Off He Goes

BobBob Posts: 7
This song has always reminded me of my friend Jay.
It's mostly the whole feeling of the song that brings him to mind,
but it's " I wonder bout his insides...it's like his thoughts are too big for his size" that get me thinkin'.
He moved away 2 days ago and as he turned his back and walked out the door I thought "Off He Goes"!!
Thanx PJ.
Dirty Frank
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• this is one of my all time favorite songs, there are actually so many different ways to look at it. there's this underlying hope to the sadness of it that makes it brilliant.
    once dissolved we are free to grow...
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    YES! I love this song with a passion. Although it breaks my heart and makes me cry everytime I hear it...it's that power that makes me love it so. Ed is just sooo intense on this one, pours that soul out. WOW! :o

The words, the music, his voice, the entire feel of it...it's perfect!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • BobBob Posts: 7
    This is one of them very few songs that actually stop me in my tracks. I've got to stop and take the time to listen.
    Just listen to the emotion.
    Dirty Frank
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    yeah same here. I listened to all of No Code last night, while I was reading, very thoughtful, and it also reminds me of someone as well..it reminds me of my older brother, Mart.
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • I love this song. This is a great example of just how good a lyric writer Eddie is. He is brilliant in his ability to put these feelings into a song. I mean, I have felt these same things a million times and wondered if anyone else did until this song came along...

It is about losing touch with an old friend, but I guess that Eddie has said it is actually about losing touch with himself and his old self, and that is even more clever and sad. I mean, it is very cleverly not made to be depressing, but it is a thing that we all go through. We see people drift away...and sometimes those people are even our former selves too...because we are sort of a construct of our social situation (at least as we see that situation in our own minds). We are a composite of what we see our position as, in its reflection in other people. Therefore whether we lose touch with ourselves or others it is basically the same in a way. Eddie knows that it is awkward to leave these things behind and that emotion is why I love this song. It portrays this feeling SO WELL!!!
    "A lot of times, music is like a wave, so
    once it starts, you get caught up in it.
    And if the sound on the stage is good, I
    can get lost in whatever we're doing, and
    I'm fine."- Ed Vedder

"I'm probably never happier than when
    I'm by myself in the water. What I've
    worked and sacrificed for is not to be on
    stage playing music but to surf in some
    secluded place. It's a grounding element.
    Waves don't care who you are." - Ed
    Vedder
  • So let me ask: Since he is going off some place, where do YOU think he is going?!!
    I'm fine."- Ed Vedder

Vedder
    Originally posted by fataloceansinhiding
    I love this song. This is a great example of just how good a lyric writer Eddie is. He is brilliant in his ability to put these feelings into a song. I mean, I have felt these same things a million times and wondered if anyone else did until this song came along...

It is about losing touch with an old friend, but I guess that Eddie has said it is actually about losing touch with himself and his old self, and that is even more clever and sad. I mean, it is very cleverly not made to be depressing, but it is a thing that we all go through. We see people drift away...and sometimes those people are even our former selves too...because we are sort of a construct of our social situation (at least as we see that situation in our own minds). We are a composite of what we see our position as, in its reflection in other people. Therefore whether we lose touch with ourselves or others it is basically the same in a way. Eddie knows that it is awkward to leave these things behind and that emotion is why I love this song. It portrays this feeling SO WELL!!!

YESSS!!! Awesome Rob!

"Lo√e, you know the word

Originally posted by fataloceansinhiding
    So let me ask: Since he is going off some place, where do YOU think he is going?!!

I think it's about loosing yourself and finding yourself all in the same song. ;)

"Lo√e, you know the word

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    he's been taken

where i don't know...........
  • Cool thought, Veddie...

I think it is about that thing that happens with people who are long since gone from your life. You can remember the good times you had...but they have changed by expanding out to other avenues...You can see them again and have a good time and then lose them to their other concerns...OR that can even be just a metaphor for how we ourselves change...

I think Eddie is taking this later perspective, but there is more...He is saying at the end that friendships and old versions of yourself never die...They just cease to be new...I don't know...I am making it seem depressing but it isn't...
    I'm fine."- Ed Vedder

Vedder
  • Originally posted by brain of c
    he's been taken

where i don't know...........
    That's pretty funny, brain! HA!
    I'm fine."- Ed Vedder

Vedder
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    very awesome my friend:)
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • BobBob Posts: 7
    Good question, man.
    I know where he is going physically, but I think I will never really know where he is going in his head.
    Maybe the song will relate better than I thought, to him going somewhere and finding himself and saying goodbye to the old Jay.
    Dirty Frank
  • "Like he's riding on a motorbike,
    in the strongest wind"
    Maybe he's going to hang 10!
    Great tune, and awesome insights,
    everyone!