Options

1st stadium concert (Fenway)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,227
    edited August 2018
    PJNB said:
    Seattle 2 2018 and Fenway 2 2016 are two of the best show I have ever seen by any band at any venue. Hard to explain unless you were there. Being close does not matter. 

I'd be very interested if you had links to some clips. I have seen white a few, as I'm very interested in checking out their high energy shows. The vids I have found so far haven't been that great.

Edit, Seattle2, thanks!
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,227
    JH6056 said:
    I love a lot of music/bands. The only 2 that I travel to see are PJ and the Jacket.

The reason is, I know the show will be great, regardless of the set list. If I thought for one second I might not like the set list, I wouldn't bother traveling to see a band.

PJ is getting older as we all are, and retirement may not be that far off for them. They have slowed down dramatically the last four to five years.

Since they most likely will not be back on stage on the east coast before next summer, these two Boston shows are the only opportunity to see the band on the east coast over a three year period. We do not have the luxury of waiting for the perfect location to see them.

Every second they spend playing someone else's tune is a second I'll be wishing for a Pearl Jam tune.
    You're so funny!  You keep complaining about the covers... you don't seem to realize that a band that has been touring for 28 yrs can get BORED with playing only their own songs night after night.  I don't know if you were at Seattle 2 or not, but I guarantee you that part of the reason the energy and the performances were OFF THE CHAIN are because the setlist was FUN for them to play!  The covers were amazing, and that energy breathes new life into their versions of their own songs.  It's almost like you'd be fine with them phoning it in if they're original songs... Not that they'd phone it in, they'd probably just play 4 shows every 4 years so it doesn't get old.

You have every right to hate covers, but do believe: covers are part of what is keeping the magic in the shows and keeping them on their toes (and new original music even more so).  So complain away, but most of us love at least some of the covers, and ALL OF US love epic shows!  Covers are our friend.

Pearl Jam bored playing Pearl Jam songs. You thought I was the comic!

I've seen many great bands playing live shows longer than 28 years and they never felt the need to resort to covers to get enthusiasm.

This reminds me of MSG 1 2016, it was off the charts.

But MSG2 got ALL the press because Sting and Cheap Trick showed up to guest on covers.

Sure when Ed said "please welcome" the place went hysterical, but the energy level during the actual covers was nothing spectacular.

Compare that to N1, when they opened with Go, the Garden was shaking. Like I had to grab onto the people next to me shaking. Shaking As it was for many of the first ten songs that day. Listen to the boots, they are available here.

Ed mentions a few times he hadn't felt a building shake like that in years. And he acknowledged the crowd often for drowning him out for most of the show. But some TCers said here they were in the 200s that night and thought the crowd was mellow. Perspective and proximity to the stage do matter!

But none of the energy Ed and those near me  made the news. Because, y'know, special guests and their covers.