Billboard's Review of "Guaranteed" by Eddie Vedder

VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
edited February 2008 in The Porch
http://www.billboard.com

Guaranteed

EDDIE VEDDER

Some artists _ even those known for wailing over loud guitars _ can be as powerful with naked voice and an acoustic instrument. This second single from Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder's soundtrack to "Into the Wild" is, like Sean Penn's film, a spare meditation on wanderlust and seeking spirituality. Atop his melancholy guitar melody, the natural gravitas of Vedder's baritone focuses on lyrics infused with imagery common in his songwriting (roads, way-finding). He also gently recalls earlier Pearl Jam lines: "I ask silently that all my destinations will accept the one that's me," for example, links with "Can we help that our destinations are the ones we've been before?" from 2002's underrated "All or None." The Golden Globe Award-winning, Grammy Award-nominated "Guaranteed" may not have an Academy Award nod, but it is indeed a well-hewn match of musician, material and movie.
Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Finally.....a critic making some sense!

However...I didnt realize Ed stole his own lyric. It's all one song anyways!
    "How loud can silence get?"

http://www.myspace.com/cockeyedoptimus
  • "I ask silently that all my destinations will accept the one that's me"

"Can we help that our destinations are the ones we've been before?"

I don't get it. The only thing these lines have in common is the word "destination."
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • I don't get it. The only thing these lines have in common is the word "destination."

Agreed.. it seems like one is about acceptance and the other is about going down the same road again and again/fate.

At least thats how i read it. But I am a literary moron. Math n Science guy here. You show me a Haiku and I'll overheat.
  • I don't get it. The only thing these lines have in common is the word "destination."
    hey man, the critic knew the song all or none. how often does that happen. ill take it it. good review.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    nice. clearly a pj fan for him to be referencing all or none. i'll agree with this positive review. :)
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    and he said the underrated All or None too. Nice review.
  • The reviewer you're talking about is Jessica Letkemann. I have known her for years as an ardent PJ fan. I see her at every PJ-related event. She was front-row,center at Irving Plaza. She's also written about PJ for Spin.
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    manhattan wrote:
    The reviewer you're talking about is Jessica Letkemann. I have known her for years as an ardent PJ fan. I see her at every PJ-related event. She was front-row,center at Irving Plaza. She's also written about PJ for Spin.
    And she runs the great site Two Feet Thick along with John Reynolds and Kathy Davis.

http://www.twofeetthick.com/tft/mainMenu.action
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • thanks, y'all!

-Jessica ;)