Your first car accident was...

2»

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    hedonist said:
    Some asshole here ran a red light, and had the wheels on my husband's car not spun, he'd have been T-boned (badly, driver's side) instead of the unlucky guy who got hit instead.  Poor dude's beautiful Mercedes AMG was totaled.

He had one of those "that should have been me" moments that lasted all day.
    Please give D a big fat Ohio hug, please. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    deadendp said:
    hedonist said:
    Some asshole here ran a red light, and had the wheels on my husband's car not spun, he'd have been T-boned (badly, driver's side) instead of the unlucky guy who got hit instead.  Poor dude's beautiful Mercedes AMG was totaled.

He had one of those "that should have been me" moments that lasted all day.
    Please give D a big fat Ohio hug, please. 
    :kiss:
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I've been in so many car accidents my friends used to joke I should just get a bike.  I truly can not remember the first.  I have been hit from behind 3 times while stopped at a light.  I have been hit head on by a woman who had a seizure and crossed over the median and caused a 5 car accident.  I was struck head on while at a light at an on ramp by someone trying to make an illegal u-turn to get back on the highway.  I was hit broadside by a vehicle who ignored the disabled traffic light during a storm.  This vehicle went through the intersection, ignoring the fact that it was now a four way stop sign situation.  Ignoring the fact that the three lanes to his left were all stopped for traffic.  I was 2/3 of the way through the intersection and he came barreling into me.  Said it was my fault.  Turned out it wasn't his vehicle, he was driving the car that belonged to his passenger's wife.  One after the other.  None of these have been my fault.  I am thankful that thus far the injuries have been minor.  
    How many of these happened in Massachusetts? I'd guess all.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,447
    maybe not my first...maybe the 2nd or 3rd....it was a real shitshow...

I had come from my college in athens, ohio to visit some buddies at ohio state, in my hometown of columbus....I didn’t tell my parents I was in town...we were all doing drugs....them, acid; me, quaaludes....we decided to go somewhere and I was voted designated driver....I was driving some dude’s I didn’t know parent’s camaro....I rear ended a parked car on high street, the main drag thru columbus....that car was pushed into another car and that car into another...it was a saturday night....a crowd gathered....the cops put me in the back of their car...I was kicking at the window...they took me to the hospital....my teeth had gone thru my chin....they let me out of the hospital in the middle of the night, bandaged like the mummy....I wandered around, trying to find my friend’s dorm and asking random people for help...they all gave mei wide berth. my parents had been called and told their son had been in a wreck while under the influence of “hallucinogens” but I didn’t face the music until the next day. the insurance fight involving me, in a stranger’s parent’s car took a while to sort out.

ah, youth!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,988
    Wobbie said:

I had come from my college in athens, ohio to visit some buddies at ohio state, in my hometown of columbus....I didn’t tell my parents I was in town...we were all doing drugs....them, acid; me, quaaludes....we decided to go somewhere and I was voted designated driver....I was driving some dude’s I didn’t know parent’s camaro....I rear ended a parked car on high street, the main drag thru columbus....that car was pushed into another car and that car into another...it was a saturday night....a crowd gathered....the cops put me in the back of their car...I was kicking at the window...they took me to the hospital....my teeth had gone thru my chin....they let me out of the hospital in the middle of the night, bandaged like the mummy....I wandered around, trying to find my friend’s dorm and asking random people for help...they all gave mei wide berth. my parents had been called and told their son had been in a wreck while under the influence of “hallucinogens” but I didn’t face the music until the next day. the insurance fight involving me, in a stranger’s parent’s car took a while to sort out.

ah, youth!
    Was there any insurance to sort out? I thought if you're under the influence the insurance just says "good luck" and walks away from it.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215
    Insurance was a little more lenient in the 1930's.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    mace1229 said:
    Wobbie said:

ah, youth!
    Was there any insurance to sort out? I thought if you're under the influence the insurance just says "good luck" and walks away from it.
    yeah, there was insurance to sort out....someone had to pay for the bitchin' camaro. and car #1...and car #2.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,823
    first accident, major one?  I think it was in '99 me and my friend were coming out of Veterans stadium from a Dave Matthews Band show and the person in front of me slammed on their brakes and i ran right into them.  Cops came (no one was hurt or anything).  Kinda funny cause when the cop came the exact same thing happened to another vehicle right near us and that person lost their bumper.  I may have had some small fender benders before this but that one sticks out the most. 

not sure if this was my first one now that I think about it. I do remember one in the mid 90's when i was living at home now. I was at our development at the traffic signal waiting to turn left. Light turned green and I started to turn left when this young dude in a truck went through the red light, side swiping me. Hr admitted it was his fault but he couldn't see the red light cause the sun was in his eyes. My car was damaged pretty bad and they wanted to total it but at the time i liked my car a lot and wanted to keep it (looking back i probably should have gotten another car). Dude took me to court and lost.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,988
    Wobbie said:
    mace1229 said:
    Wobbie said:

ah, youth!
    yeah, there was insurance to sort out....someone had to pay for the bitchin' camaro. and car #1...and car #2.

Yeah, but I thought any time drugs or alcohol, or anything illegal, insurance doesn't pay out. Or if they do, they come after you for reimbursement. I worked with a girl who had her wages garnished because of a DUI accident she caused, and while the other party's insurance covered their injuries and damages, they went after her for reimbursement. Or something like that, I just remember she had her wages garnished for like 10 years or something, and all because it was alcohol related.
    Maybe you got lucky.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    Wobbie said:

ah, youth!

Ah, now the behavior makes sense.  The only thing worse you could have done was crash into a fire hydrant in your neighborhood with your SUV while your wife was chasing you.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    Not an accident, but the last time I was pulled over I received a warning by saying these magic words after being asked by the cop if I knew why I was being pulled over: “I was being an idiot”.  The cop said he gave me a warning for my honesty.    I thought for sure I was getting a ticket as two cop cars pulled me over and the cop noticed a prior warning ticket in my glove compartment.
    Not an accident, but the last time I was pulled over I received a warning by saying these magic words after being asked by the cop if I knew why I was being pulled over: “I was being an idiot”.  The cop said he gave me a warning for my honesty.    I thought for sure I was getting a ticket as two cop cars pulled me over and the cop noticed a prior warning ticket in my glove compartment.

I got pulled over just today for not signaling a lane change. really???? i’m pretty sure no one was within a quarter of a mile of me.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

ah, youth!

Ah, now the behavior makes sense.  The only thing worse you could have done was crash into a fire hydrant in your neighborhood with your SUV while your wife was chasing you.

yup.

I may have the drugs backwards...acid for me; quaaludes for my buddies...I remember finally getting back to my friend’s dorm and trying to sleep...dark side of the moon was playing on a continuous loop and the fucking bells in “time” woke me up every time I was even close.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16