Rookie poster questions

JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
Hi all, watching all the merch discussions on the Porch, I have 3 clearly rookie poster questions:

1. What's an "AP"?
2. What's a "variant"? and 
3. Do all poster artists for PJ do these?  How/when do they go onsale?

Thank you!

Comments

• Artists Print
    A different version of the main/show print.
    No to #2 but yes to #1 (almost) as it allows them to make more money via their arrangement with the band.  When varies.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Posts: 3,298

whoa ... those are some loaded questions

Artist print is the actual artist copies they sell themselves. They are signed and numbered out of a certain #. Usually 100. Same edition as the one you'd get at the show except these are signed/#'d by artist.

Variant version is again the artist version but it will have a different color from the regular design and is normally a lower #'d edition

When do they go on sale? It can be anytime after the show.

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Thanks both of you, that explains a lot!  

One more question, does the demand and the cost of the APs or variants rely more on who the artist is, or the actual design of each print (whether more people love it or not).  Like, are some artists going to always sell more and at higher cost just because of who they are and they're catalogue, even if their current print is a cowboy with 4 eyes?  (Yes, I know a tiny bit about prints ;) )
  • They typically have a maximum number they can sell based on what they negotiate with the band, is how I understand it.
    Price and quantity varies as a result of that.

The design popularity won't matter as they are made ahead of the release.

And....yes, sone artists are more popular and seem to always sell out.  Pearl jam helps - visit some sites and you will see that they might have APs still up from past sales for other artists but not usually from the PJ posters.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Thanks F! =)
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    AP is artist's Proof-  it is an edition they print separate of the run for the band or event to sell on their web sites and stores.  They are usually no different other than a signature and possible edition number.  SO the show poster with a signature and a limited alternative or pre/post show edition printing number meaning the number of the poster printed out of the total edition printed 25/50 means 25th poster from the edition of 50.  The variants are usually a change in ink colors for some or all of the poster to make it more unique and in some ways then more collectable.  They are usually done in very small qualities.  The artwork itself is the same usually, just the coloration changes, or the paper it is printed on changes.
    Thanks!
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Good example of the variant is the Night Raid version of the St Paul show 2014. Same poster but in black and white.

I preferred the original full colour version myself but that’s the beauty of art!