Release as a Set Closer?

PJWGIIIPJWGIII Posts: 810
Considering I made a thread on Inside Job being an opener, I thought I would make a related thread to mirror it.

Just like being a legendary studio album closer, Release is a FANTASTIC and timeless concert opener. It seems that we all love it in that spot and the band has really given that song a home as #1 on setlists, but wouldn't it be cool if they completely blew our minds and pulled it out to end a main set, or maybe to even end a concert? This was discussed on an episode of Single Podcast Theory a while back, but I'd love to see a more widespread discussion. What do you guys think?
"Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
Contributor & Patron - liveon4legs.com
: Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10 | 2024: Vegas 5/16-&-18, Indy? Wrigley 2?

EV:
2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris

Comments

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,452
    Can’t stand slow endings. I would vote against this one even though I love the song
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    They played it during one of the encores at Bonarroo 08. It was dedicated to Tim Russerts son as Tim had passed away near that time. 
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I think the reason they play it at the start is because it's so vocally demanding, better to start with a fresh voice.  When I saw them in Amsterdam in 2012 they opened the first encore with Release.  I was pretty much floored, because I had only known them to open with it (from what I understand, a fan had won a competition to go to the show and help write the setlist).  Obviously it was amazing, but Ed's voice was definitely showing signs of fatigue.
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    I think the reason they play it at the start is because it's so vocally demanding, better to start with a fresh voice.  When I saw them in Amsterdam in 2012 they opened the first encore with Release.  I was pretty much floored, because I had only known them to open with it (from what I understand, a fan had won a competition to go to the show and help write the setlist).  Obviously it was amazing, but Ed's voice was definitely showing signs of fatigue.
    I've listened to that version quite frequently and you are indeed correct: EV's voice can't quite make it through those final "RELEASE ME's."
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    That would work....