Options

In terms of artwork, which concert poster do you feel encompasses all that is Pearl Jam?

13»

Comments

• Options
    ajaxbroajaxbro Posts: 352
    David Welker:
    When I listen to Pearl Jam and when think of Pearl Jam I am struck by the raw power and intensity of their delivery, their stage presence, their message and their unrivaled positivity. When I got the call from the band to do this poster it was just after Chinese New Year. I live very close to Chinatown here in New York and in my neighborhood there were parades and fireworks and dragons in the streets. I've been drawing and painting dragons for years. Astrologically I am a dragon. I have an obsession with the Chinese motif as well as the modern 20th Century Japanese monster movie incarnation of the dragon. For years I've wanted to do my interpretation of two intertwined dragons locked in motion together. This to me was a perfect representation of Pearl Jam's relationship to its fans. A Pearl Jam concert is very much about the bands involvement and inclusion of the audience in their music. The show itself becomes a huge participation. A joint effort. The fans sing every song along with Eddie Vedder and they do a very good job of extending the power of his voice. The whole experience of a Pearl Jam concert is this huge, powerful collaboration of energy. The dragon is a representation of pure, energy. Two dragons intertwined is an exponential magnification of this power and intensity. And when they both descend and collide into an amazing city like New York the experience is truly powerful. Even though the dragons may seem in one moment dangerous and menacing the city surges on around them, stopping to observe their awesome magnitude, unafraid of being crushed. In the next moment they will be gone.
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,058
    I would say Milton Keynes 2014, since it shows the original roots of most of the band: default
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    Another BKPJ20 vote.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    Klausen DC 2006, because Pearl Jam destroys!

• Options
    NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340
    lolobugg said:
    dankind said:
    Can someone explain this poster to me? Are the kids supposed to be Pearl jam and Neil is like their father? Honestly I have no idea. And which one is Boom?

It is Neil and Gloria Steinham as the parents.

and the kids are based on pictures of PJ when they were younger.

not sure which is which though.  except ED is the middle kid on the left blowing the whistle thingy

Here's what Justin Hampton wrote on the board way back when...

"I was commisioned by Pearl Jam to create their 20th anniversary event poster. They wanted something very special to commemorate the occaison so I worked directly with Jeff Ament on the concept. The theme is a riff on the famous Norman Rockwell 'Freedom of want' print.
    At the head of the table is Neil Young & Gloria Steinem as musical & cultural influences and below them are the band members as kids of that actual generation.
    From top to bottom on the left are: Jeff Ament, Eddie Vedder & Boom. Top to bottom on the right are Stone Gossard, Mike McCready and Matt Cameron.
    I worked from photos of them all as kids that I was supplied by their management.
    Designing the 20th poster was extra special for me as I was at & sold their merch 20 years before at their very 1st show at The Offramp in Seattle when they were named Mookie Blaylock.
    It was very full circle for me"
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
    jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 836
    edited May 2018

"I was commisioned by Pearl Jam to create their 20th anniversary event poster. They wanted something very special to commemorate the occaison so I worked directly with Jeff Ament on the concept. The theme is a riff on the famous Norman Rockwell 'Freedom of want' print.
    At the head of the table is Neil Young & Gloria Steinem as musical & cultural influences and below them are the band members as kids of that actual generation.
    From top to bottom on the left are: Jeff Ament, Eddie Vedder & Boom. Top to bottom on the right are Stone Gossard, Mike McCready and Matt Cameron.
    I worked from photos of them all as kids that I was supplied by their management.
    Designing the 20th poster was extra special for me as I was at & sold their merch 20 years before at their very 1st show at The Offramp in Seattle when they were named Mookie Blaylock.
    Wow very cool!! Thanks for this!!
    Post edited by jpdannabelle on
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    ryph raph said:
    Pittsburgh 2013 .
    I was there.

Ditto
    I was there as well
  • Options
    NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340

Wow very cool!! Thanks for this!!
    Unverified side note....I seem to remember that there was discussion about Peggy Young being there instead of Gloria Steinem in the original concept, but Justin changed before it was final.  
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,564
    I have to add emek ‘96

Nothing says pj like a recycled piece of art...
    Haha, you might be right - Seattle 2013 comes to mind. But where did this come from? I didn't know it was a recycled concept or re-used artwork.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,040
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have to add emek ‘96

Nothing says pj like a recycled piece of art...
    Haha, you might be right - Seattle 2013 comes to mind. But where did this come from? I didn't know it was a recycled concept or re-used artwork.

Image result for emek peaceImage result for emek unnatural resourcesImage result for emek peace
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Don't see this one pop up for sale too often. Another beauty from Ames '98.

...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,441
    ajaxbro said:
    David Welker:
    When I listen to Pearl Jam and when think of Pearl Jam I am struck by the raw power and intensity of their delivery, their stage presence, their message and their unrivaled positivity. When I got the call from the band to do this poster it was just after Chinese New Year. I live very close to Chinatown here in New York and in my neighborhood there were parades and fireworks and dragons in the streets. I've been drawing and painting dragons for years. Astrologically I am a dragon. I have an obsession with the Chinese motif as well as the modern 20th Century Japanese monster movie incarnation of the dragon. For years I've wanted to do my interpretation of two intertwined dragons locked in motion together. This to me was a perfect representation of Pearl Jam's relationship to its fans. A Pearl Jam concert is very much about the bands involvement and inclusion of the audience in their music. The show itself becomes a huge participation. A joint effort. The fans sing every song along with Eddie Vedder and they do a very good job of extending the power of his voice. The whole experience of a Pearl Jam concert is this huge, powerful collaboration of energy. The dragon is a representation of pure, energy. Two dragons intertwined is an exponential magnification of this power and intensity. And when they both descend and collide into an amazing city like New York the experience is truly powerful. Even though the dragons may seem in one moment dangerous and menacing the city surges on around them, stopping to observe their awesome magnitude, unafraid of being crushed. In the next moment they will be gone.
    No offense to you or Mr. Walker personally, but that poster is awful.  Major buzzkill when you’re at a show early enough to snag a poster and it’s a dud.  Reminds me of a Far Side cartoon. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited May 2018
    on2legs said:
    ajaxbro said:
    David Welker:
    No offense to you or Mr. Walker personally, but that poster is awful.  Major buzzkill when you’re at a show early enough to snag a poster and it’s a dud.  Reminds me of a Far Side cartoon. 
    To each their own but the thread is exactly for that, to see which poster speaks to each of us the most. Ugly or not. Art is about perception. 
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    on2legs said:
    ajaxbro said:
    David Welker:
    To each their own but the thread is exactly for that, to see which poster speaks to each of us the most. Ugly or not. Art is about perception. 
    Yes... that’s why I said no offense to the person who posted it or to the artist. And then I posted my perception. =)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 484
    ajaxbro said:
    David Welker:
    Thank you!! Very cool!!
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,772
    dcp3y said:

I'd say definitive for the 2000's for sure. Not sure about a career.

Tossing two others out there - one for its simplicity in relatable song topics about escapism, struggle, and independence (and really, an Ames print should be in the running):

The other being a little more literal about the machine that is McCready:

• Options
    tschav said:
    dcp3y said:

Tossing two others out there - one for its simplicity in relatable song topics about escapism, struggle, and independence (and really, an Ames print should be in the running):

I’m a fan of the McCready poster.  Underrated gem right there. 

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    tschav said:
    dcp3y said:

tschav said:
    dcp3y said:

The East Troy poster is wonderful.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,899
    on2legs said:
    ajaxbro said:
    David Welker:
    My god that poster is fugly as hell.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,392
    I love the Welker dragons. But 96 Charlotte Emek gets my vote 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016