Options

My story dealing with several horrible entitled “railbirds” in GA at Wrigley 2

Comments

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,756
    bbiggs said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I see the same (several) people on rail at most/every show.  Its a sickness
    Wonder if the band gets tired of seeing the same faces. I would. 
    No. They don't. These crazies start the lines days in advance. That kind of shit gets publicity. No such thing as bad pub.

Then Ed mad a point of getting the Rizzo Jersey on night 1 to the Release guy from Let's Play Two. And they made a point of showing the old Aussie dude from LPT several times. Think these guys aren't going to go for rail every time? 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Sounds like you were surrounded by a buncha evil little goats. I was surrounded by them on all sides in Krakow...no place to hide. Solution...move (but not necessarily back). :lol: 
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    That is why I usually just go for 4-5 rows back.  Easy, no hassle, only have to get to the GA line like an hour before the show

The more I read on Facebook groups and this site, the more people I hear about that just have rude manners and are set on fucking up other people's experiences for a right they only think they have but don't actually have
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    bbiggs said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I believe this is why they chose to go with a lottery based ga system in the first place.  

I recognize several of their faces when i see the screen video and also social media posts by members.  There is one girl in particular who is front and center every single show.  No clue how these people can procure ga/euro tix for every single show on the up and up.  
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    The repeat offenders are just flat out selfish people.  Only so many shows a year and only so many cities, and some of these folks have to be front and center every time.  Selfish.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam seemingly attracts so many nutjobs in terms of GA line

You have pushers and shovers, you have people making unofficial number queues and line queues, etc.  It is just out of hand 
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,756
    The repeat offenders are just flat out selfish people.  Only so many shows a year and only so many cities, and some of these folks have to be front and center every time.  Selfish.
    At least we never have to wonder if they let women and children get served first at family gatherings. 

I always sit back and watch for that during gatherings. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610

You have pushers and shovers, you have people making unofficial number queues and line queues, etc.  It is just out of hand 
    Seems to work out pretty well I think. Get there early for rail. Push and shove ay-holes aren’t very common. I think we do pretty well as a group. the number thing came up as a problem in one or two euro shows this year. 
  • Options

Seems to work out pretty well I think. Get there early for rail. Push and shove ay-holes aren’t very common. I think we do pretty well as a group. the number thing came up as a problem in one or two euro shows this year. 
    For sure I don't mean to say that PJ fans as a whole are bad or that the GA experience is all bad, but sometimes you hear about stories like this often and it just makes me wonder how these few crazy PJ fans affect so many people's concert experiences for the worse because they have some imaginary "right" to be at the rail.

At least 10C made a statement about the unofficial numbering systems I think that was a good move
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611

For sure I don't mean to say that PJ fans as a whole are bad or that the GA experience is all bad, but sometimes you hear about stories like this often and it just makes me wonder how these few crazy PJ fans affect so many people's concert experiences for the worse because they have some imaginary "right" to be at the rail.

At least 10C made a statement about the unofficial numbering systems I think that was a good move
    the problem with these rules, is they become selective, and do not favor those who follow them

example:  No lining up before a certain time.  Meanwhile there was a line someone created elsewhere before the sanctioned line.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    Reading stuff like this is why I have absolutely zero interest in GA.  I'll always go reserved for 10c seats...
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,608
    I did my first ga show (other then Lolla 07) for Seattle night 1. Now that I’ve done it, I would say this isn’t exclusive to the front row or weather delays. I got there at a reasonable time and ended up about 10 rows back probably. Right before the show started some dude taller than me who claims to be looking for someone gets in front of me and stays there for most of the first set. Then right before the first encore two dudes taller then me show up out of nowhere and decide they will stand there now. It’s just a shame people can’t be a little more polite to each other.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    edited August 2018
    Is this thread about people who camp out or jag-offs that push to the front? Because they’re two totally different groups. 
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,227
    Lol, i just laugh at how half you people would fair at a Metallica or Slayer GA show. If you want a guaranteed spot and noone to touch you  get a reserved seat. I was actually kind of disappointed how mellow the Seattle pit was.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    ShakesckyShakescky Posts: 342
    MayDay10 said:

the problem with these rules, is they become selective, and do not favor those who follow them

example:  No lining up before a certain time.  Meanwhile there was a line someone created elsewhere before the sanctioned line.
    with an added numbering system as well! oh you will be in the back of the line at number two hundred. see the one person who just showed up for the first time today and could be two hundred and one? well, they're a long time fan and well known on forums and social media, so they will be taken care of and can cut in with no problem. the mob will descend upon you if you attempt the same thing. :)
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • Options
    JvollmanJvollman Posts: 129
    I was 10 deep on mikes side before delay. I was one of first hundred or so let out after. I could have easily taken row 2-3 but went right back to my spot. So did a few others that were around me before. I just felt it was more of an honor system thing. Felt awful for those on rail before and lost it. I was very happy where I was. We did have two super annoying girls shove by us then then they tried to get through guys in front of us and he told them to “piss off”. It was comical. Other than that, great experience. 
    First - Chicago, Illinois (March 10, 1994) *
    In Between - Chicago (9), East Troy (4) Champaign (1), Noblesville (1), Moline (1)
    Last - Wrigley (August 20, 2016)
  • Options
    What sickens me is that i see the same people front row every show. What is the goal actually?? So that they can shake eddie’s hand?
    the sound is way better if you are at the back actually
    i’ve been in rail once in madrid
    wasn’t my best experience, and i experience similar stuff like in this post. People fighting for spots
    lame
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Options
    ShakesckyShakescky Posts: 342
    What sickens me is that i see the same people front row every show. What is the goal actually?? So that they can shake eddie’s hand?
    the sound is way better if you are at the back actually
    i’ve been in rail once in madrid
    wasn’t my best experience, and i experience similar stuff like in this post. People fighting for spots
    lame
    for some people it has become less about the music and more about super fan recognition. sadly this happens with all fan bases within bands. and if you haven't seen it for another band you enjoy, it's definitely out there.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    sissonp33 said:
    Sorry to hear about the hassle up front. I haven’t fought for position in years and don’t miss it, finally talked my wife into GA for MT last week and we had an awesome show on the back barrier.

I was kind of happy for the GA redo just for the fact that it gave people a chance to get closer based on something other than the ability to camp out in line all day. I feel like it’s always the same people on the rail, so if they had to watch from a few feet further away that’s okay by me. I got in line 10 minutes before the gate opened and still ended up about 20 people deep center stage, only lost 10 or 15 feet after reentry, no biggie. Surrounded by good people before and after the delay, more so than a lot of shows I’ve been to. Aside for the clamor for the rail, I think the storm provided a little extra camaraderie for the crowd as a whole. 

Thanks to all those who had fun and respect all night...it ended up being worth it!
    Completely agree with you about MT. GA there felt more like being in an arena. In contrast to Seattle (where we also had GA), the GA section was infinitely better (and smaller). We were at the back corner on Stone's side. Could see everything, and we were only like 15ft from the stage! We walked in about 20 mins prior to the start of the show, and had a fantastic time. Earlier that day, we enjoyed hiking around Rattlesnake Canyon, had a nice lunch, a little nap, and an all around great day. To think that as an alternative, we could have stood outside, exposed in the heat, waiting tirelessly just to be 10ft closer is insane in my opinion. Especially when I'm in cities I've never been to before, I want to see the sights, eat the local specialties, etc... The last thing I want to do is wait in a line!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I am going to pour a drink before reading this thread........
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    bbiggs said:
    MayDay10 said:
    No. They don't. These crazies start the lines days in advance. That kind of shit gets publicity. No such thing as bad pub.

Then Ed mad a point of getting the Rizzo Jersey on night 1 to the Release guy from Let's Play Two. And they made a point of showing the old Aussie dude from LPT several times. Think these guys aren't going to go for rail every time? 
    There seems to be a group that works together to make sure they get the rail every show.  Seems like they use lists, unofficial lines, etc to make sure that the system works in their favor.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I am going to pour a drink before reading this thread........
    Haha, buck! Love it! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    We had a girl at the Vic tell us that her and her boyfriend were supposed to be right up front on one of the GA sections they have there.

When she arrived, there were already about twenty people where she wanted to be. She shoved her way through a bunch of people and stood with her arms spread like she was a goaltender shouting "My boyfriend is coming! He'll kick all your asses!".

A little while into the show, she had her phone swatted out of her hand because she was putting in front of someone else's face while recording or taking pictures or something.

Some people just have no clue when it comes to etiquette .

Sorry for your experience, OP.

Just remember, they have to go through life sucking at decency but you don't as long as you don't stoop to their level.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs said:
    bbiggs said:
    MayDay10 said:

There seems to be a group that works together to make sure they get the rail every show.  Seems like they use lists, unofficial lines, etc to make sure that the system works in their favor.
    That just makes me angry as a PJ fan seeing how dedicated they are to selfishness and trying to make up rules for the purpose of controlling other PJ fans

If they truly got the rail through doing what everyone else does, waiting in line and getting their spot through honesty and decency I wouldn't even care that much if they were front row every concert ever.  But when you pull shady tactics like number systems or unofficial lines before the official ones could officially begin - that is just petty and dumb
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs said:
    bbiggs said:
    MayDay10 said:

That just makes me angry as a PJ fan seeing how dedicated they are to selfishness and trying to make up rules for the purpose of controlling other PJ fans

If they truly got the rail through doing what everyone else does, waiting in line and getting their spot through honesty and decency I wouldn't even care that much if they were front row every concert ever.  But when you pull shady tactics like number systems or unofficial lines before the official ones could officially begin - that is just petty and dumb
    100% agree.  The dude in Let’s Play Two earned his spot (both on the rail and in the movie) by waiting 4 days.  Not sure how he got the rail again with an 8am day of show lineup on Saturday.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    dudeman said:
    We had a girl at the Vic tell us that her and her boyfriend were supposed to be right up front on one of the GA sections they have there.

When she arrived, there were already about twenty people where she wanted to be. She shoved her way through a bunch of people and stood with her arms spread like she was a goaltender shouting "My boyfriend is coming! He'll kick all your asses!".

A little while into the show, she had her phone swatted out of her hand because she was putting in front of someone else's face while recording or taking pictures or something.

Some people just have no clue when it comes to etiquette .

Sorry for your experience, OP.

Just remember, they have to go through life sucking at decency but you don't as long as you don't stoop to their level.
    Was this the “Eddie would go” screecher
    from the bootleg?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    PJ-Cubs said:
    bbiggs said:
    MayDay10 said:

The good ol’ boys (and girls) club. 
  • Options
    I really wish they would move to the random drawing system that Bruce uses.
  • Options
    swany24swany24 Posts: 52
    I've had both GA and reserved for the Wrigley shows.  GA was a cool experience to have once, but reserved is where it's at.  While people were waiting in line all day Saturday, me and my friend were Ubering throughout the city exploring some of the great breweries the city has to offer.  That's a much better use of my time, rather than standing in a line all day.

My only complaint about the reserved seats is that this year I got the BP section tickets.  They were way too low.  
  • Options
    mikeliskamikeliska Posts: 248
    swany24 said:
    I've had both GA and reserved for the Wrigley shows.  GA was a cool experience to have once, but reserved is where it's at.  While people were waiting in line all day Saturday, me and my friend were Ubering throughout the city exploring some of the great breweries the city has to offer.  That's a much better use of my time, rather than standing in a line all day.

My only complaint about the reserved seats is that this year I got the BP section tickets.  They were way too low.  
    You can still enjoy GA without waiting in lines.  I tend to walk in a few minutes before the show starts.
This discussion has been closed.