Options

Restaurant experience’s

I’m sure we can all come up with at least one time where you experienced either a funny event or a shitty event at a restaurant you were eating in or ordered out from , last night I experienced a bad one of these .
I called one of our favorite Sushi restaurant to place an order for me to pick up I placed the order around 6:00 pm from where I work it takes me over 45 minutes to drive home I told them I’d be there at 7:30 to pick up food lo and behold I walk in at 7:30 and they hadn’t even started my order so now I’m not happy in comes a lady to pick her order that was placed around the same time as mine hers wasn’t ready either she was pissed she had just driven from the city so easily an hour drive we talked we both had the same thing happened to us I had to wait another 30 minutes for my order to be ready she had to wait longer , I found this to be unacceptable and when we started eating our food we found it to have been put together in a haste in other words didn’t enjoy it as much ...
jesus greets me looks just like me ....

Comments

• Options
    @josevolution I know the feeling and it sucks!

I'm going to share a good one.

Went to Atlantic city for a bachelor Party recently.  Whenever we go out my friends let me choose the wine.

That night out I look over the wine list and I see under Red Zinfandel one of my favs, Seghesio.  It's on. 

I order the fillet w the Bearnaise sauce.  Awesome fillet. Awesome wine.

A few of my buddies have now added Seghesio to their wine lists.

This was at the Old Homestead steak house.

Enjoy
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,543
    I’m sure we can all come up with at least one time where you experienced either a funny event or a shitty event at a restaurant you were eating in or ordered out from , last night I experienced a bad one of these .
    I called one of our favorite Sushi restaurant to place an order for me to pick up I placed the order around 6:00 pm from where I work it takes me over 45 minutes to drive home I told them I’d be there at 7:30 to pick up food lo and behold I walk in at 7:30 and they hadn’t even started my order so now I’m not happy in comes a lady to pick her order that was placed around the same time as mine hers wasn’t ready either she was pissed she had just driven from the city so easily an hour drive we talked we both had the same thing happened to us I had to wait another 30 minutes for my order to be ready she had to wait longer , I found this to be unacceptable and when we started eating our food we found it to have been put together in a haste in other words didn’t enjoy it as much ...
    I would have told them to f@#$ off and gone elsewhere.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    So many....good and bad.
    Our 4 year old destroyed our table (spills, messy, etc) at a restaurant locally a few weeks back and we left one of the largest tips (%-wise) we have ever given because of how absolutely awesome our server was.  She was too young to have a 4 year old of her own but she took everything in stride like we were the easiest table ever, when we were certainly not. 
    I always love a good server but this gal went above/beyond. 

As a self-confessed sushi snob I cannot order 'to go'.  ;)  I have a tough time not sitting at the bar and ordering one at a time but occasionally I have to sit @ a table.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    Not too long ago we were meeting some friends in New Mexico, about a 7 hour drive. Met at a restaurant, already hungry from the drive.
    It was dead in there, maybe 3 or 4 other groups. We were the only group for our waiter that we could tell. 
    After we placed our order, we never saw our waiter again. We asked other waiters, asked the manager, and kept just getting answers like "the food is on the way, he'll be right here." Before long, employees were avoiding our table like the plaque. We couldn't get anyone to acknowledge us, it was the weirdest thing. We couldn't even get refills on our water and soda. Sat there hungry and thirsty. Eventually we made a big enough scene and got the manager, she apologized, told us our waiter was new and got overwhelmed and had a breakdown and our food will be right. Like I said, there were only about 3 or 4 other groups in the entire restaurant, and we were the only ones he was serving. How was that possible? We saw several tables get seated, ordered, served, eat and leave while we waited for our food.

Still waited and waited. Nothing. Had to flag the manager down again. Ask for water. Ask for food. The manager brought us our food about 5 minutes later. It was cold, and a couple of us didn't get the order right. I think it was about an hour and 20 minutes from when we ordered until we got our food. Shortly after the manager brings us the bill. Not a cent was taken off. I was outraged and said I am not paying this, we waited well over an hour, it was cold and disgusting.  It had clearly been ready to serve for a long time and no one was willing to bring it to us while out waiter was having his "meltdown." Not even the manager who was aware of the problem, or the other waiters who we kept asking cared enough to do as little as refill waters. She said "let me see what I can do." This time the manager is gone like 15 minutes, again everyone is avoiding us. I was trying to get up and leave, but we were visiting an older couple who did not feel comfortable doing that. I thought the fact the manager never came back was a sign they didn't expect us to pay.  She eventually does come back after 15 minutes, and only gave us half off. I was still pissed.
    I tried to just get up and leave, but the older couple refused. We ended up paying the half. 
    I left zero tip, the older couple left a pretty good one.
    The only reason we stayed was we just drove 7 hours to visit this couple who were long friends of my wife's family. We were tired, had 2 small kids, and didn't feel like driving around to find somewhere else, we kept expecting our food any minute. Any number of employees could have served us, instead they let it site there for probably at least 45 minutes and get room temperature before the manager decided to step in (after we've been complaining and already speaking to the manager about it).
    The weirdest part was when we were dealing with the bill, the waiter finally comes out, the biggest smile on his face, super good mood, asks if everything is okay and how dinner was. He definitely went to the bathroom and took something.
    Weirdest restaurant experience I've ever had.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    My girlfriend and I went out Monday night to get some dinner and watch at least part of the Bears game there.  I show up wearing a Bears hat and tee shirt so it was obvious what we were there for.  We bellied up to that bar and was enjoying our selves watching the pre-game show when just before kickoff these two guys come in and ask her to turn on the Reds game.  She changes the main TV over the bar which we've been watching to the baseball game and also turns the house speaker to music which had been playing MNF.  I asked her to change it back since we were there first and clearly watching it.  She acted all annoyed and huffy and after 5 minutes of not changing it back we asked for our check and left.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Not too long ago we were meeting some friends in New Mexico, about a 7 hour drive. Met at a restaurant, already hungry from the drive.
    It was dead in there, maybe 3 or 4 other groups. We were the only group for our waiter that we could tell. 
    After we placed our order, we never saw our waiter again. We asked other waiters, asked the manager, and kept just getting answers like "the food is on the way, he'll be right here." Before long, employees were avoiding our table like the plaque. We couldn't get anyone to acknowledge us, it was the weirdest thing. We couldn't even get refills on our water and soda. Sat there hungry and thirsty. Eventually we made a big enough scene and got the manager, she apologized, told us our waiter was new and got overwhelmed and had a breakdown and our food will be right. Like I said, there were only about 3 or 4 other groups in the entire restaurant, and we were the only ones he was serving. How was that possible? We saw several tables get seated, ordered, served, eat and leave while we waited for our food.

Still waited and waited. Nothing. Had to flag the manager down again. Ask for water. Ask for food. The manager brought us our food about 5 minutes later. It was cold, and a couple of us didn't get the order right. I think it was about an hour and 20 minutes from when we ordered until we got our food. Shortly after the manager brings us the bill. Not a cent was taken off. I was outraged and said I am not paying this, we waited well over an hour, it was cold and disgusting.  It had clearly been ready to serve for a long time and no one was willing to bring it to us while out waiter was having his "meltdown." Not even the manager who was aware of the problem, or the other waiters who we kept asking cared enough to do as little as refill waters. She said "let me see what I can do." This time the manager is gone like 15 minutes, again everyone is avoiding us. I was trying to get up and leave, but we were visiting an older couple who did not feel comfortable doing that. I thought the fact the manager never came back was a sign they didn't expect us to pay.  She eventually does come back after 15 minutes, and only gave us half off. I was still pissed.
    I tried to just get up and leave, but the older couple refused. We ended up paying the half. 
    I left zero tip, the older couple left a pretty good one.
    The only reason we stayed was we just drove 7 hours to visit this couple who were long friends of my wife's family. We were tired, had 2 small kids, and didn't feel like driving around to find somewhere else, we kept expecting our food any minute. Any number of employees could have served us, instead they let it site there for probably at least 45 minutes and get room temperature before the manager decided to step in (after we've been complaining and already speaking to the manager about it).
    The weirdest part was when we were dealing with the bill, the waiter finally comes out, the biggest smile on his face, super good mood, asks if everything is okay and how dinner was. He definitely went to the bathroom and took something.
    Weirdest restaurant experience I've ever had.
    That is absurd i feel for you specially with kids and the drive i'm not sure i would of hung around but like you did ..
  • Options
    KC138045 said:
    My girlfriend and I went out Monday night to get some dinner and watch at least part of the Bears game there.  I show up wearing a Bears hat and tee shirt so it was obvious what we were there for.  We bellied up to that bar and was enjoying our selves watching the pre-game show when just before kickoff these two guys come in and ask her to turn on the Reds game.  She changes the main TV over the bar which we've been watching to the baseball game and also turns the house speaker to music which had been playing MNF.  I asked her to change it back since we were there first and clearly watching it.  She acted all annoyed and huffy and after 5 minutes of not changing it back we asked for our check and left.
    The bartender should of asked you guys 1st if it was ok or are you watching the game before just changing it ..
  • Options
    So many....good and bad.
    Our 4 year old destroyed our table (spills, messy, etc) at a restaurant locally a few weeks back and we left one of the largest tips (%-wise) we have ever given because of how absolutely awesome our server was.  She was too young to have a 4 year old of her own but she took everything in stride like we were the easiest table ever, when we were certainly not. 

As a self-confessed sushi snob I cannot order 'to go'.  ;)  I have a tough time not sitting at the bar and ordering one at a time but occasionally I have to sit @ a table.

The funny thing is me & wife were there last weekend sat there and had a great dinner , drinks had a really good time and we always order to be delivered to our house they know us and last night when i placed the order i spoke to the same guy who allways takes the order or sits us at the restaurant , i felt horrible after this experience they knew i was dissapointed it showed on my face and to top it off the sushi was not what i'm used to from this place ....
  • Options

when i was waiting i texted my wife and she said just leave but i couldn't do it plus i was hungry i figured it should be ready any second just to wait another 30 minutes killed my good mood ...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    So many....good and bad.

The funny thing is me & wife were there last weekend sat there and had a great dinner , drinks had a really good time and we always order to be delivered to our house they know us and last night when i placed the order i spoke to the same guy who allways takes the order or sits us at the restaurant , i felt horrible after this experience they knew i was dissapointed it showed on my face and to top it off the sushi was not what i'm used to from this place ....
    Hope they didn't sell the place or something -- new management can really kill a place.
  • Options
    So many....good and bad.

Hope they didn't sell the place or something -- new management can really kill a place.
    Yeah that's what i was thinking it had to do with new sushi chefs ? maybe i'm not sure and where i live we have one of thee best sushi house on Long Island Kotobuki it's outstanding but to order out you have to place the order way in advance of if you wanna get a table or sit at the bar you have to be there when they open up for the evening ...
  • Options
    So many....good and bad.

I've stopped going to places because of this.  New management and the food completely changes.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,743
    KC138045 said:

That sucks.  It drives me nuts when you're at a sports bar type place and they don't have the right games on.  Especially when it's for a local team.  I shouldn't have to ask someone to turn on the Bulls or Blackhawks game when I'm out at a bar.  And then half the the time when you ask someone to put a game on it they don't have a clue how to do it and it takes forever for someone to figure it out.
  • Options

I don’t know if this falls into the same realm . ..

Years ago, I was out with a group of co-workers, the table kept getting longer and longer.  It was not so much a restaurant setting but more of a drinking/appetizer event.  As more co-workers arrived, we moved tables to our group. 

There was one waitress assigned to our group, regardless of how large the group became.  If she were overwhelmed, I could understand.  But that wasn’t even it.  She was not attentive to the group at all.  I remember thinking, what is wrong with this young woman, there are 25 people here, do you have any idea what the least bit of effort, attention, means to your tip?

I also thought, well maybe she’s new, or maybe she’s seen this before and been burned. 

It’s all about work ethic. In my mind, :)  I was the most conscientious food preparer Taco Bell ever had, the most responsible stock person Kmart ever had.  It’s about taking pride in your job, whatever that job may be.

Pride in a job well done is self-respect 101.  It's been a long time since my Taco Bell/KMart days but I still carry that ethic with me today.  And it's served me well.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Years ago, I was out with a group of co-workers, the table kept getting longer and longer.  It was not so much a restaurant setting but more of a drinking/appetizer event.  As more co-workers arrived, we moved tables to our group. 

There was one waitress assigned to our group, regardless of how large the group became.  If she were overwhelmed, I could understand.  But that wasn’t even it.  She was not attentive to the group at all.  I remember thinking, what is wrong with this young woman, there are 25 people here, do you have any idea what the least bit of effort, attention, means to your tip?

I also thought, well maybe she’s new, or maybe she’s seen this before and been burned. 

It’s all about work ethic. In my mind, :)  I was the most conscientious food preparer Taco Bell ever had, the most responsible stock person Kmart ever had.  It’s about taking pride in your job, whatever that job may be.

Pride in a job well done is self-respect 101.  It's been a long time since my Taco Bell/KMart days but I still carry that ethic with me today.  And it's served me well.

We used to “paint” art projects on the floor with the sour cream and guacamole guns, adding beans, meats, sauces and veggies for good measure, then deck scrub it all away come closing time. 

When it was slow, we’d go get baked in the walk-in and play football in the parking lot. 

The tough part was remembering someone’s drive-thru order until getting back inside to the register. 

Good times at Taco Bell. Sammy Davis Jr. came through the drive-thru and got pissed when I sang “Mr. Bojangles” at him. Also, I learned that “a whole shitload” is seven. Someone ordered a whole shitload of tacos, and when I asked them to clarify exactly how much a whole shitload would be, they told me seven. 

Bring back the green sauce!!!

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    my buddy’s salad had a live fucking moth stuck in the ranch dressing....we call the server over....they comp the salad.

not the whole meal, the salad. fuck you lone star steakhouse.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001

when i was waiting i texted my wife and she said just leave but i couldn't do it plus i was hungry i figured it should be ready any second just to wait another 30 minutes killed my good mood ...
    Thats the problem with bad service like that. You keep thinking "it has to come any second, why would I get up and start this process over somewhere else when I am starving."
    Just last weekend we waited over an hour for pizza, but at least they were nice about it and only charged us for the drinks without us even complaining.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    my buddy’s salad had a live fucking moth stuck in the ranch dressing....we call the server over....they comp the salad.

:lol: You are the first person I know to ever have eaten there
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Years ago, I had eaten very tasty meal in a high end restaurant. We decided to have coffee and dessert, to finish things off right. Ordered a piece of cheesecake, which came with a really nice presentation on the plate, including a sprig of mint with a few leaves. I eat a couple of bites and then we're distracted by something out the window. When I look down at my plate again after a couple of minutes, what do I see trucking toward the raspberry sauce but a slug? Must have been hiding in the mint leaves, because I assume that the cheesecake did not have a convenient little bunker.

I called the waiter over and pointed at my plate. When he saw the slug he turned ashen, said something along the lines of "oh my god!", and whisked the plate away. He came back a few minutes later, somewhat more composed, and apologized. He also said "there's no charge for the dessert, of course". I laughed at him and said "you've got to do better than that". He went away again, came back, and said "we'll give you the wine for free". 

It was kind of an expensive bottle of wine, so I went with that. I still believe they should have comped the meal.

And thank goodness that I didn't find half a slug.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I am going to bring a slug with me to dinner tonight. 
    #Feedtheslugs
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    https://youtu.be/-W1jj7D1t0Y

Arkansas steamer bean....
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited September 2018
    I was once at a restaurant and had a literally crazy lady go bananas on me for no apparent reason and she threw a big glass of water in my face. :lol: It was a high end restaurant too. The manager gave me a $50 gift certificate as an apology.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankind said:

We used to “paint” art projects on the floor with the sour cream and guacamole guns, adding beans, meats, sauces and veggies for good measure, then deck scrub it all away come closing time. 

When it was slow, we’d go get baked in the walk-in and play football in the parking lot. 

The tough part was remembering someone’s drive-thru order until getting back inside to the register. 

Good times at Taco Bell. Sammy Davis Jr. came through the drive-thru and got pissed when I sang “Mr. Bojangles” at him. Also, I learned that “a whole shitload” is seven. Someone ordered a whole shitload of tacos, and when I asked them to clarify exactly how much a whole shitload would be, they told me seven. 

It's funny you mention being baked, this was my first job and we got stoned every day before work.  But I was a damn good worker nonetheless.  :)
  • Options
    dankind said:

It's funny you mention being baked, this was my first job and we got stoned every day before work.  But I was a damn good worker nonetheless.  :)
    Oh, yeah. If I was on the line while baked, you better believe that the portioning was painstakingly perfect. Of course, we still came up a little short due to our art projects.

If I was on dish duty, those were the cleanest goddamn dishes anyone has ever seen.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    This is a bad steak house story.

Myself and a co-worker were traveling from PA to AZ.  I had mentioned to him that The Big Texan steakhouse restaurant is on the way in Amarillo and that we should stop there to eat.  All I talked about for two days was eating a nice big piece of Prime Rib with some fresh horse radish!

We arrive around dinner time, the place is busy but not packed, we checked out the 72oz steak on display, that is a lotta meat!

So we get seated and I don't even look at a menu because I know what I am ordering!

Waitress asks "what'll ya have?"
    Me "The biggest prime rib you've got!"
    "Oh sorry sir but we ran out of prime rib."
    The look of happiness has now vanished and replaced with my mouth agape...
    My buddy pipes in "all he did was talk about that prime rib for two damn days.  He's beside himself, look at him!"

The waitress says she will bring me a wonderful fillet that will be even better than the prime rib.

OK!

I ask for medium.  It comes back raw.  Literally raw.  I cut into it and it was red and bloody.  Maybe on the grill for 5 seconds.

The waitress sends it back and the manager comes with a fresh off the grill steak 20 minutes later.  

"here you go sir, sorry about that!"

I cut into this steak and same thing, raw...I ask the manager "that looks raw to me, what do you think?"

"That's raw sir I am sorry!  I'll be right back"

Another 10 minutes goes by and then he is back with a nice medium done steak.  It was just ok...

Bill comes and there is nothing, as in ZERO, deducted from the bill. 

No free soda. 
    No free desert.
    Nadda...

Do not eat at the Big Texan in Amarillo.
  • Options
    72 oz steak?  Holy crap!
    My wife put down a 48 oz. porterhouse one time.
    And a full side of broccoli.
    At the time I am guessing she weighed about 100 pounds...the wait staff was amazed. 
    I could not imagine seeing someone eat a 72 oz one.

• Options

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    Wobbie said:

flip side of that was when the wife and I were at chevy's and kind of camouflaged between two huge parties on either side of us...after about four refills of chips, I told chip boy, "no more chips, what I'd really like is a server." they were all apologetic. I told the wife, "you watch, I'll get us a couple of free drinks out of this."

free drinks? they comped the entire meal, wouldn't even accept a tip and wanted to give us tequila shots to top it off! that's the kind of customer service that will bring me back. lone star? not so much. :angry:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    edited September 2018

Post edited by LongestRoad on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Not really any particular experience but it seems almost everywhere I go in my area, restaurants do not ask what temperature you want a burger cooked. And almost all of them cook to well done. Dry burgers suck.