'The Home Shows' X 'The Away Shows' Merch

Comments

• Time to move on from merch people.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    MedozK said:
    pjl44 said:
    VanEyck said:
    pjl44 said:
    We went to the merch stand yesterday around 4pm. Of course they were out of posters, etc., but one of the cashiers was talking about how they would take $100 to hold posters for people in the morning. I don't think she was kidding. I actually thought about taking her up on it. 
    Seriously? I would have snapped a pic and sent that up the chain. That's fucked up.
    I think Santos might want to know about that...
    If I overheard that, I'd snap a pic then go to a different stand and try to speak with a supervisor. Would also reach out to tsurt and email 10C (even though they don't oversee merch, they might be able to route it to someone in charge).

Might not get anywhere, but that's a real problem if it's happening. Worth a try to nip it in the bud.
    I would be shocked if there wasn't some back-dooring going on. People know how much the stuff is worth on the secondary market.
    Totally agree. All the more reason to do something about it if you actually catch someone. 
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    JP218404 said:
    Clearly there is sneaky shit going on in Boston. No way they sell everything out in 20 minutes 
    One of PJ's head merch people was in the area, I asked him if that sounded right and he said he wasn't surprised and given the supply, it didn't sound like anyone broke the rules.  The chick offering to hold posters for $100, if that happened, that is clearly f'd up and should be reported, but at least in our line there was a guy actually patrolling the front of the line and making sure nothing looked off and no random people "happened to walk by the front" and jump in.
    JH6056 said:
    JP218404 said:
    Clearly there is sneaky shit going on in Boston. No way they sell everything out in 20 minutes 
    One of PJ's head merch people was in the area, I asked him if that sounded right and he said he wasn't surprised and given the supply, it didn't sound like anyone broke the rules.  The chick offering to hold posters for $100, if that happened, that is clearly f'd up and should be reported, but at least in our line there was a guy actually patrolling the front of the line and making sure nothing looked off and no random people "happened to walk by the front" and jump in.
    That's encouraging to hear. Wouldn't surprise me if they adjusted allocations to stock more inside the venue after Seattle and Chicago. Also wouldn't surprise me if there is lower inventory based on 2016. Who knows, really.
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    If anyone ends up with a medium Dead Batter shirt and or hat hit me up! Missed out in Seattle. :-/
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • hadfiiwhadfiiw Posts: 188
    mwplum said:
    I got in line at 6:45am, stand 2, by the time I got to front 9:30ish, they were sold out of Mumford. Was able to get the others. I walked over to stands 2 and 3 (each which had massive lines) and heard sold out at both as well. When I walked past #2, on way back to hotel, they were sold out of ALL posters!!! THIS WAS 9:45ish. I waited there for about 5 mins and they got a re-stock of all but Mumford. There was a guy who waited 2 hours who literally just completed his transaction (gettting no posters) about 30 seconds before the restock, and they wouldn’t sell to him. Felt horrible for the guy.

Good to hear they are restocking today.    
    - ian | www.lukin.com

96 - Charlotte / Charleston
    98 - Atlanta
    00 - Charlotte / Greensboro / Atlanta
    03 - Raleigh / Charlotte / Mountain View / San Diego / Bristow
    04 - Asheville
    05 - Philadelphia
    06 - Washington, DC / Las Vegas / San Diego
    08 - Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    09 - Philadelphia (28th)
    11 - East Troy (3rd) / East Troy (4th)
    13 - Charlottesville / Charlotte
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Boston (5th)
    18 - Boston (2nd) / Boston (4th)
    20 - NashvilleBaltimore
    22 - Nashville / Baltimore

• VanEyckVanEyck Posts: 171
    pjl44 said:
    VanEyck said:
    pjl44 said:
    We went to the merch stand yesterday around 4pm. Of course they were out of posters, etc., but one of the cashiers was talking about how they would take $100 to hold posters for people in the morning. I don't think she was kidding. I actually thought about taking her up on it. 
    Seriously? I would have snapped a pic and sent that up the chain. That's fucked up.
    I think Santos might want to know about that...
    If I overheard that, I'd snap a pic then go to a different stand and try to speak with a supervisor. Would also reach out to tsurt and email 10C (even though they don't oversee merch, they might be able to route it to someone in charge).

Might not get anywhere, but that's a real problem if it's happening. Worth a try to nip it in the bud.
    I guarantee Santos is there onsite...
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    JH6056 said:
    mwplum said:
    I got in line at 6:45am, stand 2, by the time I got to front 9:30ish, they were sold out of Mumford. Was able to get the others. I walked over to stands 2 and 3 (each which had massive lines) and heard sold out at both as well. When I walked past #2, on way back to hotel, they were sold out of ALL posters!!! THIS WAS 9:45ish. I waited there for about 5 mins and they got a re-stock of all but Mumford. There was a guy who waited 2 hours who literally just completed his transaction (gettting no posters) about 30 seconds before the restock, and they wouldn’t sell to him. Felt horrible for the guy.
    That the guy completed his transaction 30 seconds before the restock and they wouldn't sell to him is CRIMINAL!!  Why should someone who waited less time than him get posters he couldn't get when he's still at the stand?  That is SUCH a bummer!
    That’s so fucked up. Someone still in the line should have helped him out.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • VanEyckVanEyck Posts: 171
    If it makes anyone feel better the 4 leftover Fenway 2016 posters are still in the shop and now marked down to $24.50... Sometimes the only way to be sure to win is by betting on every horse. But it'll cost you a fortune. (I'm not sure if that analogy works or not). 
  • This all has just saved me some time of not even worrying about waiting in line outside. I can't believe how much worse it is than the other stops this tour. Hope there is something inside on Tuesday and if not, oh well.
    edited September 2018
    JH6056 said:
    mwplum said:
    That the guy completed his transaction 30 seconds before the restock and they wouldn't sell to him is CRIMINAL!!  Why should someone who waited less time than him get posters he couldn't get when he's still at the stand?  That is SUCH a bummer!
    That’s so fucked up. Someone still in the line should have helped him out.
    That's exactly what I would have done if I'd been there at that moment!

That or asked for a supervisor and tried to ask them to sell to the guy.
  • They really just need to get rid of the external stands...
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Wrigley 2013 brought the insanity.
  • DrdealDrdeal Posts: 693
    No merch for me this time in Boston. Driving up on Tues morning from NJ.  No interest in the merch sh*tshow. Just the music works for me this time around. 
    edited September 2018
    They really just need to get rid of the external stands...
    Hell naw. I drove down Friday afternoon - light traffic, parked easily, no lines. Got everything I wanted minus posters. And I don't need to deal with it on the day of the show. It was glorious.
    I gotta say, when the Boston poster images were first shared, I didn't get the Wicked Witch one at all.  But seeing them in person, it's probably my 3rd fave now, where it was my last before.  It's a really nice poster.  Still not feeling the rider with the lightning bolt, but the green monster/baseball godzilla is growing on me too.  
    pjl44 said:
    Hell naw. I drove down Friday afternoon - light traffic, parked easily, no lines. Got everything I wanted minus posters. And I don't need to deal with it on the day of the show. It was glorious.
    Me too, of course I hoped to do ALL my shopping yesterday, but getting almost everything on the list except posters was nice.

Except one friend who has tix but can't be at the show asked for wristbands, and those were sold out yesterday and not re-stocked today.  Had no idea wristbands sold like that... unless the only had 10 at each booth to start with?
  • pjl44 said:
    I went yesterday morning and it was easy, doesn't mean it's a good idea. They were doing outside stands in Europe too and it just limits the number they can sell inside. This was the first year I've ever had a problem getting PJ merch (other than Wrigley 2013) and it's because of the outdoor stands
    edited September 2018
    But only selling inside means fans that got locked out of the lottery and public onsale can't even buy merch... that seems unfair.  And the way people are still looking for tix for tonight, it is pretty clear that the average person with average income and average adult responsibilities could easily be totally locked out of shows like tonight and Seattle 2 where tix really were hard to get.  And I know a lot of people who couldn't take Tuesday off or other reasons they can't go Tuesday, so even though there are a lot of tix for Tues floating around, some people got totally shut out of Boston.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • I'm not sure how only people going to the shows having access to merch is a bad thing... That's how it's always been
    JH6056 said:
    But only selling inside means fans that got locked out of the lottery and public onsale can't even buy merch... that seems unfair.  And the way people are still looking for tix for tonight, it is pretty clear that the average person with average income and average adult responsibilities could easily be totally locked out of shows like tonight and Seattle 2 where tix really were hard to get.  And I know a lot of people who couldn't take Tuesday off or other reasons they can't go Tuesday, so even though there are a lot of tix for Tues floating around, some people got totally shut out of Boston.
    Outside stands open it up to everyone and their mother (literally) to line up every day and buy all the merch for their eBay shops. I think that’s a lot worse than locking out the few local fans who couldn’t find tickets. 

Who is getting merch and not going to the shows under these seemingly specific circumstances? Why should merch be prioritized for ppl who aren’t even going to the show?
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    Now that we're used to having option outside too, I think it's a good option.  But I'm lucky, I'll usually be able to buy wherever it's sold, so I'm not going to be out of luck if it does go back to only sold inside the venue.  I just know many serious fans who would be shut out.  Just thinking of them.

In the end, it is what it is, and it is material merch, and life goes on whether one gets it or not.  I still can't believe I got up at the crack of butt to buy merch, never done that before, not sure it'll ever happen again, but I did meet nice people and it actually was enjoyable aside from a few frustrations (including  me not getting 2 things I wanted after waiting all that time).
    pjl44 said:
    I went yesterday morning and it was easy, doesn't mean it's a good idea. They were doing outside stands in Europe too and it just limits the number they can sell inside. This was the first year I've ever had a problem getting PJ merch (other than Wrigley 2013) and it's because of the outdoor stands
    The first show I had a hard time getting a poster was MSG in '03. I've had difficulty getting show-specific stuff quite a few times since. I think the largest variable is demand increasing and that the outside booths at such large shows help spread it out. At this point I don't think any system will allow for people easily getting every item they want.
  • Redrumh2oRedrumh2o Boston, MA Posts: 290
    Is tomorrow going to be ridiculous for the setlist shirts? I don't want to waste hours of my time if they are sold out before I get in. They usually don't make too many....correct?
  • ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,010
    Being there at 5:00 a.m. yesterday morning doesn't sound like a bad idea at all anymore
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
  • wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,299
    Wrigley 2013 brought the insanity.
    That was bad. For me, I felt the burn at PJ20.  I looked at the merch line and went straight to the booze line instead. 
    Redrumh2o said:
    Is tomorrow going to be ridiculous for the setlist shirts? I don't want to waste hours of my time if they are sold out before I get in. They usually don't make too many....correct?
    One of the sales girls at booth 1 told me yest there wouldn’t be any setlist shirts for sale Monday morning, that both would be available Wednesday morning. But she could be wrong.
  • Redrumh2oRedrumh2o Boston, MA Posts: 290
    edited September 2018
    LOL.....well if that is true a lot of people are going to be a lot of angry ppl tomorrow morning. Too bad most people will be back to work or traveling on Wednesday
    Post edited by Redrumh2o on
  • DarthOverlordDarthOverlord Posts: 64
    edited September 2018
    I will be at the show today.  My friend is meeting me with my Klausen Seattle ticket poster (of which I now have two, long story). If anyone wants to swap a Whalen Fenway for it, I can meet up before the show. 
    Post edited by DarthOverlord on
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    I stood in line 1 morning in Seattle, and 1 morning in Chicago. I also went back to a tent once with literally no wait, trying to score a kiddie shirt for my friend's son.

I've also questioned the sense and sanity of everything; waiting for hours just to pick up a few souvenirs. I'm not sure why we're willing to endure snake lines and hot asphalt. Or why some do it more than once. 

That being said, I met some really nice people during those long waits. I have no idea as to each person's intentions for what they were buying, but I can tell you that they were genuine fans. People talking about the music, past shows, upcoming shows, etc. People were sharing water, donuts, and extra coffees with others in line. Strangers holding spots for one another during bathroom breaks. What I saw was people taking care of each other. 

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who made me glad that I waited in line. It can be frustrating to see the last poster disappear right in front of you, or to see someone leaving with shirts of every possible size. It would be a lot less bearable, if not for the kindness, sharing, and pleasant conversation. Thanks everybody!