Options

What's your favorite opener for a show?

moistmusicmoistmusic Posts: 3
Hi,
I would like to know which song you like most to open a show. For me, I would say Long Road and not far behind, Release.
What's your's.
I hope somaday you'll have a beautiful life, I hope you'll be a star in somebody else sky...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Can't Keep... or maybe Release!
    Don't let me know we're invisible
    Don't let me know we're invisible
    We could dance, dance, dance thru' the fire
    Dance, dance, dance thru' the fire
  • Options
    No doubt, Crazy Mary
  • Options
    Well having never seen them live myself but i have a mini disc of live shows and i own the live on 2 legs album

its gotta be

Corduroy
    "so if i can shoot rabbits then i can shoot fascists"

www.freewebs.com/ofwalkingabortion

www.faceparty.com/manicben
  • Options
    ive heard all bootlegs from this tour......and all the openers are good.

however ive got to with either oceans or release...the two sentimental ten favorites do the trick everytime. Maybe it's because both are so rare and you feel so fortunate to hear them live.

Long Road also gets honorable mention....so amazing.

Of a girl, can't keep are both great...but not nearly as powerful in the opening slot. (For example, i thought of a girl was better in the 2nd slot of the acoustic set at boston)

I cant really consider songs like dont go, crazy mary etc becaue they are really not played on a regular basis first. Also, i believe the contrast between a softer first song and the kick ass second is a truley great aspect to Pearl Jam live.
    "I'm making music for music's sake, and I have an audience I'm proud of." -EV

• Options
    Throw Your Arms Around Me or Crazy Mary. He didn't write either one, oddly enough.
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    Of all the bootlegs I've heard, probably Release. It's such a powerful song. The one time I saw them live, they started out with Sometimes. Personally, I didn't think that was a great one to start with. I guess cause it's not one of my favorites.
    There was a whole inside his soul a manicure couldn't fill. So he found himself a whore to love while daisies choked in the windowsill. *JK*
  • Options
    Long Road or Of the girl
    Drunken Butterfly
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    I love either Release to open a show or Of the Girl. Both are sorta mellow and a nice way to ease into a show. Release seems to have these moments built into the song where Ed isn't singing which is perfect for the entire place just to go nuts after waiting so long to see and hear the best band on the face of the earth to take the stage.

Also Release was the first song I ever seen performed so I have to say that would be my fav.

The curveball they threw me in 2000 here in Detroit was the opener Go. That was pretty cool when you're expecting Release, or Long Road and they come out rockin' to Go.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    KaddikatKaddikat Posts: 1,194
    i like it nice fast and kick ass... :D:D:D

gimme GO!!!

aka the VEGA$$$ 2003 show.. the hands down ass kicker, im stumbling away like a punk ass with 2 black eyes cuz i got my ass kicked show. lol
    **Get outa my way, just step aside, or pay the price ~ AC/DC**

You make me feel uncalm and I think I like it - 311

JEFF ROX MY SOX!

"Jeff is just a badass all the way across the board" ~aNiMaL~

"Chill out Kaddikat"
  • Options
    Long Road
    Release is up there too though.

I REALLY wanna hear Oceans though.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    Sometimes and Breakerfall are my favorites I suppose but it's PJ so whatever they want. Love Boat Captain was pretty good. I think Light Years would be a good opener.
  • Options
    {[No_Code}]{[No_Code}] Posts: 4,059
    i just listened Holmdel show.. and i have to say that Wash is a great opener
    So that is how I learned the lesson that everyone is alone. And your eyes must do some raining if you are ever going to grow. But when crying don't help and you can't compose yourself. It is best to compose a poem, an honest longing or simple song of hope.
    That is why I'm singing
  • Options
    i like "sometimes" esp since it's not played very often
    Meg: Everybody! Guess what I am?
    Stewie: Hm, the end result of a drunken back-seat grope-fest and a broken prophylactic?
  • Options
    Long Road
  • Options
    Oceans or Can't Keep
  • Options
    so many good songs....so hard to choose....but id have to say if i could create the setlist for a show, id have to go with even flow, talk about a punch in the face to start off the show
    8.29.00-4.29.03-4.30.03-5.2.03-7.2.03-7.3.03-7.8.03-7.9.03-7.11.03-9.28.04-9.29.04-10.1.04- 10.2.04-10.3.04-5.12.06-5.24.06-5.25.06
    ...i know all the rules but the rules do not know me, guaranteed...
  • Options
    All are great, because the show is starting, but I say Release ........................or Long road
    for every tool they lend us......a loss of independence.

American Deaths
    Since war began (3/19/03): 2314

Lisa Simpson: "Principal Skinner all you are doing is stealing"
    Principal Skinner: "Welcome to Dick Cheneys' America, Lisa"
  • Options
    oh... i honestly don't know... they have so many great openers, but i think oceans is probably one of my favorite. it's such a calm, peaceful song, and it makes u hunger for more songs... i don't know, maybe it's just me! it's just that i already feel so connect to the sea, and this song is almost a translation of my feelings... i guess that's the thing we all have in common... all of us can relate in one way or another to a pj song, right? anyways... my two cents on the matter!
  • Options
    RELEASE....
    i've seen pearl jam play about five times...it was the opener for my very first pearl jam concert...and the last.

Favorite Closer:
    YELLOW LEDBETTER...
    ...the boxer or the bag...
    I still don't know....
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    Of The Girl or Can't Keep sounds good:D
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    katelliskatellis Posts: 513
    edited June 2015
    --
    Post edited by katellis on
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    love boat captain..............:)
  • Options
    mulacmulac Posts: 97
    release is perfect to open a show.

long road is the current favourite and cool too
    the passenger is life
  • Options
    ....a phenomenal opening tune that seems to have been overlooked.....CORDUROY....
    and while I'm on a Vitalogy kick I should mention a personal fav..
    ....NOT FOR YOU..... not used much but damnit it should.
    ...the boxer or the bag...
    I still don't know....
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Every band on earth should open its show with Cant Keep. It's the opening song among opening songs.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    Wash is a great opener and Long Road is too.They're my two favourites as openers.I'm dying to see Release though,one of my favourite songs but I've seen PJ 5 times and they never played it .....
  • Options
    TheSkyEtcTheSkyEtc Athens, GR Posts: 65
    Long Road
    ..definitely

Release
    .. great one

but above all

L A S T E X I T .
    A whisper through a megaphone
  • Options
    Cropduster. Only been done once as the opener, but I think its an astounding way to open a show.
  • Options
    of the girl