Fenway Firsts

Cancer took my brother in February this year.  It's been an adjustment.  He was 12 years older than myself... so frankly, he was in college by the time I was 6.  I've known my sister-in-law since I was 7 or 8.  It's hard to remember exactly how long that far back.

My brother wasn't much of a Pearl Jam fan, but he did introduce me to the band.  We used to make bets on things and one of those bets I lost had me washing his old car in front of our house.  In that car was a tape that had Even Flow.  I fell in love with the song and used (abused?) BMG CD subscription to pick up some Pearl Jam.  They have been my favorite band ever since. 

I lived with my brother as I was growing up and as he had kids they were indoctrinated into my Pearl Jam love.  It stuck with the eldest.  He's a Pearl Jam fan and that makes me very proud.  I've known him for 20 years now and am officially his uncle, but unofficially I am his brother.  I've spent so much time with him and shared so many Pearl Jam memories that I seem to have made him a bit jealous of my connection with a band and everything they have done for me.  In his own time, and largely responsible to Pearl Jam radio on Sirius XM :), he has become a PJ fan. 

I will be attending Fenway 2 with him and it will be his first concert since his father passed, his first Pearl Jam concert, and I am so lucky that I won tickets through the 10C raffle that I can take him with my 2nd seat.  Personally, it will be a very emotional night for me, and I am so excited that I get to share it with him.

I have no requests.  I just want to say thank you to PJ for being there for me and for being there for my nephew as he deals with everything that comes his way.  I'm just very proud that we can share this concert and have a couple special hours together while watching the greatest band on earth.

I am not sure why I posted this.  I'm not much of a sharer.  I am just really excited for this concert and want it to go well for my nephew.

Thank you, Pearl Jam.

Comments