Options

Yield / given to fly appreciation thread

Hello friends, I am for some reason really into Yield at the moment. It has hit me where it has never hit me before. I feel as though I am listening to it for the very first time.

For this reason I would love to hear interpretations of Given to fly from you all. Also... MFC, ! Where did this track spring from, Why have I never acknowledged it before ? I LOVE IT! Please tell me all that you know so that i can catch up. I know you wont let me down.
And we're all allowed to dream of the next time we touch.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    little_wishlittle_wish England, The North Posts: 532
    Well helloooooooooooo there!
    Much love for Yield and GTF indeed!
    I fuckin love this album, it's such a mood lifter!
    I think GTF is a message to everyone about the word we live in and how it affects people and we don't even notice it.

*First he was stripped and then he was stabbed by faceless men well fuckers, he still stands*

Kinda an obvious line but always hits me so hard. People can change in this world from bad experiences and others don't even notice... they just carry on as normal. I really think this song is a great message to people to appreciate the people around u and acknowledge every single thing about them, whether it be good or bad.

I know what u mean, it's like listening to it for the first time, such an incredible album and kicks my ass!

Some of their best songs IMO arr shared on Yield and Vitalogy. DTE, GTF, Wishlist.... all classics! Never change!
    20-04-2006 04-09-2006 05-09-2006 11-09-2006 16-09-2006 17-09-2006 18-06-2007 21-06-2007 26-06-2007 28-06-2007 17-08-2009 20-05-2010 21-05-2010

"The live shows? Well, that's church on Sundays"
  • Options
    imo given to fly is one of a few pearl jam songs that should have a video...
    em ot sselecirp si y c a v i r p
  • Options
    Great idea...*holds that thought with smile*
    And we're all allowed to dream of the next time we touch.
  • Options
    PJPATPJPAT Posts: 399
    GTF is the song that has turned my wife into a PJ freak! Well not freak that's me but a big fan.
    "All the money you make will never buy back your soul" Bob Dylan

"I need honesty, I need truth, and I need hope...I need it! That's what music means to me." EV
  • Options
    giventofly37giventofly37 Long Island Posts: 9
    Look at my username. I use that name EVERYWHERE and I have for years now. The first time I saw them live and they did GTF, I started crying. No, I'm serious :)
    "I am the first man to borrow Stone's underpants"
    ---
    7/9/03 NYC - 6/3/06 East Rutherford - 6/25/08 NYC - 10/30/09 Philadelphia - 10/31/09 (2nd row) Philadelphia - 5/15/10 Hartford - 5/20/10 NYC - 5/21/10 NYC - 6/21/11 (EV) NYC - 9/3/11 (10th row) East Troy - 9/4/11 East Troy - 9/2/12 Philadelphia - 7/19/13 Chicago - 10/19/13 Brooklyn - 10/25/13 Hartford - 10/30/13 Charlotte - 5/1/16 NYC - 5/2/16 NYC - 8/7/16 Boston - 9/4/18 Boston - 9/11/22 NYC
  • Options
    3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    Given to Fly holds a very special place in my heart. I was 19 years old, sitting alone in LAX on a multiple hour layover from my 7 month long trip overseas to Oz (the land down under), tired as hell b/c I could not sleep at all on the 12-14 hour flight from Aus. to L.A. and I was feeling a little homesick and lonely. I put on my headphones and was trying to get in some good local radio stations, and the very first thing i hear is a dj talking about the new album PJ had out (i didn't know at all, i was completely out of the loop at the time) and they were gonna play the new single. Of course, it was GTF. The soaring, anthemic and poweful song hit me immeadiatly. For some reason the song was reassuring to me. It gave me one of the most emotionally uplifting moments in my life (when I was drained to the core). Move to a few months later back in my hometown. Some of my friends were still working at the same place I had worked at the previous year, and I decided to go w/ them to their XMAS party b/c I knew I would see a lot of faces I hadn't seen in a long while. Well, I ended up talking w/ this extremely intelligent, humorous and gorgeous girl at the party and we started hitting it off. I'm normally kind of a shy person, but this girl made me forget all about my shyness. At the time I had began to dissect GTF, and somehow I brought it up into the conversation, and we talked about it for quite awhile, kind of an ice breaker if you will. Well, one thing led to another, and now that wonderful lady has decided to spend the rest of her life w/ me. So in a way, GTF is somewhat responsible for me meeting the woman of dreams. We even call it "our song". May sound cheesey to a lot of people, but that's why it holds a very special place in my heart.
    Live Free or Die!