*** BOSTON 1 SETLIST THREAD ***

1789101113»

Comments

• OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,170
    Ed talking TOO much?? It didn’t seem longer than normal at all. In fact, he tried to keep it brief to fit more songs in, IMO. His stories were relatively short and he only had one special guest to introduce.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • I think expecting 3+ hour shows gets
    to be a bit much considering they used to play 22-25 songs.  When you get that epic show enjoy it but it isn’t going to be every show.  PJ shows are like sex:  all are good just some are better than the others.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Yoeddy1Yoeddy1 Boise, Idaho Posts: 103
    Chris1401 said:
    Seattle 2 remains the bar! 
    Hands down!
    Restless soul...enjoy your youth!
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,934
    I think expecting 3+ hour shows gets
    to be a bit much considering they used to play 22-25 songs.  When you get that epic show enjoy it but it isn’t going to be every show.  PJ shows are like sex:  all are good just some are better than the others.  
    I'm good with 22-25 if there is an opening band. The expectation is a little more when no one else is on the bill.
  • blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    edited September 2018
    pjl44 said:
    I'm good with 22-25 if there is an opening band. The expectation is a little more when no one else is on the bill.
    Tool gives you 12-15 songs (2hours on the top end) often with no warm up.  What is the proper number?  
  • AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 860
    pjl44 said:
    Tool gives you 12-15 songs (2hours on the top end) often with no warm up.  What is the proper number?  
    Tool has longer songs and doesn't charge $126.
    pjl44 said:
    Tool has had an opener every time I've seen them. ISIS, Fantomas, Tomahawk, Tweak Bird. Maybe there was one show where they didn't, but that is the exception. 
  • U2 doesn’t have a warm up and play 2-2:15 absolute max.  Is that bad then?
    U2 doesn’t have a warm up and play 2-2:15 absolute max.  Is that bad then?
    U2???  :|
    I've seen 40 Pearl Jam shows over 20 years and 3 hours of music, give or take, has been the norm. When they had an opener giving us 45, their average set was 2:15. As they've moved to going out alone, they've generally done 2:45-3:00. If they scaled back to 2 with no opener and charged $120, it would at least limit the number of shows I attend.

It's not about good or bad - just expressing a preference. If the price continues to rise, I would be discouraged if the show length were to decrease. That's my only point.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    AlaG said:
    pjl44 said:
      PJ is 20 times better band than tool
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    pjl44 said:
    I've seen 40 Pearl Jam shows over 20 years and 3 hours of music, give or take, has been the norm. When they had an opener giving us 45, their average set was 2:15. As they've moved to going out alone, they've generally done 2:45-3:00. If they scaled back to 2 with no opener and charged $120, it would at least limit the number of shows I attend.

It's not about good or bad - just expressing a preference. If the price continues to rise, I would be discouraged if the show length were to decrease. That's my only point.
    PJ played 2 hours shows. 2013 they change and when to 2:45, nothing to do with support  band or not
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    AlaG said:
    pjl44 said:
    I like Pearl Jam a lot more than I like Tool. They're my favorite band. Period. But honestly don't really think there's an argument for Pearl Jam being more original or inventive than Tool....especially from a songwriting and lyrics perspective. Speaking entirely objectively. But I understand that we all have different criteria for what makes a good band.
    AlaG said:
    AlaG said:
    pjl44 said:
    I like Pearl Jam a lot more than I like Tool. They're my favorite band. Period. But honestly don't really think there's an argument for Pearl Jam being more original or inventive than Tool....especially from a songwriting and lyrics perspective. Speaking entirely objectively. But I understand that we all have different criteria for what makes a good band.
     Let's put it this way. Pj is away more bigger name than tool. They sold Out 80k stadiums worldwide months before show day
    AlaG said:
    AlaG said:
    pjl44 said:
     Let's put it this way. Pj is away more bigger name than tool. They sold Out 80k stadiums worldwide months before show day
    Present day, I think they are a lot closer than you realize. Both are festival headliners and would quickly sell out arena dates at a similar price. It's hard to really compare because they both have erratic touring schedules these days 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    pjl44 said:
    AlaG said:
    AlaG said:
    pjl44 said:
    Present day, I think they are a lot closer than you realize. Both are festival headliners and would quickly sell out arena dates at a similar price. It's hard to really compare because they both have erratic touring schedules these days 
    Yeah, let's look at it this way, if Tool ever drops that next album they've been teasing for 10 years, I guarantee it will sell more copies than Backspacer and LB combined in less than a few months. I love both bands, but let's not get silly and try and say that Tool isn't an amazing band that can sell out shows even without releasing anything and hiding for years at end. Bitch about PJ length between albums all you want, but Tool fans are rabid AF!
    It's a hopeless situation...
    pjl44 said:
    Really? I have never, I repeat never, gone to a PJ concert and gave 2 shits about the opening band. There have been maybe a couple concerts in my entire life that I have gone to and even liked the opening band or even considered the money I spent on tickets was partially to see them play. Of course that's my opinion; lol.
    edited September 2018
    AlaG said:
    AlaG said:
    pjl44 said:
    Popularity is more an indicator of luck than it is quality. Lots of great rock bands that couldn't even sell 1k tickets a night that I like almost as much as PJ.
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    Really? I have never, I repeat never, gone to a PJ concert and gave 2 shits about the opening band. There have been maybe a couple concerts in my entire life that I have gone to and even liked the opening band or even considered the money I spent on tickets was partially to see them play. Of course that's my opinion; lol.
    Personal taste, I guess. They've had so many openers that I go out and see headline when they come through on their own. My Morning Jacket, Band of Horses, Sleater Kinney, Sparta, Ted Leo, etc.
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    Usually when I go to a smaller show, I've also paid to see the supporting acts and listen to them as much if not more than the headlining act. The bigger the band/venue is, the less true this tends to be. Don't give a shit about who opens for Pearl Jam.
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    Personal taste, I guess. They've had so many openers that I go out and see headline when they come through on their own. My Morning Jacket, Band of Horses, Sleater Kinney, Sparta, Ted Leo, etc.
    Although I will say, that when I went to Tom Petty in '06 I really wanted that awesome opening band with them perform a full show, but I got stuck with only about 17 songs :wink:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    Although I will say, that when I went to Tom Petty in '06 I really wanted that awesome opening band with them perform a full show, but I got stuck with only about 17 songs :wink:
    Ha! Maybe they'll strike out on their own some day. Real talk: I would not have complained about 17  from MMJ in '06!
    pjl44 said:
    AlaG said:
    AlaG said:
    pjl44 said:
    has a huge different the worldwide part..last time tool played outside north america was 11 years ago?
    can they sell out 70k stadium like san siro at their own show for exable 4 months before show day?at soyth america??
    they playing to smaller arenas and venues than pj ..and if the 2 bands gonna play at festival same day which one will be headline?
    no need to mention that huge festivals,,wercter or pinkpop in europe ,i guess lolla at usa wioll not have tool as headliners,but they beg pj to be in their festival headliners
    pjl44 said:
    AlaG said:
    AlaG said:
    pjl44 said:
    has a huge different the worldwide part..last time tool played outside north america was 11 years ago?
    can they sell out 70k stadium like san siro at their own show for exable 4 months before show day?at soyth america??
    they playing to smaller arenas and venues than pj ..and if the 2 bands gonna play at festival same day which one will be headline?
    no need to mention that huge festivals,,wercter or pinkpop in europe ,i guess lolla at usa wioll not have tool as headliners,but they beg pj to be in their festival headliners
    I guess the concert organizers understand that Prison Sex and Stinkfist might not be as acceptable to the masses as Alive and Evenflow :lol:
    edited September 2018
    pjl44 said:
    AlaG said:
    AlaG said:
    pjl44 said:
    Festival point is moot because neither would play a bill where they aren't the headlining act.

Again...who cares who's more popular? Post Malone broke streaming records earlier this year but I wouldn't use that as a point to argue he's a better artist.
    Post edited by AlaG on
    pjl44 said:
    AlaG said:
    AlaG said:
    pjl44 said:
    Good point. I'm only talking North America. Can't really speak to relative popularity abroad. Here in the U.S. I can say they are at about the same level.
  • kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    edited September 2018
    /band plays Daughter, Porch, Alive or Better Man
    "BOO! Change up the setlist more! Too predictable!"

/band plays Evil Little Goat or Out Of My Mind
    "BOO! Not THAT rarity! That song sucks!"

/band plays Just Breathe or Last Kiss
    "BOO! Those suck too!"

/band plays Tremor Christ, Big Wave, Marker in the Sand or Faithfull
    "...this is acceptable."

'96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    edited September 2018
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    AlaG said:
    AlaG said:
    pjl44 said:
    Yeah, let's look at it this way, if Tool ever drops that next album they've been teasing for 10 years, I guarantee it will sell more copies than Backspacer and LB combined in less than a few months. I love both bands, but let's not get silly and try and say that Tool isn't an amazing band that can sell out shows even without releasing anything and hiding for years at end. Bitch about PJ length between albums all you want, but Tool fans are rabid AF!
    This.  Tool is also a great band and it is each persons personal
    preference.  I think Radiohead is better than PJ but that is to my taste.  Doesn’t make me like either less or more.

Tool fans are on another level of passion.  Almost to a fault.  I saw them
    once in MSP and went to Devo the following night.  Adam Jones was there and Inrscogniz dnhim and we was cool and we took a pic together.  Nobody knew who he was until they asked me.  He even remembered my Iron Maiden shirt as I was in 2nd row right in front of him with Blackhawks hat on. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,085
    AlaG said:
    pjl44 said:

Easy now, let's not get that far ahead of ourselves.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,085
    pjl44 said:
    AlaG said:
    AlaG said:
    pjl44 said:

No need for us to drag Tool into this...there is no doubt to me PJ is the most difficult concert  ticket in the US. By a mile.

Tools music is simply not designed for many in the traditional rock audience. Folks that like to groove to the Stones or Bruce may simply not enjoy the brilliance of Tool.

However, Tool does not have a myriad of complex ticket rules that routinely locks out the majority of fans from an opportunity to buy the best seats

(check out the download and transfer instructions to this year's mobile tickets. I had no idea I was going to see Lawyer Jam).

Tool does not reward the same fans with the best seats year after year. You want to sit close and meet Adam and see soundcheck, it's $500. But they offer ALL fans that opportunity to make that choice. Not lock out fans forever from the best seats for decisions made 25 years ago. Plus other prime seat prices are not driven up by lack of supply because they all went to a private club.

It's possible for fans to think Pearl Jam played incredible and probably  their best set of the year at Fenway 1, AND believe they should not vary set times by 40% show to show, and not tell fans the show will start 90 minutes before it actually does and not enjoy all of their ticketing regulations that benefit a select few.