Options

Ten covers of Dylan tunes that stand the test of time; Two-disc set....

VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,914
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Culture
Ten covers of Dylan tunes that stand the test of time; Two-disc set contains work from an astonishing array of artists
Mike Devlin
Victoria Times Colonist

10 January 2008
Edmonton Journal
Final
D2

I'm Not There is a very left-field tale, so it comes as no surprise that the accompanying soundtrack is equally fantastical. The two-disc set features 34 Dylan covers from an astonishing collection of artists, ranging from Jack Johnson to Roger McGuinn of The Byrds. Many of the songs feature unheard-of collaborations (Willie Nelson and Calexico? Eddie Vedder with members of Sonic Youth?), and the majority of songs are lesser-known gems from Dylan's catalogue. The results? Awesome.

Our first activity, upon hearing these newly recorded versions, was to determine which of the hundreds of Dylan covers we've heard during our lifetime continue to cut the mustard years after their release. The culmination of our exhaustive efforts is listed below, in no particular order.

1. Blowin' in the Wind by Peter, Paul and Mary, from In the Wind (1963). Not only did the folk trio's smash effort from 1963 top the pop charts, their hit cover of Blowin' in the Wind introduced the mainstream music world to one of Dylan's signature tunes (he released his own version months later).

Peter, Paul and Mary's innocent approach to the song won two Grammys and stands tall among the many who have since covered it, from Stevie Wonder and Elvis Presley to Sam Cooke and Bobby Darin.

2. Mr. Tambourine Man by The Byrds, from Mr. Tambourine Man (1965). The debut by McGuinn and Co. took its title from the Dylan tune of the same name, which was featured months prior to the arrival of its author's version on Bringing it All Back Home. Both appear on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

3. Masters of War (live) by Eddie Vedder and Mike McCready, from Bob Dylan. The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration (1993). During the star-studded concert made famous by fans booing Sinead O'Connor off stage, two members of Pearl Jam quietly held their own among heavyweights like Johnny Cash, Neil Young and George Harrison.

4. Maggie's Farm by Rage Against the Machine, from Renegades (2000). The bottom end on this cover of Maggie's Farm is grotesquely deep, laying a concrete foundation over which rapper Zach de la Rocha spits liquid fire. It was the band's final studio effort, and to some, it's among their best -- thanks entirely to this tune.

5. All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix, from Electric Ladyland (1968).

The propulsive guitar wizardry on Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower makes this cover arguably the best rendition of all time. It's a giant tribute, prompting Dylan himself to say, in 1995: "He probably improved upon it by the spaces he was using." Enough said.

6. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue by Them, from Them Again (1966). Van Morrison is among the most soulful of singers, a talent that gives this early cover a street-level shine that has not yet tarnished.

7. It Ain't Me Babe by Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash, from Orange Blossom Special (1965). The Man in Black tackled three Bob Dylan covers for Orange Blossom Special, becoming one of the pioneers in Dylan-pilfering. It was a deft choice; in some ways, the duet is more memorable than Dylan's original.

8. Just Like a Woman by Richie Havens, from Mixed Bag (1967). It was considered jazz upon its release, but folk singer Richie Havens' third full-length was a masterpiece of inspiration all the same.

9. I Shall Be Released by The Band, from Music From Big Pink (1968). The Band's well-ensconced debut (No. 34 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time) closed with this Dylan original, which the author didn't release under his own name until 1971. If you ask us, we'll take The Band's interpretation: the late Richard Manuel's vocals couldn't be more honest, raw and emotionally fulfilling.

10. I'll Keep it With Mine by Nico, from Chelsea Girl (1967). Nico, the one-time Velvet Underground member and associate/plaything of Andy Warhol, has an ice-cold voice one comes to appreciate over time. There's no mistaking the 1960s in her version of I'll Keep it With Mine, but the future legends who appear alongside the German-born Christa Paffgen -- Jackson Browne, Lou Reed and John Cale -- make it a must-hear.

CanWest News Service

Photo: Supplied / Jimi Hendrix ; Photo: Reuters, File / Van Morrison ;
Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river