any PJ album besides Binaural some years ago! Had fun!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    im an earim an ear San Diego, CA Posts: 245
    Nikto said:
    Which version of U are we talking about? The original b-side with Jack on drums? Then yes that would fit on Yield, but the re-worked version with Matt on drums from Lost Digs no longer feels like a a Yield era song.  I have dropped Red Dot from my version of Yield since day one.
    Yeah, I meant the original b-side with Jack on drums (Ed's vocals sound way better and Jack is awesome on it).  Still surprised everyone has such strong feelings for No Way!  Seems like the band isn't really a fan of it anymore since they hardly ever play it.  Again, it's still my favorite album ever, I've just been playing around with different sequencing for fun.  Didn't mean to offend anyone haha!
    San Diego, CA - 10/25/00, San Diego, CA - 7/7/06, Los Angeles, CA - 7/9/06, San Diego, CA - 4/15/08 (EV), San Diego, CA - 10/9/09, San Diego, CA - 7/5/11 (EV), San Diego, CA - 11/21/13
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,747
    I don’t hate “U” but there is a reason it’s not on any album
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    I don't think the band rarely playing a song means anything about how they feel about the song personally most of the time. There are a lot of songs they rarely play that they love (as individuals), according to various interviews. I think they (and that assumes Eddie at least asks the rest of them about it) choose songs based on how they think the crowd will feel, and on their mood that day, and on what they've played at other recent shows.
  • Options

It is true that there are 2 ways to improve Yield, but they are as follows:

1) Remove from sleeve

2) Drop the needle

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    edited October 2018
    I don’t know if there’d be a more poppy sequence on a PJ album than Given to Fly, U, and then Wishlist all following one another. 
    Post edited by ledvedderman on
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271

1) Remove from sleeve

2) Drop the needle

:clap: You can close this thread now, there's nothing more to say
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,747
    goldrush said:

1) Remove from sleeve

2) Drop the needle

:clap: You can close this thread now, there's nothing more to say
    Yep
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    im an earim an ear San Diego, CA Posts: 245
    Close this thread! No alternate playlists allowed!
    San Diego, CA - 10/25/00, San Diego, CA - 7/7/06, Los Angeles, CA - 7/9/06, San Diego, CA - 4/15/08 (EV), San Diego, CA - 10/9/09, San Diego, CA - 7/5/11 (EV), San Diego, CA - 11/21/13