Options

Poster shipping help

traded posters with a guy and shipped usps, he sent me pics of the tube and it was pretty damaged.  Never had this happen before.  What steps do I need to take? Contact usps?

any help would be appreciated 

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    Yes, contact them.  Good luck.  Hope it was worth less than $50 -- if you use base priority service and do not specifically get it and pay for it then $50 is max.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Did you buy the insurance? Any idea what sort of condition the poster itself is in?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    For what its worth I have a (very) small business on Etsy. I ship about 3-4 times a week. I've found FedEx to be cheaper and they have insurance included in the price. I'm not sure what the max is, but its at least $100, because their policy is basically they don't ask questions if the claim is under $100, just issue a refund.
    Other than than, what was already said. Find out what damages were done to the poster itself, then file a claim. Yuu should be able to do claims online. I imagine its similar, small costs probably get through easier, but if you're claiming a $300 loss, even if you purchased extra insurance, expect them to be more thorough and provide pictures, etc.  
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    what's the contact for 10c if a poster purchased from them arrives damaged?
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    PSUS2H said:
    I think you're SOL.
    Are of their posters are "as is" and from what I've heard from other situations, they haven't helped.
    If it was clearly damaged in shipping (evident by damage to package) then you may be able to file a claim with the carrier. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    mace1229 said:
    PSUS2H said:
    I think you're SOL.
    Are of their posters are "as is" and from what I've heard from other situations, they haven't helped.
    If it was clearly damaged in shipping (evident by damage to package) then you may be able to file a claim with the carrier. 
    Ceramic Mugs were replaced when they arrived thrashed.  Reach out.  I forget the email but if you dig here you will find it.
  • Options
    Does shipping policies bother anyone else? Mail is the only service I can think of where you have to pay extra to make sure they do it.
    Have you ever been to a restaurant, ordered a steak, and an hour later when it doesn't come you ask the waitress and she just says "sorry, did you get insurance with your order? Then I can't help you."
    Why in mailing do we have to pay extra to make sure it gets delivered and we get what we paid for? Makes no sense.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Does shipping policies bother anyone else? Mail is the only service I can think of where you have to pay extra to make sure they do it.
    Have you ever been to a restaurant, ordered a steak, and an hour later when it doesn't come you ask the waitress and she just says "sorry, did you get insurance with your order? Then I can't help you."
    Why in mailing do we have to pay extra to make sure it gets delivered and we get what we paid for? Makes no sense.
    USPS is a piece of shit organization, the absolute worst.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PSUS2H said:
    I think you're SOL.
    Ceramic Mugs were replaced when they arrived thrashed.  Reach out.  I forget the email but if you dig here you will find it.

yeah I used shipping tenclub.... blah blah.  The tube was damaged in transit. :-( first time that's happened with any poster I've purchased.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    mace1229 said:
    PSUS2H said:
    I think you're SOL.
    I've had other issues with non-poster merch and they've been awesome to me as well.
    But the fact that every poster says "as-is" and I've heard others with the same complaints lead me to believe its a different game with posters.
  • Options
    I get it if the poster has a corner ding or something out of a fresh tube, things happen.  But the damage was from something smashing in the center of the tube creating a crease down the whole front of the poster :-( I reached out, hopefully I hear either way. 
  • Options
    madhat181madhat181 Posts: 367
    unknown said:
    traded posters with a guy and shipped usps, he sent me pics of the tube and it was pretty damaged.  Never had this happen before.  What steps do I need to take? Contact usps?

You don't take any steps. Usually the person who receives the damage package would make the claim to USPS. If you shipped it properly you should not be the one making the claim. 
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    edited October 2018
    madhat181 said:
    unknown said:

You don't take any steps. Usually the person who receives the damage package would make the claim to USPS. If you shipped it properly you should not be the one making the claim. 
    If it's destroyed you absolutely refund the buyer the full amount. Then it is on the seller to make the claim. 
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    madhat181 said:
    unknown said:

I do not look at this the same way -- the seller paid for the shipment and would need to contact USPS about it.
    It, in my opinion, is not the problem for the buyer until they take possession.  If something happens during shipping I think the seller is responsible.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    mace1229 said:
    If there was no such thing as insurance and the shipper was on the hook for everything, you'd probably see an entirely different rate structure. Imagine if you were fully responsible for the safe delivery of a $7,000 piece of jewelry. Would you do that for $12? That's why standard rates cover you up to $50. It's gonna cost more money if you want to shift responsibility entirely.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    madhat181 said:
    unknown said:

I do not look at this the same way -- the seller paid for the shipment and would need to contact USPS about it.
    It, in my opinion, is not the problem for the buyer until they take possession.  If something happens during shipping I think the seller is responsible.

Yes possession is the key word. Since the recipient has claim possession and sent pictures it would be best if they filed the claim
    because it might need to be inspected.

Per USPS instruction the item cannot be re-mailed. Re-mailing an item will invalidate the claim. It, also, must be available for inspection by the USPS should they desire to do so. The recipient should keep the mailing box and all packing as well as the item. If the USPS determines to honor the claim they may require the item be surrendered but they usually do not.

@unknown By the way I used the internet and Google to find answers to questions like this not the 10c message board.
    https://about.usps.com/publications/pub370/pub370_v10_revision_012016_tech_013.htm

And yes I know I'm enabling him, but I like to help

Post edited by madhat181 on
  • Options
    madhat181 said:
    madhat181 said:
    unknown said:

Yes possession is the key word. Since the recipient has claim possession and sent pictures it would be best if they filed the claim
    because it might need to be inspected.

Per USPS instruction the item cannot be re-mailed. Re-mailing an item will invalidate the claim. It, also, must be available for inspection by the USPS should they desire to do so. The recipient should keep the mailing box and all packing as well as the item. If the USPS determines to honor the claim they may require the item be surrendered but they usually do not.
    By your method you are asking the recipient to wait on the results of the claim. And that is just fundamentally wrong unless the seller is refunding immediately still. Then on top of that you would have to hope that same person would refund the claim amount if awarded.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options

By your method you are asking the recipient to wait on the results of the claim. And that is just fundamentally wrong unless the seller is refunding immediately still. Then on top of that you would have to hope that same person would refund the claim amount if awarded.
    He didn't sell anything. He traded.
  • Options
    madhat181 said:

He didn't sell anything. He traded.
    Full amount should be honored either way
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options

What's equates to the full amount on a trade?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    madhat181 said:

What's equates to the full amount on a trade?
    I say either the market value, OR having both items returned to original senders.
    Post edited by PSUS2H on
  • Options
    unknownunknown Posts: 531
    He sent pics and the tube looks a little damaged but I think the poster probably fine inside.  He says it would cost him to open it bc it’s st the wharehouse? I don’t know what to do
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Which poster was it
  • Options

• Options
    Doesn’t look that damaged to me? You think he trying to scam me? 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Depends, did you roll it tighter than the width of the tube? If not then it will definitely have some damage. If so, then it could be okay.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Yeah rolled it tight , my wife didn’t insure it , so is any part of it covered?
  • Options
    I would guess that poster is damaged....but, it is just a guess.

• Options
    Shouldn’t he at least open it up and see???? That’s kind of my issie
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    No way to know if the poster is damaged unless he opens it.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
This discussion has been closed.