Options

RIVAL

grooveamaticgrooveamatic Posts: 1,374
So small-seeming, so unassuming, yet so powerful. A few lines of blank verse poetry about a very topical and important event, backed by some funky-ass dirty music. This is a glimpse of how otherworldly-good Pearl Jam can be. Anyone agree with me?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    katelliskatellis Posts: 513
    edited June 2015
    --
    Post edited by katellis on
  • Options
    It needs to be done more live! Oh, in a perfect world....
  • Options
    i love the live version of this song...
    Don't let me know we're invisible
    Don't let me know we're invisible
    We could dance, dance, dance thru' the fire
    Dance, dance, dance thru' the fire
  • Options
    hell yeah, i love this song. and funky-dirty ass music is right, has this swaying type feel to it. if it wasn't for the words it'd be a painfully sexy song i think. the lyrics are great, the music, very cool song. it's awesome live.
  • Options
    This song rocks my ass. I "discovered" it a few months back after having heard it a few times but it hadn't grabbed me. I love the line, "Better pony up and bring both your barrels full." Ed's sooooo sexxxxxxyy when he plays it tough. I f*cking love him.
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    My favorite line is, "How will the man who made chemicals difficult/ Shed blood?" Its just such a roundabout way of saying something, and also a pretty neat psychological look inside the mind of a young killer...it gives me shivers....and then Eddies little "woo!"...so perfect because it is so out of place...just wrong enough to be right...
  • Options
    groove you knew I'd be here!

Rival is a great song....nice beat to it, and lyrics of course. I think it has an important message to it, should be listened to by everyone!

Not sure why but it compliments glorified g, for me anyway!
    "P-R-I-V-A-C-Y is priceless to me..."
  • Options
    BUMP! :D
  • Options
    love the song..but the dog growl is too long..i have to ff when it starts
  • Options
    It seems everyone here likes this song, so i feel bad for saying this but i'm not really fond of this track.It has some neat affects like with the growling dog on it,then the fantastic lyrics,and that errie piano playing.The thing i don't like about is that that song just gives me the creeps.That first line when Ed goes "All my rivals well see what i have in store/My GUN!" and with the swamping tone in the background,it reminds me of a those sadistic murders scenes with the oddest music playing the background.But its growing on me!
    "Life Is one crushing defeat after another,until you just wish Flanders was dead!"
    -Homer J.Simpson
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pilate1224
    groove you knew I'd be here!

Rival is a great song....nice beat to it, and lyrics of course. I think it has an important message to it, should be listened to by everyone!

Not sure why but it compliments glorified g, for me anyway!

Yeah...I never thought abot it but Rival does seem to compliment Glorified G alot....maybe Rival is the new Glorified G. I wouldn't call it a"continuation" of it, per se, but more like, Glorified G is a look at a problem on a larger, wider scale, and Rival shrinks it down and examines the sickness on a more intimate scale...
  • Options
    Also Glorified G has more of a joking feel to it...Rival is disturbingly serious
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,751
    Originally posted by grooveamatic
    So small-seeming, so unassuming, yet so powerful. A few lines of blank verse poetry about a very topical and important event, backed by some funky-ass dirty music. This is a glimpse of how otherworldly-good Pearl Jam can be. Anyone agree with me?

me. i think that Rival is overlooked, but i've always loved this song. it was special to hear it in San Diego in 2000. they played Jeremy and Rival back to back that show.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PJammin'
    me. i think that Rival is overlooked, but i've always loved this song. it was special to hear it in San Diego in 2000. they played Jeremy and Rival back to back that show.

Hard to believe that I was back there talking about how Rival complimented Glorified G, but I was completely oblivious to the obvious connection between Rival and Jeremy....sometimes I just don't think too much...
  • Options
    just got the Pinkpop 2000 show where they play Rival and Jeremy back-to-back. Wow. And they're both GREAT versions. Ed says something before Rival like, "Here's two songs about humans killing humans." It's a short set, but I recommend getting it. It's 12/6/00