Volcanic 50K

AKmattAKmatt Posts: 35
Shot in the dark, but is anyone else running this on 8/4 before the Home Shows? I am putting together the all PJ spotify playlist to get me (even more) amped for the shows, and get me up those steep climbs around Mt St Helens. According to my projected time, I need almost 9 hours on that playlist (almost 2 hours more than my usual times on ultras, so hopefully I'll have enough life in my phone). If anyone will be out there, I'd love to meet up, pre or post race. I plan on camping the night before.

Comments

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,986
    I'm intrigued by mountain ultras. I follow Sage Canaday on YouTube and Instagram, but swore I NEVER would consider a mountain ultra for myself. Then I saw the race photos and started thinking about moving to altitude to train.

So, no, I'm not running it, but I hope you'll come back and share a race recap when you're done. Good luck!
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    Uh no, training for a marathon while there and hiking Mt Rainer, right next door though.  Good luck!
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • AKmattAKmatt Posts: 35
    I ran the Portland Marathon back in 2014. It was my first and last road marathon, though I was disappointed in my time. I took to trail running and never looked back. Less concrete pounding on the feet and knees, much more nature. And I just don't care about my time on trail races, because they are all different. After the winners have already received their metals, I am crossing the finish line and limping to the beer kegs. If you are looking to get started with the trail races, there are some awesome 25Ks out there. Check out Rainshadow Running, based out of Seattle. They have some great ultra half-marathons (if that is even a thing), between 25-30K in distance around Washington and Oregon. Those races are nice introductions to the ultra world of running/hiking, and the post race parties are a lot of fun (wood fire pizza and beer local to the particular race). I ran Orcas Island 25K in the snow in January 2016 as my first race with them, and have done Gorge Waterfalls 50K, Beacon Rock 50K, Oregon Coast 30K, and Deception Pass 25K since. Gorge Waterfalls and Beacon will constantly be on my run list going forward, since they are in my backyard (I live in the Columbia River Gorge, though I created my forum name when I lived in Anchorage, AK). I am still thinking real hard about signing up for the 50 miler on the Southern Oregon Coast in October. I'll be happy to write up a quick report between recovering and getting ready for the Wednesday show. 

If you are marathon training up in Seattle, check out the Burke-Gilman trail. It goes forever and you can jump on or off in Ballard.
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    AKmatt said:
    I ran the Portland Marathon back in 2014. It was my first and last road marathon, though I was disappointed in my time. I took to trail running and never looked back. Less concrete pounding on the feet and knees, much more nature. And I just don't care about my time on trail races, because they are all different. After the winners have already received their metals, I am crossing the finish line and limping to the beer kegs. If you are looking to get started with the trail races, there are some awesome 25Ks out there. Check out Rainshadow Running, based out of Seattle. They have some great ultra half-marathons (if that is even a thing), between 25-30K in distance around Washington and Oregon. Those races are nice introductions to the ultra world of running/hiking, and the post race parties are a lot of fun (wood fire pizza and beer local to the particular race). I ran Orcas Island 25K in the snow in January 2016 as my first race with them, and have done Gorge Waterfalls 50K, Beacon Rock 50K, Oregon Coast 30K, and Deception Pass 25K since. Gorge Waterfalls and Beacon will constantly be on my run list going forward, since they are in my backyard (I live in the Columbia River Gorge, though I created my forum name when I lived in Anchorage, AK). I am still thinking real hard about signing up for the 50 miler on the Southern Oregon Coast in October. I'll be happy to write up a quick report between recovering and getting ready for the Wednesday show. 

If you are marathon training up in Seattle, check out the Burke-Gilman trail. It goes forever and you can jump on or off in Ballard.
    cool!

We will be in Portland for a few days and will be hiking the waterfalls  on Sunday.  I just found a sunset half marathon that we will sign up fo with beer and BBQ at the end. Going to land at PDax and be running within 2 hours lol. Then we are hiking Mt Ranier in the way up to Seattle.

yes, I found the loop around the inlet that makes up Gilman trail so that is my plan for my long run in Seattle.  Glad I will pass the gas works in that run too, that was on my list.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • AKmattAKmatt Posts: 35
    AKmatt said:

cool!

We will be in Portland for a few days and will be hiking the waterfalls  on Sunday.  I just found a sunset half marathon that we will sign up fo with beer and BBQ at the end. Going to land at PDax and be running within 2 hours lol. Then we are hiking Mt Ranier in the way up to Seattle.

yes, I found the loop around the inlet that makes up Gilman trail so that is my plan for my long run in Seattle.  Glad I will pass the gas works in that run too, that was on my list.
    Heads up that some of the waterfall trails are closed due to an awful fire we had out here last year.  Multnomah Falls is open again, but Ainsworth is still closed, as well as Oneonta Gorge. You could get some viewpoint hikes in on either the Oregon or Washington side if it isn't too hot and you go a little further east. Hamilton Mtn is a great hike on the Washington side and has great views of Mt Adams. Mt. Hood National Forest has a nice viewpoint hike up Surveyors Ridge, and Tamanawas Falls is a nice waterfall hike, but that is a bit of a drive from Portland. Definitely check out Hood River, though.  It is only 30 mins East of Multnomah Falls, and in my highly biased opinion, a really cool little town. Pfriem and Double Mountain are both killing it and two of the best breweries in the NW.