Options

Allegiance and Love: I Am a Patriot

Q-Tip18Q-Tip18 Posts: 21
Does anyone know who wrote the song "I Am a Patriot"? I downloaded PJ doing it and it's a really beutifull song. I think the lyrics hit a very important nail right on the head.
In times of crisis people give various meanings to the words "my country". The song "I Am a Patriot" suggests that the country you love is really the people and their culture. A recent Noam Chomsky interview reads, "for a dedicated totalitarian, ruling powers are to be identified with the people, the culture and the society. For those who have any concern for democracy and freedom, such charges are merely farcical." Chomsky notes here the crucial distinction that needs to be made between one's country and the leaders that serve ones country. Citizens of a totalitarian state are required to offer their love, faith and alllegiance to their rulers. In America citizens offer their allegiance to democracy, which is just another word for reason or sanity.What to love, in America, is left up to the individual.

The singer in this song equates "my country" with his family, his brother and his girl friend:
"I am a Patriot
I love my country
because my country
is all I know

I want to be with my family..."

Like a true patriot, he loves his country.
I want all the bullies who go around saying "support our troops" to hear this song. "Support our troops" is a garish way of identifying the ruling powers with the people. If you don't support our governmments decision to go to war then you don't support our troops, your brothers and sisters. You are a bad patriot because our troops and our Government are one in the same.

God Bless
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i believe it was written by Steve Van Zandt. if i'm wrong then someone correct me.

Great song. i heard it live in Lexington.
    "Dude...it's a hamburger on top of a rocket ship!"
  • Options
    {[No_Code}]{[No_Code}] Posts: 4,059
    that's a great fucking song :D
    So that is how I learned the lesson that everyone is alone. And your eyes must do some raining if you are ever going to grow. But when crying don't help and you can't compose yourself. It is best to compose a poem, an honest longing or simple song of hope.
    That is why I'm singing