Options

Of The Earth

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    This song is almost a decade old and way overhyped. Stop wishing for it to be on the next studio album.

;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,455
    When was it first played
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    This song is almost a decade old and way overhyped. Stop wishing for it to be on the next studio album.

;)
    :smiley: Back to par for the day.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Love it live
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625

;)

;)
    :smiley: Back to par for the day.
    I laughed as I typed that and thought the same thing
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    AstaakAstaak Connecticut Posts: 45
    I fucking LOVE this song. 
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503
    One of their best tunes..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    KV4053 said:
    When was it first played
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODBrDhu0XVE
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    It’s a fun tune. 

I’m glad I got to hear it in Denver. 
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,060
    Love it!!!  And definitely want to hear a studio version someday. TMR version is an absolute jam. It’s one of my favorite songs PJ has ever put on vinyl.

Live I’ve been lucky to see it twice (Denver and Wrigley) and it was fucking amazing both times. It’s not “overhyped” at all. It’s so layered, heavy and they all get to show off what they do best while jamming. Absolutely love it. 
  • Options
    KV4053 said:
    When was it first played
    Dublin 22nd June  2010
  • Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    I never had strong feelings for this one either way.  But the TMR version is outstanding.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 914
     "I think Ed feels like we havent gotten the best take of Of The Earth from what I remember.I hope we can get it sometime"
    - Mike McCready on Reddit
  • Options
    SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 914
    "We didnt talk about Of The Earth but it would be great sometime to record"
    Mike McCready via Reddit
  • Options
    I hope we get a recording of it some day!!!  
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 899
    Seems like it really could have fit well with the theme of the album. I wouldn’t hold my breath on this one 
  • Options
    CrewCrew Posts: 299
    +2

This.  Why waste new music space on something that is this old and not going to translate to studio..?
  • Options
    EilianEilian Posts: 276
    I love half of it.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    Fair version. Dublin 06 and third man are top notch. The jam in this one is cut too short
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    KN219077 said:
    Seems like it really could have fit well with the theme of the album. I wouldn’t hold my breath on this one 
    +100. I think it should have replaced Comes then Goes to put another hard rocker on the back half of the album. It fits so well on Gigaton, sonically, lyrically, messaging, vibe, everything. Gigaton is probably in my top 5 - with Of the Earth, it may rivaled Yield...

And this is from a guy who likes the song, but is not in love with it. It's unique and crunchy, something Gigaton is. I really like Comes then Goes, but the solo, acoustic ballad just seems awkward in the airy, atmospheric, and driven Gigaton, something Of the Earth would have done perfectly. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 899
    mschostok said:
    KN219077 said:
    +100. I think it should have replaced Comes then Goes to put another hard rocker on the back half of the album. It fits so well on Gigaton, sonically, lyrically, messaging, vibe, everything. Gigaton is probably in my top 5 - with Of the Earth, it may rivaled Yield...

And this is from a guy who likes the song, but is not in love with it. It's unique and crunchy, something Gigaton is. I really like Comes then Goes, but the solo, acoustic ballad just seems awkward in the airy, atmospheric, and driven Gigaton, something Of the Earth would have done perfectly. 
    Replace Buckle Up then I’m with you. Comes then Goes is one of the best on the album
  • Options
    KN219077 said:
    mschostok said:
    KN219077 said:

Replace Buckle Up then I’m with you. Comes then Goes is one of the best on the album
    Or just make the album 13 songs and you don’t have to replace anything. Put it in the back half of the record right before retrograde. I admit I absolutely love Of The Earth but  I agree it would’ve fit perfectly with this album.  Hopefully someday we get a studio version of it. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Ive never listened to more than a minute of this tune. I need to
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,937
    KN219077 said:
    mschostok said:
    KN219077 said:

Agreed. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,937
    KN219077 said:
    mschostok said:
    KN219077 said:

Or just make the album 13 songs and you don’t have to replace anything. Put it in the back half of the record right before retrograde. I admit I absolutely love Of The Earth but  I agree it would’ve fit perfectly with this album.  Hopefully someday we get a studio version of it. 
    Yeah. Wow, would’ve been a 1+hour album. Yes please! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Ive never listened to more than a minute of this tune. I need to
    Listen to the third man records version. It’s absolutely phenomenal. My second recommendation would be wrigley 16. Another great version. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    Am I the only one that loves the fact this song only exists Live?    I think it's damn cool to have a song that gets played but has never had a studio release.  It kind of makes it mythic.
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    KN219077 said:
    mschostok said:
    KN219077 said:

So true, now THAT would be an incredible album. I love Gigaton, but it's so hard not to think how unbelievable of an album it would have been with Of the Earth on there. Totally understand an artist's willingness (or lack thereof) to put out work that you're not feeling, etc. But damn...what could have been. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Zod said:
    Am I the only one that loves the fact this song only exists Live?    I think it's damn cool to have a song that gets played but has never had a studio release.  It kind of makes it mythic.
    nope. me too. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com