Options

Best PJ Album...

Driftin'AlongDriftin'Along Posts: 1,403
From beginning to end, what is the best Pearl Jam album and why?

My personal favorite is No Code because of the mixture of sounds and experimentation that can be heard. One of the most beautiful songs on the album is Around the Bend. But the album still has the rock songs like Hail, Hail and Lukin.
"Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Vitalogy is the best overall in my opinion, and it's my favorite.

In terms of lyrics, Yield is the best, in terms of compostion, it's No Code. Riot Act is their most mature, I think.
    What's this? What's this? What's this?
    Hot! Hot! Hot! Hot! Hot!

The ocean, use of electricity, baby earth chicken soup! Bamboo grass?
    For the pair of us is an evening and a broken reputation!
  • Options
    No Code is by far the bands greatest acomplishment.

If you think back to the time of its release, just how much grunge had fallen. Kurt was dead, grunge was on a free fall.

The band lost many a fan with the release of Vitalogy, which in truth is an awakard album released at an awkward time.

To be able to come back with such an ambitious record as No Code was a truly brilliant achievment.

No Code to me symbalised everything about the band, in full No Code = No Rules.

From the spiritual Sometimes,In My Tree and Present Tense to the Neil Young influenced Smile,Red Mosquito. And the punk rock of Lukin,Habit. No Code had it all.

The band refused to buck in to the latest MTV craze, they simply produced a eastern tinged, spiritualized mellow album full of surprises.

The band had matured and have carried on creating awsome music that does'nt fit in with any trends. This album has allowed them to create music that they want to create that there select supportive fanbase will cherish!

No Code is a thrilling album which is sadly underated!
    Somtimes i know, sometimes i rise,sometimes i fall,sometimes i dont,sometimes i cringe,somtimes i live sometimes i walk,sometimes i kneel,somtimes i speek of nothing at all,sometimes i reach to myself dear god

official redmosquito#3
  • Options
    no code is a fine album and is often over looked(more fool them)
    and to try and say which is the best album over all is no mean task, but i would have to highlight VS as my personnal favorite as it has two of my all time favorite songs on

rearviewmirror and elderly woman

cant agree more with the above post though no code comes a very close second as do all there albums
    twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. no question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. the creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but alredy it was impossible to say which was which
    george orwell
  • Options
    {[No_Code}]{[No_Code}] Posts: 4,059
    No Code

because is THE pj album... the change of all the things...

the evolution
    So that is how I learned the lesson that everyone is alone. And your eyes must do some raining if you are ever going to grow. But when crying don't help and you can't compose yourself. It is best to compose a poem, an honest longing or simple song of hope.
    That is why I'm singing
  • Options
    Vitalogy is my favourite... It's a real kick and Eddies voice is lovely here ...and right now I listened to this album ...
  • Options
    rucchinrucchin Posts: 25
    i agree, vitalogy is my fav. It's a very moody and angry album. I feel its the closest pearl jam has gotten to a concept album.
  • Options
    ved_zepved_zep Posts: 50
    Vitalogy! in terms of lyrics, composition, music, its unbelievable. closely followed by 10.....
    I might get abused for this but i find yield a little overrated, considering how many people consider it there fav album. I luv it and all... but it doesn't have the lastability of the others, which i could listen to day in day out
    -|
    |
    |
    |
    -|
    |
    |
    |
    -|
    0-|-2
    2-2-2-|-2
    0-|
    -|
    0---|-2----0h7h9---7vvv--2-2-2-|-2----0h7h9--7-9b10r9-7-0-|
    -|-10\
    |-0-/7
    0-0-0-|-0-/7
    |
    -|
    |
    |
    |

• Options
    parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Definitely Yield!!
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    Yield is the best album. it has the best compilation of songs as a whole. brain of j. , faithful, no way , given to fly , wishlist , pilate, do the evolution are the best 7 in a row by FAR then you got songs like MFC , low light, in hiding, and all those yesterdays which are some of my favs from any album. i also think binaural is underrated and all the albums rock, but yield can't be beat.
    7/11/03 - best show ever

I did what i had to do
    And if there was a reason, it was you.
  • Options
    rulokamrulokam Posts: 6
    i hope those who think No Code is best PJ's album is because they haven´t heard any earlier album
  • Options
    to say that just because no code is your favorite album and suggest that people need to listen to earlier albums is wrong!

at the moment VS is my personal fav but that can change from one day to the next

no code is a wonderful album and is a delightful progression on from vitolgy showing both a learning curve and maturity that the band needed so as to not stagnate in the post grunge crap that was emeging from the seattlle scene at that time

nothing else needs to be said ROCK ON !!!!!!!!
    twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. no question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. the creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but alredy it was impossible to say which was which
    george orwell
  • Options
    pj strength survived along 3 albums, the rest has been turning good ideas into songs.
    by the way, my favourite is vs.,
    I only said that it was a pity choosing that one because you dont even know what came before
  • Options
    why choosing that one would that mean you did not know what came before

as to suggest that later albums are just progressions from singular songs seems a little odd i dont know what you mean. each album has its strenths and weakness's including "10" and "riot act" both can be recieved in different ways and if riot act was a first album it would be hailed as a work of genius but unfortunatly people are to easy to judge it by previous work of the band

pearl jam go from strenth to strenth each album a extention of the last whilst at the same time developing and moving with the times
    george orwell
  • Options
    boy, im not talking bout what you fell bout them. i dont mind about it, im only talking about what they make me feel. feeling things like those with ten, vs, vitalogy it will never come back to me. For me they have lost their strength, not their quality. PJ was born in grunge, dont ever forget, and for me they died when grunge did. Evolution does not always mean improvement. For god sake compare rearviewmirror or black with any fucking new song and say they have evolved. If that's evolution then i rather beee with...
  • Options
    of course they have evolved im not saying that you should not have your personnal favorites, rearviewmirror is mine as well but i can appriciate where they have come from earlier albums, songs such as rats, smile, do the evelotion, soon forget, i am mine, light years and brain of j to name a but a few have all come from later albums and show how far the band have come. both music wise and lyrically

i know grunge was supposed to have died many years ago but as long as we keep those ideals close to our heart it can never die, dont lose faith with pearl jam, invest the time to listen to later albums and you will be rewarded tenfold
    george orwell
  • Options
    my friend, what upsets me is that there are a lot of groups like nickelback which are following grunge music, making it evolve, while the best grunge band ever turns that kind of music down. and iven't even recalled eddie's voice change after the years, maybe because so much strengh broke his soul. never better slow songs as nothingman or black or better man, never better hard rock songs as go, animal, rearviewmirror. never better hyms as alive, even flow, once...never will again...
  • Options
    nickleback dont even compare they sold out before they even recorded a demo track

other than that they are a totally different style of band catering for a more easy to please market who will happily suck up everything they are told is "cool"
    george orwell
  • Options
    This is an impossible question but I can answer it by asking myself this , Which album can I listen to without fast forwarding? i.e which album has all songs I love immensly? the answer is two actually. they are yield and no code.
    And we're all allowed to dream of the next time we touch.
  • Options
    artjamartjam Posts: 227
    Yield the best album by any band ever recorded
  • Options
    firasfiras Posts: 34
    It's vitolgy guys it's vitolgy ...
    it was the first i heard and it stole my ears forever...
    abragadabra milk life...
    we love you.
  • Options
    All of them! I mean they have never had a bad album. Besides Pearl Jam kicks ass!
  • Options
    TEN! it is the absolutly most impressing album of all!! you can hear it through all the other albums....
    such intensiv feelings, raw and natural played, i´ve never have heard something like that in one of the other albums

so what??
    a compliment for us, is a compliment for you
  • Options
    {[No_Code}]{[No_Code}] Posts: 4,059
    <
    So that is how I learned the lesson that everyone is alone. And your eyes must do some raining if you are ever going to grow. But when crying don't help and you can't compose yourself. It is best to compose a poem, an honest longing or simple song of hope.
    That is why I'm singing
  • Options
    StarbabyStarbaby Posts: 9
    I love them all but I would have to say.....Ten...I just always loved that cd!!!
  • Options
    LanfearLanfear Posts: 33
    Vs
    Dear God, save me from your followers

Avocados have a big Stone
  • Options
    ecopeecope Posts: 89
    Yield. It's my medicine.