Poster Sales Protocol Question

I've been contemplating selling one of my favorite, professionally-framed posters to offset the cost of getting to some of these summer shows.  I haven't seen any posts for framed prints.  Would it be typical to include the cost of the frame and shipping in with the FS price?  I'd be far less inclined to sell if I can't recoup the cost of the framing, but I also don't want to post something not in keeping with the spirit of Lost Dogs.  Thanks for y'alls feedback.

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Absolutely include frame in the price.

Shipping with the frame will be pricey so either say $___plus $__shipping or just say $___shipped
  • Thanks CP3!  I was figuring shipping would be 3-figures, unless I could work something out regionally to meet the buyer halfway.  Appreciate your feedback a bunch.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,272
    I bought a framed poster from someone here.  Unfortunately it does cost a lot and would be easier for most to just get it framed. Shipping was expensive, it wouldn't have worked out but he was able to use his company for a big shipping discount. SO you can look into that if its an option, or look for someone local if possible.
  • Wonder if MediaMail option would fly to help reduce costs.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Wonder if MediaMail option would fly to help reduce costs.
    I would only ship UPS.  They pack it and guarantee it.
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,203
    I've used FedEx a few times and they do it the best IMO.  Packaged everything up nicely for me, and both framed prints arrived safely and on time.
  • A framed poster wouldn't qualify as media mail. It's also my experience that the cheaper you try to get it shipped, the less care will be given to it by the people laying hands on it to get it where it needs to be. 

A few years ago when I posted my Moline frame job on here, I had people sending me DMs asking if they could pay me to frame their Moline poster the same way. I could've made a few bucks to pay for some of my going-to-shows costs. But I absolutely was paranoid about shipping large framed posters with glass. So I politely declined. 

It's not an easy undertaking, but large framed items are shipped every day. You just have to get the right shipping boxes, for starters – preferably a box built specifically for such a thing. Also, there's no such thing as too much bubble wrap. 

If you are 100 percent up front about how much it's likely to cost to ship it, and you're willing to do the packing work to do it right, no harm putting something up. 

But yes, 100 percent you have to factor in the costs of the framing with the poster. I have a Crackerjack that cost $300 to frame because it's an odd size, so a custom-built frame, and it's triple matted with acid-free archival mats. If I sell that poster, framed, I have to probably ask $1,000 for it to get what its market value is, plus the cost of my frame job. Just the nature of the beast. Hopefully any potential buyer understands that.   

1992: Chicago, Tinley Park
    1995: Chicago
    2009: Chicago
    2013: Chicago, Worcester I+II, Los Angeles I+II
    2014: Cincinnati, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Lexington, Toronto II
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV solo)
    2018: Seattle I+II, Chicago I+II, Boston I
    2022: Chicago I+II (EV & Earthlings), Los Angeles I+II, Las Vegas (canceled), New York, St. Louis
    2023: St. Paul I+II, Chicago I+II, Indianapolis (canceled)

• Thanks all.  The shipping feedback is very helpful.  Was also feeling things out on whether including the price of the frame was acceptable and my sense is that it is, but it also may keep me from being able to sell the poster at the going rate and break close to even on framing.