Options

Seattle Boat/Ferry Rides

Anyone have any good recommendations for this? Sounds like these are highly recommended. First time in Seattle. Preferably looking for one that’s fun and wouldn’t take up a whole day. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    I did Argosy years ago and learned a lot on it.  I would recommend them.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited July 2018
    I guess I'll ask here: Does anyone know if there is any way to ferry from Bellevue to Seattle?? It seems like this would be a given, but I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer via Google. One would think there would at least be some ferry taxis beck and forth between Seattle and Bellevue... if not, that's dumb! I'm going down for a conference in a couple months, and unfortunately the conference is at the Hyatt in Bellevue, so I'm staying there because of the conference discount. Obviously I want a nice way to travel to and from Seattle while I'm there, and a ferry is so much better than a bus.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:
    I guess I'll ask here: Does anyone know if there is any way to ferry from Bellevue to Seattle?? It seems like this would be a given, but I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer via Google. One would think there would at least be some ferry taxis beck and forth between Seattle and Bellevue... if not, that's dumb! I'm going down for a conference in a couple months, and unfortunately the conference is the Hyatt in Bellevue, so I'm staying there because of the conference discount. Obviously I want a nice way to travel to and from Seattle while I'm there. The bus just isn't my idea of a great way to get around... I'm spoiled by the Skytrain and ferry taxis where I live I guess.
    Unfortunately, no ferry service across Lake Washington since the 1940's or 1950's. They existed before the bridges were built. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I guess I'll ask here: Does anyone know if there is any way to ferry from Bellevue to Seattle?? It seems like this would be a given, but I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer via Google. One would think there would at least be some ferry taxis beck and forth between Seattle and Bellevue... if not, that's dumb! I'm going down for a conference in a couple months, and unfortunately the conference is the Hyatt in Bellevue, so I'm staying there because of the conference discount. Obviously I want a nice way to travel to and from Seattle while I'm there. The bus just isn't my idea of a great way to get around... I'm spoiled by the Skytrain and ferry taxis where I live I guess.
    Unfortunately, no ferry service across Lake Washington since the 1940's or 1950's. They existed before the bridges were built. 
    Booooo!
    Thanks for the answer. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Seems like Bainbridge Island or Bremerton from what I’ve read. What does everyone think?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
    I've been on most of them, love them all.  Coupeville to Port Townsend is great plus spending time in Port Townsend is always awesome- one of my favorite towns in WA.  Seattle to Bainbridge is a good one and Bainbridge Island is nice. The ferries to San Juan Islands are marvelous but, sadly not advised in the summer season.  WAY too crowded and you can get stuck out there overnight  (but there are waorse places to be stuck, for sure!)  :frown:  If you end up on the Olympic Penninsula, Port Angeles to Victoria is first rate but you need a passport and you'll want to queue up for the ride in the early AM.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I've been on most of them, love them all.  Coupeville to Port Townsend is great plus spending time in Port Townsend is always awesome- one of my favorite towns in WA.  Seattle to Bainbridge is a good one and Bainbridge Island is nice. The ferries to San Juan Islands are marvelous but, sadly not advised in the summer season.  WAY too crowded and you can get stuck out there overnight  (but there are waorse places to be stuck, for sure!)  :frown:  If you end up on the Olympic Penninsula, Port Angeles to Victoria is first rate but you need a passport and you'll want to queue up for the ride in the early AM.

Thank you. That is some great info. Do the boats leave on a pretty regular basis from Bainbridge back to Seattle? Or is it one of those deals where you are stuck there for a few hours?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
    edited August 2018
    brianlux said:

Thank you. That is some great info. Do the boats leave on a pretty regular basis from Bainbridge back to Seattle? Or is it one of those deals where you are stuck there for a few hours?
    It's been a while since I've taken the ferries but when I have, they run on a pretty tight schedule and that particular one runs fairly often.  I would try to pick up a ferry schedule (they're pretty easy to find) and because it's summer, get to the the loading area early if possible.  Have a great time and enjoy the Puget Sound!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Here are the ferry schedules and rates:
    https://www.wsdot.com/ferries/schedule/scheduledetailbyroute.aspx?route=sea-bi
    Depending on the route, they run regularly. If you only want to take the ferry, and aren't actually going somewhere to explore, consider leaving your car and just walking on. At just about every ferry terminal there are bars or restaurants or shops within walking distance. So you could just walk on, take the ride, get off and have lunch or a drink or walk around, and then walk back on. Walk-on passengers don't have to wait in hours long lines like cars do. And it is much less expensive to just walk on.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    "At just about every ferry terminal there are bars or restaurants or shops within walking distance"
    thanks for that

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I rode from Bremerton to Seattle this weekend. Only about an hour ride though.
    #FHP