Options

An Idea For Request Threads Going Forward...

PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
edited July 2018 in The Porch
After seeing the TONS of awesome requests people have for The Home X Away Shows, I really think that there could be a better system for this.

Instead of a ton of threads flying around, wouldn't it be better if there was a Request Round Up thread for each upcoming show (Similar to what was attempted for London 2, but would be pinned as an announcement and more easily visible)? Then, inside of it the comments will include nothing but any requests and background info for the requests. It would be organized in a way very similar to @Sea 's Fanviews. 

As a result, it would be far easier for both users and most importantly the band to see all of the requests each show has to offer.

What do you guys think? Is there a way to make this happen?
"Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
: Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
Post edited by PJWGIII on

Comments

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    I agree. Let's use this thread.

Please play Release in Seattle!!!

(Sorry... couldn't resist.)
  • Options
    ruthlessgringoruthlessgringo South Carolina Posts: 60
    edited July 2018
    I have a Fenway thread for requests. "Official/unofficial: Fenway "please play" "wish" -list. I hope to make a list closer to the show of the more popular choices to actually present to the mods or whoever looks at the posts for the band .I like the organization and the nice convo it creates. 
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    They are kind of out of control.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    The only sticky/pinned thread should be the “please don’t make request threads” thread.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    My idea is to delete them and ban repeat offenders. 
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    know1 said:
    My grandmother is a repeat offender please play Release
  • Options
    Bump.

: Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:

• Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    know1 said:
    My grandmother is a repeat offender please play Release
    This gave me the giggles. Thanks!
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    You may find them cumbersome, but it’s hard to underscore how important they can be for some members who are going through a rough time. The purpose of this community (beyond the content) is to support each other, and frankly I don’t have an issue with the way it’s being done now. It gives the OP an oppprtunity to engage with other members in a way that a standard request list doesn’t. Speaking from experience, I found the support received from members was just as significant as the band’s recognition. I realize there’s a fine line as there are some threads like “please play leash for my dog who has the flu” but when you take step back, most of these requests come from a good place and are posted by people in need of support. For me personally, I would have never called a self-help line as I didn’t think it was necessary. However, in hindsight, the comments of people here really acted like a surrogate for that type of support/advice that I wouldn’t have otherwise received. Anyways, that’s just my two cents.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,196
    edited July 2018
    we live in a 'look-at-me' world these days and those types of threads are just another example of it.  hey look at me my story is special so please play a song for me.  yea because only certain people deal with sickness and death in their lives. requesting a song from the band is selfish in my opinion. just my thoughts.  ok rant over...
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    You know what else seems selfish and "look at me"? Is people judging and talking shit about fans just trying to interact with their favorite band. PJ has this community up for a reason. It's a community. And with a band like Pearl Jam that has more personal hits for fans then anything they've released on the radio.....people are gonna feel the need to request songs. Some of the most fun threads on here are the dream setlist threads. Now are they excessive, yes? But how many posts are in the first two pages about mobile tickets or ticket sales or from some post in 2013. I'm just happy to see so many passionate PJ fans almost 30 years into their existence and at least none of the requests are for Corduroy or Jeremy. 
  • Options
    You know what else seems selfish and "look at me"? Is people judging and talking shit about fans just trying to interact with their favorite band. PJ has this community up for a reason. It's a community. And with a band like Pearl Jam that has more personal hits for fans then anything they've released on the radio.....people are gonna feel the need to request songs. Some of the most fun threads on here are the dream setlist threads. Now are they excessive, yes? But how many posts are in the first two pages about mobile tickets or ticket sales or from some post in 2013. I'm just happy to see so many passionate PJ fans almost 30 years into their existence and at least none of the requests are for Corduroy or Jeremy. 
    oh the irony
  • Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    Getaway for Bob...just saying!  #Wrigley2018N2
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539

There are a lot of request threads but if it makes people feel better to share and get that song that helps them work through grief or happiness (whatever the reason), than fine with me. 

I was just thinking the other day.  I found out the day of a Pearl Jam show twice while traveling for the shows that a grandparent had passed away.  Both shows they played Man of the Hour.  Totally crazy coincidence. 

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    oh the irony
    Or maybe just a bit of sarcasm. Or also showing a bit of open mindness and would understand your complaint if threads popped up requesting very popular songs that will most likely be played. Simple fact is, that was a very inconsiderate post you made earlier. Maybe they don't want people to look at them, maybe fans want to hear a song their wife sang so beautifully and when PJ plays it, they can hear there wife sing it to them, or their kid, or any other relative. Just be happy PJ has the fans they have or maybe we wouldn't be seeing them play at all. My two cents. Rant over. 
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    pjhawks said:
    we live in a 'look-at-me' world these days and those types of threads are just another example of it.  hey look at me my story is special so please play a song for me.  yea because only certain people deal with sickness and death in their lives. requesting a song from the band is selfish in my opinion. just my thoughts.  ok rant over...
    I tend to agree with you here that with social media so embedded in our daily lives that it is a very "look at me" type of world and realistically there is just no way the band can honor every request unless they did a special type of requests only show. Honestly, I'd just rather hear what the band wants to play since this is their show with maybe one super special request honored. In the end, I agree with the other poster that stated that these songs requests are probably more about release and community interaction that can help them get through a tough time and I see no harm in that.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    pjhawks said:
    oh the irony
    Or maybe just a bit of sarcasm. Or also showing a bit of open mindness and would understand your complaint if threads popped up requesting very popular songs that will most likely be played. Simple fact is, that was a very inconsiderate post you made earlier. Maybe they don't want people to look at them, maybe fans want to hear a song their wife sang so beautifully and when PJ plays it, they can hear there wife sing it to them, or their kid, or any other relative. Just be happy PJ has the fans they have or maybe we wouldn't be seeing them play at all. My two cents. Rant over. 
    This is spot on. For me personally, when the band played I’ve got a Feeling at Fenway, I didn’t post shit on social media or seek attention. It was a matter of personal significance that affected me and helped me out of a time where, inadvertently or not, I was killing myself with grief and alcohol. Now 1.5 years sober and a first time father, I look forward to sharing that dedication with my son when he grows up and asks about the grandfather he never got to meet. If that helped others, or people got some enjoyment out of hearing that song live for the first time in 14 years, then even better. But the support I received though posts on the thread and in PMs from total strangers who took time out of their lives to write had a profound impact on me, and really dragged me out of a dark place. It’s true that we all suffer from death in our lives. No one’s is saying that they are special because of it. But how neat is it, that this band, after all these years, truly cares about the well being of its fans, that it goes to lengths to honour these. I can’t think of another band that would do something like that, or a community as unique and supportive as this one. It’s something we should all feel proud to be a part of, in that we hold each other up (as opposed to attacking people for reaching out).
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    pjhawks said:
    Hmm, whilst I totally get where you are coming from, and the thread titles are becoming more distressing/ extreme, I don't think everyone is doing it just for the look at me value.  I campaigned a bit on here for the band to play Breath at the London show a couple of weeks ago.  It was a fairly lighthearted thread I started, and my reason for doing so was just because it was my holy grail since they hadn't played it over in the UK since '92.  I've seen them play pretty much every other song I've ever wanted to hear, but that one remained elusive, and to add insult in injury it was scratched from two of the setlists of shows I've been to.  So to hear them play it was just incredible.  And, I don't see how it would be selfish to ask for a request when the band delve deep into their back catalog every night anyway.  
  • Options
    gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    The OP isn’t suggesting people not make requests, just that there is one stickied thread for it.

I don’t care either way, and stop looking at me.
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    oh the irony
    your thoughts on my post are noted.  we differ in opinion and nothing wrong with that.  fact is if 40,000 people are going to a gig and you request/expect the band to play that song for you and to call you out by name before the song...well....my opinion it noted
  • Options
    The OP isn’t suggesting people not make requests, just that there is one stickied thread for it.

I don’t care either way, and stop looking at me.
    Thank you, gosh. I don't know why people are acting like I'm being negative here. I tried to make it as clear as possible that I love the requests. I just think that if there was one stickied thread for it, it would be easier for both fans to make and the band to read requests.

EV:

• Options

mwplum said:
    You may find them cumbersome, but it’s hard to underscore how important they can be for some members who are going through a rough time. The purpose of this community (beyond the content) is to support each other, and frankly I don’t have an issue with the way it’s being done now. It gives the OP an oppprtunity to engage with other members in a way that a standard request list doesn’t. Speaking from experience, I found the support received from members was just as significant as the band’s recognition. I realize there’s a fine line as there are some threads like “please play leash for my dog who has the flu” but when you take step back, most of these requests come from a good place and are posted by people in need of support. For me personally, I would have never called a self-help line as I didn’t think it was necessary. However, in hindsight, the comments of people here really acted like a surrogate for that type of support/advice that I wouldn’t have otherwise received. Anyways, that’s just my two cents.
    I don't find them cumbersome at all! I'm just thinking that these same posts can be made in a place more accessible to the people who read this community for the band to more often access and follow-up on those requests.

EV:

• Options
    BlackCircleBlackCircle Charlotte, NC Posts: 371
    Great idea... even though I am guilty.     :s
    I'm like a tab