Options

Flags at half-staff proclamations

What types of events or people should be receiving this honor?

I was just thinking about this as I saw the order come through my email for flags to be lowered in remembrance of Billy Graham via Trump's proclamation. I don't know a lot about Graham, but I found it a little puzzling at face value. He doesn't seem to rise to the degree of a national treasure for me I guess. Typically we see it happen after national tragedies (Parkland, Sandy Hook, 9/11), on military related holidays or for military casualties of significance. Occasionally I have noticed it for people, John Glenn, past presidents, etc. 

Just curious what others thoughts and observations are.
It's a hopeless situation...

Comments

• Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    I agree with you that it seems pretty odd to order this for Billy Graham.  This should be for local/national tragedies, former presidents, military leaders.  Recently flags have been at half mast to honor the two police officers that were shot and killed here.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Is a flag at half staff kneeling?
    What if Kaepernick is actually halfstaffin?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    fun fact: flags flown at half-staff are easier to burn
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:
    Is a flag at half staff kneeling?
    What if Kaepernick is actually halfstaffin?
    Halfstaffin  :rofl:

Honestly, either way is fine by me.  Those lost can and likely will still be honored via other means.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,319
    Do the flags fly half staff for the victims of the massacres? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    It sure seems to me that the flag gets flown at half mast more readily these days.  Once upon a time, when you saw the flag at half mast, everybody knew why it was so.  Now days, half the time you have to run to the computer to find out what's up.  There have been a few times where even doing that left me scratching my head. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    I don't think the flag should be lowered for Billy Graham.
    The lowering of the flag should be rare.
    Reserved for just a few spacific things, not every time the president feels like it.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,253
    Another one that I question, Barbara Bush. Ok, so she was the first lady for 4 years. Now we're going to lower flags for first ladies? I can't wait for Melania and Hillary to have their day. This is getting ridiculous.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,941
    Flags are at half staff here in Massachusetts right now for a police officer that was killed on Cape Cod of all places. I think it's often a nice tribute. At the same time, I've lost track of how many times over the years I've walked by flags at half staff and had no idea why they were like that.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    I have to be honest....I barley notice flag at half staff anymore.  Probably cause it seems so frequent.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    If were going to fly the flag at half mast for every politician, police officer and multiple murder victims, maybe we should also include the loss of people working for peace and justice and for the loss of lives due to war and refugee death and... you know, maybe it should just stay at half mast all the times these days.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    If were going to fly the flag at half mast for every politician, police officer and multiple murder victims, maybe we should also include the loss of people working for peace and justice and for the loss of lives due to war and refugee death and... you know, maybe it should just stay at half mast all the times these days.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Just fly it half staff at all times if we’re going to honor those who have fallen too soon no matter the cause.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,018
    Then do we fly it at quarter-staff when its someone really big, like an active president or something?
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited April 2018

What makes a President a Given that they get to fly the mast at Half Mast or as you say quarter Mast?

Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Then do we fly it at quarter-staff when its someone really big, like an active president or something?
    No, because then someone would steal it.  What you do then is raise the pole 50% (construction and installment of new pneumatic flag polls at all post offices, fires station etc will be a boon to the economy) and keep it at half mast.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,018
    i_lov_it said:

What makes a President a Given that they get to fly the mast at Half Mast or as you say quarter Mast?

I don't think any modern president hasn't been given a half-mass honor. The quarter mass was a joke based on the previous comment.
    As much as people don't like Trump, if he died in office, don't you think there'd be flags flying at half-mass across the country?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

I don't think any modern president hasn't been given a half-mass honor. The quarter mass was a joke based on the previous comment.
    As much as people don't like Trump, if he died in office, don't you think there'd be flags flying at half-mass across the country?
      Very likely, of course, but probably not the same widespread weeping and sorrow when, for example, JFK was shot.

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    edited April 2018
    Half mast only refers to ships,  correct? Half staff refers to flag poles on land?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Half mast only refers to ships,  correct? Half staff refers to flag poles on land?

Aye Cap'n, indeed!