Options

Concert Earplugs

lukemil33lukemil33 Vandalia, OH Posts: 231
Not sure if this is the right place for this but figure I'll ask anyway. I go to a lot of concerts (20+ a year) and about 2 years ago I started wearing earplugs after I started having slight tinnitus in my right ear. I've bought the same generic brand you can get at a hardware store and they've been great. 28db reduction and pretty comfortable. Even though they've worked for me, I've been looking for an upgrade this year. Been considering Decibullz or Isolate Pros. What earplugs do you use for concerts? I'd love any input!

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452
    I just use generic earplugs.  I find I can hear the music better with the earplugs in than with them out. After a few years of using them I can’t imagine not using them.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    vercemanverceman Posts: 680
    Eargasm High Fidelity.  http://a.co/6TlYZ4q

After I too much loud music in college gave me tinnitus I started wearing those cheap foam earplugs you can get for free or by the dozen at drugstores. They are great at muffling the volume and preventing post concert ear ringing, and are cheap to replace, but I found myself pulling them out during encores so I could at least for a few songs hear what the band really sounded like.

A couple years ago I invested in Etymotic "high fidelity" earplugs, and it was much better. I could actually hear the music. However, I noticed myself critiquing the soundboard mixer for having a screwed up mix - having the drums too loud or two quiet or whatever. Recently I realized that if I pulled out the earplugs during the last song of the concert that my earplugs were actually the problem. All the instruments were muted, but some were muted more than others.

Finally, I tried these 
    Eargasm High Fidelity. Good god, what a difference. The sound is crystal clear, but without the intense volume. I have now used them for two concerts, and have been blown away by how great they work.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,239
    edited March 2018
    on2legs said:
    I just use generic earplugs.  I find I can hear the music better with the earplugs in than with them out. After a few years of using them I can’t imagine not using them.  
    I use generic ones too (red foamies).  Have been for 20 years (after developing tinnitus at age 19 at a soundgarden show).   I tried the cheap "audio" ones you can buy at a drugstore for $20 (similar to the ones PJ gave out on the last tour).   They agitate my ears, and don't block enough sound.  I find foamies work pretty good.   I don't find they muffle anything, they simply cut decibels across the board.  Before I started using them, I could never really hear what the singer was saying a at concert.   Now it cuts out the distortion (Which was killing my ears) and I can hear everything great.

That being said, I can't say that verceman's post about Eargasm' plugs doesn't intrigue me.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    I bought a new pair of  Etymotic High Fidelity Earplugs, ER20XS  recently before I shot Anthrax from the pit.. Didn't want ringing ears for days afterwards. They work great!!...

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    I have always used SureFire Sonic Defenders for the gun range. One day, at a concert I saw people wearing plugs, didn't know what it was about so the next concert I went to, I decided to bring mine and give it a try. I saw Jane's Addiction at a very small venue and Dinosaur Jr. opened for them. The stage and the rail had no gap so my face was right in front of J. Mascis' amps and I heard everything clear and very clean. I don't know if you know him, but if anyone can demolish ears at a show, it is that guy.  I only wear them if I am really close and surprisingly, I find the sound quality better when wearing my plugs that when I am not. I, like you, also go to a lot of concerts on top of spending a good amount of time on the gun range so I have to protect my ears and these plugs have done a great job. Plus, they are on the cheaper side.

Bonus: It has little inner plugs you can flip open and close for when things get stupid loud

• Options
    Hey thanks for posting this!  My husband will be looking for something when we go to Wrigley.  He’s always used generic foamies. 
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,058
    About 15 years ago I bought some of the shooting range rubber ones from Walmart to use for concerts and when playing drums in bands. They have worked great for years, Don't muffle the sound, just take out the loudness of everything. I'm about to replace them finally with the eagasm ones. Too much wax buildup. 
  • Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    I have always used SureFire Sonic Defenders for the gun range. One day, at a concert I saw people wearing plugs, didn't know what it was about so the next concert I went to, I decided to bring mine and give it a try. I saw Jane's Addiction at a very small venue and Dinosaur Jr. opened for them. The stage and the rail had no gap so my face was right in front of J. Mascis' amps and I heard everything clear and very clean. I don't know if you know him, but if anyone can demolish ears at a show, it is that guy.  I only wear them if I am really close and surprisingly, I find the sound quality better when wearing my plugs that when I am not. I, like you, also go to a lot of concerts on top of spending a good amount of time on the gun range so I have to protect my ears and these plugs have done a great job. Plus, they are on the cheaper side.

Bonus: It has little inner plugs you can flip open and close for when things get stupid loud

I use the same ones as well. I'd recommend them.
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882
    edited April 2018
    I don't know how people go to concerts without earplugs.

This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-ETY-Plugs-Fidelity-Earplugs-Standard/dp/B0015WJQ7A/ 

Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    jtgreenjtgreen Posts: 75
    I'll second Eargasm High Fidelity. I've worn them to about a dozen shows and never have an issue hearing the whole band, the singers never sound muffled when they're talking, I can hear people talking to me fine, and I never have to deal with tinnitus. 

I've used them in small 500 person venues, outdoors, and in big arenas. Everywhere from along the barricade to against the back wall. Never go to a show without them now.  
    Hey, I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I'm certainly not the dumbest.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    I use eargasm, and they seem to let-in more sound than other brands, however, I am not sure if they afford the same protection as other brands such as Dubs.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191

Earasers are amazing. the choice of a lot of musicians that want to hear everything but just turn down the volume a little.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002
    If anyone is interested in the Earasers: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/earasers-earplugs
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    I've been using Alpine for the past few years, been very happy with them.

https://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/earplugs/musicsafe-classic/

Now I'm also curious to try some of the other models mentioned here too.

• Options
    Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    Where do you guys buy your earplugs? I have had a look on amazon but a lot of the brands you guys mentioned don't seem to be available, or maybe just no in Europe.
  • Options
    Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    ceska said:
    I just had a look on the website of my local music store and they have the Alpine ones. I might pop in next week and check them out. 
    But thanks for researching that for me :-) 
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    I've had tinnitus since the Pearl Jam shows in May of 2010. I used the Etymotics for a long time, but about five years ago, had musician's plugs made for around $250 CDN (which means it's probably available for less in the States). Couldn't recommend it more to anyone. For the price of 2-3 shows, you will make every single one of them you'll ever see that much more enjoyable.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,656
    benjs said:
    I've had tinnitus since the Pearl Jam shows in May of 2010. I used the Etymotics for a long time, but about five years ago, had musician's plugs made for around $250 CDN (which means it's probably available for less in the States). Couldn't recommend it more to anyone. For the price of 2-3 shows, you will make every single one of them you'll ever see that much more enjoyable.
    I had the custom ones made where they make a mold of your ear canal. I think they were about $170 US. They work great. The only negative is that sometimes I think I've lost them after getting home after a few beers and I get a little panicked. Turns out I put them somewhere I thought was a good idea at the time.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    benjs said:
    I had the custom ones made where they make a mold of your ear canal. I think they were about $170 US. They work great. The only negative is that sometimes I think I've lost them after getting home after a few beers and I get a little panicked. Turns out I put them somewhere I thought was a good idea at the time.
    Exact same here (the whole way through)! I have my "senior's package" which includes a little change purse with a bunch of Tylenols and my earplugs.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    Exact same here (the whole way through)! I have my "senior's package" which includes a little change purse with a bunch of Tylenols and my earplugs.
    Don't forget the hand sanitizer!
  • Options
    Picked up these yesterday! Same brand I used last year for my shows. Definitely going to give Eargasm a try as well.

• Options
    Gingerlou77Gingerlou77 Posts: 429
    I've never thought to use these before. With 7 shows this summer I'm wondering if I should!!
  • Options
    I've never thought to use these before. With 7 shows this summer I'm wondering if I should!!
    I highly recommend them, and the ones for music that people are referencing are the way to go. I decided to get them after a show in 2000 on Mike's side and the humming/buzzing was in my left ear for about 6 months. Sometimes that doesn't go away.
  • Options
    They're a lifesaver man. It's totally worth it to not have ringing and pain after shows. I started using mine last year and I saw shows ranging from rock to acoustic and I have no complaints. Can't imagine going to a show without them now!
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,450
    benjs said:
    I have tinnitus since 2013. Lucky, i only have it bad in one ear.

Musician's plugs? Is that the name of the ear plugs? I only use the basic foam ear plugs, but i'd like to get a real pair. 
  • Options
    DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 619
    I picked up some Etymotics a couple of years ago thanks to a thread like this one on the forum that seemed to identify them as a big step up from the foamies and only paid like $10-$12.00. The only downfall with these is I can hear myself sing when they're in which serves to remind me I couldn't carry a tune with a bucket but I still like to try.
  • Options
    Dug1200Dug1200 Chicago Posts: 188
    I don't know how people go to concerts without earplugs.

This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-ETY-Plugs-Fidelity-Earplugs-Standard/dp/B0015WJQ7A/ 

I used these for many years.  Recently got custom molded ones.  well worth the couple hundred
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,853
    For the past few years I've been using the MusicCares earplugs that I picked up at one of PJ's shows. I even keep a pair in the kitchen to use each morning when blending a smoothie for breakfast :glasses:  How do the more professional-grade earplugs compare the ones from MusicCares? Are they worth making the upgrade?
  • Options
    Any recommendation for earplugs for a kid?  I am taking my 7 year old to his first show this year!  I would hope to not have to make him wear those huge ear-muff style sets that you see kids wearing at sporting events.  Thanks.