GA Line etiquette

EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
We have a group of 4 that will be in GA for N2 Wrigley.  Three of us plan to get in line at noon but the 4th can't get there until 2PM.   Is it an issue to have the 4th person meet us in line?

Thanks 

6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
Tagged:

Comments

• PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    I would imagine that it would be tbh

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I cannot stress this enough-- talk to your neighbors. Just tell them.  All will be well.  Communication is the key though.

Enjoy!  :rock_on:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    If this is acceptable, then no wonder people talk about the GA lines becoming a nightmare. I get that there may be no malice there, but then when do the rules begin to apply? 1 of 4 is late, that's okay? What if 2 of 4 are late? 1 of 4?

Especially in a GA the size of Wrigley, you're really just better off waiting until 2 p.m. I wouldn't think getting in line at 2 instead of noon would set you back that many rows.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    If this is acceptable, then no wonder people talk about the GA lines becoming a nightmare. I get that there may be no malice there, but then when do the rules begin to apply? 1 of 4 is late, that's okay? What if 2 of 4 are late? 1 of 4?

Especially in a GA the size of Wrigley, you're really just better off waiting until 2 p.m. I wouldn't think getting in line at 2 instead of noon would set you back that many rows.
    Agreed..! 

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

We had a woman in front of us in the Cincy line. She was on her own, waiting for her ticket buddy.  Turns out that the ticket buddy never showed but we extended courtesy to her. I get what you mean, but sometimes kindness goes a long way.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • madhat181madhat181 Posts: 367
    edited August 2018
    People way up front will have more of a problem with this. I knew 2 guys who took shifts for N1 in 2016.
    Post edited by madhat181 on
  • LV129547LV129547 Posts: 15
    I see nothing wrong with holding a place for the person you are going to the show with if you can get there early.  Not everyone has an entire day free.

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    (quietly votes for seats upfront instead of a ga pit)

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    Vedd Hedd said:

(quietly agrees, loved the setup for Fenway 2016 with all seats on the field level)
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    I camped out in '14 and my wife couldn't be there as early because of work / kids, she got there early afternoon.  I let the people ahead and behind me know she would be coming; everyone was  extremely cool with it.  The people in front of me had a group of 8 people and they all rotated holding the spots with about 4 or 5 people in line at a time up until about 3 hours before the show, as others went to hotel to shower, eat, etc.  The people behind me had a group of 6 and same thing; 3-4 there for the long haul but others came late after work or wherever they were.   There is no written rules and there will always be the people that push the envelope.   I have zero issues with one or two people not being able to be there he whole time but I have issues with one person in line holding spots for a group of [say] 6 or more that show up right before the show.  Just my opinion.  It all comes down to the people around you.  Some people may be pissed but the majority understand.....Just don't send one person to hold spots for a large group, that causes issues with people understandably so.         
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • LV129547 said:
    I see nothing wrong with holding a place for the person you are going to the show with if you can get there early.  Not everyone has an entire day free.

I agree. Any ticket buddy is fine. If I get there at 2 but my wife can’t get there til 4, she’s going to b with me and not at the back of the line. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    Vedd Hedd said:

(quietly agrees, loved the setup for Fenway 2016 with all seats on the field level)
    I'll third that. When I've had GA, I go in well after doors. The lining up and the holding territory is way too much stress.
  • madhat181madhat181 Posts: 367
    Just don't send one person to hold spots for a large group, that causes issues with people understandably so.         
    1 person holding a spot for a group is a no-no. Yea, if you can wait all day and a friend has work it's understandable. It's alway best to let the people right behind you in line know. Give respect and get respect.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    madhat181 said:
    Just don't send one person to hold spots for a large group, that causes issues with people understandably so.         
    1 person holding a spot for a group is a no-no. Yea, if you can wait all day and a friend has work it's understandable. It's alway best to let the people right behind you in line know. Give respect and get respect.
    What about the people behind the people that are behind you? 
    LV129547 said:

Disagree. I can be there Friday at 8a.m....this is possibly a time where I could secure rail. My girlfriend and 2 others can't be there til Saturday afternoon. Sooo...all i gotta do is tell people vnah, it's cool, they're with me." While I'm at it, if any of you want to throw $100 my way, I'll just tell people behind me that you're with me too. Then you can show up when gates open.

Or as an example, Bill and his wife wait in line for a Wrigley show. They know their friends Steve and Susie are attending from out of town and just tell the people around them had to work but will be there8 hours later. Then at the Boston show, they switch it. Steve and Susie wait in line all day and Bill and Mary get to show up 8 hours later. It just allows for nonsense to happen.

Hate to sound like the line nazi here, but allowing so many people go in line just creates a mess. ESPECIALLY if it's more than 1 person. What are the limits to this? It just leaves the door for potential issues wide open. Totally cool if 1 person walks away and uses the restroom or whatever, but don't abuse it.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    Kind of odd tonight in Missoula at then10c line.  We are reserved but after going through and getting our ticket swiped they tried to give us GA wristbands.  I told them I didn’t want one and they almost insisted. I had to tell them I am reserved and don’t need it.  I suspect the GA will be REALLY full tonight if people are not honest.
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    LV129547 said:

Disagree. I can be there Friday at 8a.m....this is possibly a time where I could secure rail. My girlfriend and 2 others can't be there til Saturday afternoon. Sooo...all i gotta do is tell people vnah, it's cool, they're with me." While I'm at it, if any of you want to throw $100 my way, I'll just tell people behind me that you're with me too. Then you can show up when gates open.

Or as an example, Bill and his wife wait in line for a Wrigley show. They know their friends Steve and Susie are attending from out of town and just tell the people around them had to work but will be there8 hours later. Then at the Boston show, they switch it. Steve and Susie wait in line all day and Bill and Mary get to show up 8 hours later. It just allows for nonsense to happen.

Hate to sound like the line nazi here, but allowing so many people go in line just creates a mess. ESPECIALLY if it's more than 1 person. What are the limits to this? It just leaves the door for potential issues wide open. Totally cool if 1 person walks away and uses the restroom or whatever, but don't abuse it.
    Agree 100%. You do the time in line to get the spot. If you can not do this then the spot is not for you. 
  • LV129547 said:

I get it but all I’m saying is TC tix come in pairs, if one person is there, then your plus 1 should be able to get in line with no problems. More than one is being disrespectful. 
  • EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I actually am in agreement and just wanted to show my buddy that it wouldn't be cool just to jump the line.  
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Vedd Hedd said:

+1.  Bring back all seats.... No GA.  

|9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • stevedsteved Posts: 651
    LV129547 said:

The closer to the front you are the more strict the unwritten rules are. In the first 50 people or less your spot is when you arrive, period. The only exception would be holding the spot for your plus one for maybe a half an hour or so. (They are in the cab / uber) on their way or dropping your stuff off at the hotel.

I will give you an example. My wife arrived Sunday for the Wednesday Seattle show, I arrived Monday. She was #4 in line, I was around #30. We hung together in the #4 spot and slept in the same spot but when it was gates open I went in in the #30 spot, she went in the #4 spot.
    #5 thru #29 would not have been cool with me going in with her. Not at all! I met up with her once inside and we watched the show together. You can always be right behind the person you want to watch the show with, but entering the venue is the spot where you arrive.

Night two we went right from the first show to get on line. Some of us made it out of the venue before our partners. It was only a couple of minutes. That was no issue. There were a couple of people that had arrived and wanted to hold spots for their other 3 friends. That didn't fly. They could hold the spot for one person, and the other 2 were in the place in line where they arrived.

This is consistent with about a dozen shows I have camped out for PJ shows.

Again, as you go farther back people are less strict about it in my experience. The issue is you only need one person right behind you but before your friends spot to get upset. Then it is unfair to push them back.

If everyone could hold a spot for their plus one you could be #25 in line and now you are #50. That is the difference between being on the rail or not. Seeing as that is many people camp out, it is just not fare to them.
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    LV129547 said:

I didn't have an entire day to waste so I go to the back of the line.

I think the issue is that it's mostly harmless if it's 1 person.   The problem is you end up having a lot of people missing their +1's.   Some dude get's in the line with 50 people and it balloons to 100 by the time the doors open.  That kind of thing.    I know I get grumpy when I see a line I thought I had a good position it continue to get fatter and fatter before the doors open. 

I guess my conclusion is it's not a biggie if it's 1 person, but it's annoying when there's alot of people missing their +1's in front of you.
  • AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    Just say they went to the bathroom and should be back some time in the next hour or so, thanks to the food truck hotdog they had for lunch. 
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    AAJC said:
    Just say they went to the bathroom and should be back some time in the next hour or so, thanks to the food truck hotdog they had for lunch. 
    Yep.  Tell 'em he has the double dragon.  That should be enough to justify the 2-hour difference. Nobody asks questions when you pull the double dragon
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    By noon on showday there will already be hundreds of people in front of you. By 2pm there will be a few more. Have lunch, wait for your friend, get in line together.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    By noon on showday there will already be hundreds of people in front of you. By 2pm there will be a few more. Have lunch, wait for your friend, get in line together.
    B-I-N-G-O
  • LV129547 said:

The conscientious is - that it's not cool or allowed. So it is wrong.

So if that person can't get there early, then you wait and get in line when he/she can.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Zod said:
    LV129547 said:

I didn't have an entire day to waste so I go to the back of the line.

I think the issue is that it's mostly harmless if it's 1 person.   The problem is you end up having a lot of people missing their +1's.   Some dude get's in the line with 50 people and it balloons to 100 by the time the doors open.  That kind of thing.    I know I get grumpy when I see a line I thought I had a good position it continue to get fatter and fatter before the doors open. 

I guess my conclusion is it's not a biggie if it's 1 person, but it's annoying when there's alot of people missing their +1's in front of you.
    It is a biggie. 

Why should that person skip the line, instead of you going back standing with your friend?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • nothing matters unless you have a number on your hand
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    You gotta scheme if you want an Ed tambourine!
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore