TRADE COMPLETE!***ISO: 2006 Pittsburgh Ames Bros. poster***TRADE COMPLETE!

FadedGloryFadedGlory Posts: 416
edited September 2018 in Lost Dogs
I have 35 typewriters in my collection, including one of Eddie's favorites – a 1961 Torpedo 18 with a script typeface, same kind he used to type the lyrics for the "Ukulele Songs" album, and used in a few other random PJ liner note/lyric spots, as well. Hell, the one tattoo I have is a typewriter. 

So it's a little weird I don't have the 2006 Pittsburgh Ames Bros. poster – the black typewriter on the red paper. 

Anyone got one? I've got posters to offer up for trade – PJ and EV show editions and APs, tons of movie screenprints (i.e. Mondo, Bottleneck Gallery, etc.), lots of merch from Seattle and Wrigley 2018 and Wrigley 2016 ... hit me up and let's see what we can do if you're in the mood to move one!

1992: Chicago, Tinley Park
1995: Chicago
2009: Chicago
2013: Chicago, Worcester I+II, Los Angeles I+II
2014: Cincinnati, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, Milwaukee
2016: Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Lexington, Toronto II
2017: Ohana Fest (EV solo)
2018: Seattle I+II, Chicago I+II, Boston I
2022: Chicago I+II (EV & Earthlings), Los Angeles I+II, Las Vegas (canceled), New York, St. Louis
2023: St. Paul I+II, Chicago I+II, Indianapolis (canceled)

Post edited by FadedGlory on

Comments

• a5pja5pj Posts: 3,882
    Great poster and show, I have it hanging up at work and always get comments that ppl like it. Shouldn't be too hard to find, good luck!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• PP193448PP193448 Posts: 4,281
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • PP193448PP193448 Posts: 4,281
    edited August 2018
    I have one, think show edition.  Would consider trade.  Looking for Wrigley 2018 Ames and Thomas Variants and Lexington Whiskey variant. Obviously would add something on my end.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • FadedGloryFadedGlory Posts: 416
    Yup ... already own the shirt! 

What's grating at me a little bit is in Seattle a few weeks ago for the two shows, I went to the Ames Bros. pop-up shop on Saturday, and they had a 40x60 version of the poster in the gallery. It was $250. It was MASSIVE. After all the money I had spent on posters and shirts and everything else out there, plus just the general cost of the trip, I didn't dare ask The Mrs. if I could drop $250 on a huge typewriter poster. I probably just should have risked the divorce proceedings and done it. I actually emailed Ames Bros. two days ago to see if it's still available, but haven't heard back.

2022: Chicago I+II (EV & Earthlings), Los Angeles I+II, Las Vegas (canceled), New York, St. Louis

PP193448 said:
    Yeah – I made an offer on one of them, actually, but was denied. I've got enough stuff built up in the collection that if I can do it in a trade, I'd love to not spend the money on the heels of two Seattle shows and two Wrigley shows. 

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,328
    PP193448 said:
    Yeah – I made an offer on one of them, actually, but was denied. I've got enough stuff built up in the collection that if I can do it in a trade, I'd love to not spend the money on the heels of two Seattle shows and two Wrigley shows. 
    Be patient. You’ll get one. That’s a 60-75$ Poster imo. 
    PP193448 said:
    I have one, think show edition.  Would consider trade.  Looking for Wrigley 2018 Ames and Thomas Variants and Lexington Whiskey variant. Obviously would add something on my end.
    I have the 2018 Wrigley Ames, but just the show edition. I have the 2016 Lexington, but also just the show edition ... and kinda wanna hold on to that one since it was a show I was at. I wasn't at Pittsburgh 06, but just the image itself is what I'm after. It's appropriate art, considering this is what sits in my office at home: 

• JB56195JB56195 Posts: 303
    PP193448 said:
    I have the 2018 Wrigley Ames, but just the show edition. I have the 2016 Lexington, but also just the show edition ... and kinda wanna hold on to that one since it was a show I was at. I wasn't at Pittsburgh 06, but just the image itself is what I'm after. It's appropriate art, considering this is what sits in my office at home: 

That tractor looks terrible on top of that bookshelf.  I'll take it off your hands for you.

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

JB56195 said:
    PP193448 said:

That tractor looks terrible on top of that bookshelf.  I'll take it off your hands for you.
    Hahhh! You wouldn't be the first to offer. I had an offer for $1,000, just as it is, a few years ago and turned it down. I'm not gonna lie – it's a pretty proud framing moment for me. Triple matted – and for the top mat, I bought a John Deere toy tractor and brown paint, then ran the tractor tires through the paint. Then I ran them all over the mat board. Once it dried, we cut the openings. So it looks like the tractor at one point broke out of the poster and drove all around the mat board.  

• Trade complete. Thanks to those who offered up trade possibilities!

• a5pja5pj Posts: 3,882
    So I have to ask, what's the reason for collecting so many typewriters?
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• a5pj said:
    So I have to ask, what's the reason for collecting so many typewriters?
    Well, as far back as when I was in third grade, I remember wanting to be a sportswriter. And my career report in seventh grade said I was going to be the sports editor of the Chicago Tribune. And I was writing for a suburban Chicago newspaper when I was in high school. (Including a review of "Vs.," if you can believe that ... I wish I still had that.) So I always wanted to be a writer and was fascinated with newspapers and writing and words. That's the field I went to school for and that's the career I've always been in. 

But obviously my entire life, I've been using computers, not manual typewriters. I got my first manual typewriter when I was just out of college. It was a Christmas gift, and it was an antique German one from the 1930s. Just a cool display piece. Over a few years, I got a few more – but always just display pieces. I love old rusty stuff and vintage stuff and collect a lot of antiques and repurpose a lot of old stuff for fun in my spare time. 

In 2013, a few years after my grandpa died, I got a typewriter that was his and was in our family that got passed on to me tattooed on my arm. But still, I just loved them to look at them. 

But a few years ago, I got one that I started to actually use – a 1952 Royal Quiet Deluxe. And then I started to get a lot more interested in them from not just a sit-on-the-shelf perspective, but a collecting and actually using perspective. So I started to collect these 1955-57 Royal Quiet Deluxes that came in like 10 different colors – red, pink, green, charcoal, blue, teal ... and it became a little bit of an addiction. 

Now I collect mostly mid-century portables – and I try to use a different one every day to maybe type a letter to someone or type a daily to-do list. Besides the Royal QDLs that I love finding and using, I have three personal favorites: (1) A 1962 Torpedo 18 from West Germany with a script (cursive) typeface. I had to search long and hard to find it, and the reason I wanted it is because that's the typewriter Eddie used to type the lyrics for the liner notes to the "Ukulele Songs" album. You can find Torpedo 18s and 18Bs, but finding one with the script typeface like Eddie's machine took a few years. (2) My freshman year of high school typing teacher's father's Hermes 2000 – the same machine she learned to type on. Then she became a teacher, taught business and typing classes, taught me how to type, and earlier this year, 27 years after teaching me, she gave me that machine. (3) A 1972 Royal Mercury that literally was owned by Tom Hanks as part of his personal collection. He signed it on the ribbon cover, and now it belongs to me with a typewritten note about the machine from him affixed to the ribbon cover. 

So that's more than you probably ever wanted to know about my typewriter collection. But I do love them very much and wish more people did, too. Fact: There are no typewriter factories left in the entire world. Almost certainly, no one will ever make another new typewriter ever again. That bums me out, so I like doing my part to keep them alive. There's something cathartic about closing the laptop and pushing it to the side and typing on a 1947 Quiet Deluxe or the Torpedo or a 1954 Olivetti Lettera 22.