Ohana Info Please!

Will be in the area with wife, 6 year old and 3 year old. I know it’s a family friendly festival but i’m Hesitant to try it with a 6 year old and 3 year old.

For those that have been before....

Is this the type of festival where you lay down your blanket and that’s your spot for the day? 
Or is GA more of a “you leave your spot...don’t expect to get it back” type of situation. 
Are there often families with young kids there? 

A day at Doheny beach and and evening watching Eddie with my family could either be the best day of my life...or a stressful experience that flops.

Would really appreciate any info, there will be other opportunities to see Eddie but To see him with my wife and kids might be a once in a lifetime chance. 

Comments

• Damn I really want to take my kids after reading this. It’s literally a 5 hour drive away. 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Such a crapshoot when you try and do something like this with kids. Could be amazing or could miss half the show cause kids are tired and crying.

Best of luck if you give it a try! Let me know!

Hope some folks share some valuable insight :)
  • It is a pretty laid back festival and there are areas where you can throw down a blanket.  Like GA, meet your neighbors and you can step away and return to your spot.  The later it gets, the more crowded it becomes so that roomy spot you had all day will get smaller.

Only you will know how your kids will handle a long day and it is a crapshoot.  Just be prepared that by the time Ed comes on they will be ready to go home.
  • nuzzer1nuzzer1 Posts: 1,437
    I’m bringing my 4 year old and 2 year old based on last year- it’s super chilled out and collapsing strollers are allowed. They will have headphones on but my son is psyched and my daughter is relaxed enough I think we can pull it off :) wouldn’t subject them to a show this early otherwise. 

Plus last year I think Ed’s set was just about an hour and a half if that- so not too late a night either for them. 

We likely will miss Johnny Marr and Liz Phair due to conflicts but trying to catch YYY from afar depending on sound and then Ed. 

Ill report back if this was a horrendous mistake :)

• On the side small stages for sure you'd be able to put down a blanket and relax.  The main stage though on Ed's night I'd say maybe.  It was a mad house last year.  You'd probably be OK about about hour and half before Ed comes on and then it'd get a bit sketchy.  
  • Thanks for the insight folks. Hoping to pull this off
  • The 1st year you could lay down the blanket and relax the entire time. 
    It was really laid back and not crowded at all.

Last year started out that way.....
    As the day progressed the crowd got bigger and bigger.
    It got pretty territorial. Right before EV, security came through and had everyone had to pull up the blankets etc. 
    The grounds are small and there are no established lanes to get in and out. Towards the end of the day/night it is difficult to get back and forth. 

I would recommend getting a spot further back and just relaxing. The venue opens up on "Mikes side". I would suggest getting a spot there.

Parking can be very hard. I recommend getting a spot on the street. Look a little north of the Denny's. There is street parking and a small lot.
    Obviously you need to get there early. Some stuff to do at the venue to keep the kids entertained but not much.

FYI....Get merch outside first and take it back to the car.
  • Thanks for the info @jfconnorjr

We made it, went later in the day, entertained the kids while listening to Liz Phair and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Sat on the bleachers and watched Ed with 2 sleeping kids on our laps. Had to leave slightly early (missed RITFW  :s) but didn’t want to risk a long Uber wait with 2 kids. Super glad to have done this with my kids, didn’t regret a second of it, doubt I’ll get another chance to do it as a family but honestly I think it’s a perfect festival to do as a couple anyway.

Bonus - they restocked a few zippos right before I got to merch at 4pm