Options

Was Eric Heiden's 5 Individual Gold Medals at 1980 Lake Placid greatest Olympic performance ever?

Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
edited February 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
Eric Heiden swept all 5 of the men's speed skating events, no one has ever come close to doing it in swimming or sprinting, he won the sprints & the distance events, he absolutely crushed all his competition
Eric Heiden 1980 Lake Placid Olympics results:
500M Gold-Olympic Record
1000M Gold-Olympic record
1500M Gold-Olympic record
5000M Gold-Olympic record
10000M Gold-Olympic Record

Eric Heiden - ESPN's SportsCentury 50 Greatest Athletes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyfUh1wA96o

Was Eric Heiden's 5 Individual Gold Medals at 1980 Lake Placid greatest Olympic performance ever? 17 votes

Yes
17%
Given to...JK_LivinBig Bank Hank 3 votes
No
82%
darwinstheorygregkitefanbootlegger10EnkidujosevolutiontbergsHesCalledDyerKC138045BLACK35eeriepadavergambsnortherndragonehbaconConorKavanagh 14 votes

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    No
    No one compares to Phelps it’s not even close ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I’m guessing that whatever I answer will be wrong in some way. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    No
    He skated fast.
    Phelps swam fast.

Sure, they both dominated hardcore, but they only did 1 thing with minor tweaks.
    A single gold medal in the decathlon or all-around gymnastics is more impressive than either of their very impressive Olympic runs.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    No
    Winning both the 500 and the 10,000 is quite a feat though, and I do think it's a greater accomplishment than Phelps.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    dankind said:
    :lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Yes
    No one compares to Phelps it’s not even close ...
    dude, there is zero chance Michael Phelps could win the 1500M which is what he would have to do to be equivalent, to sweep all the events and set olympic records in everyone, but whatever, you obviously don't understand the difficulty of winning the sprint & endurance events because no swimmer has or probably could ever win the 50M & 1500M and no track athlete could win both the 100M & 10,000M in fact no athletes even enter both events, he had to beat the world record holders who specialized in those events, so that is what makes Heiden's 5 golds more impressive than Phelps 8 or Spitz's 7, we are talking a single olympics and not an olympic career.
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    edited February 2018
    I'd say Carl Lewis 1984 winning gold in the 100m, 200m, 4x100 relay and the Long Jump

or

the 1980 USA Men's Hockey team for beating the greatest team in the world with college players in the biggest upset in the history of sports.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,413
    Jesse Owens at the 1936 Berlin games.

4 gold medals
    Broke or equaled 9 Olympic records
    Set 3 world records

and...

A big "Fuck you!" to Hitler.
  • Options
    Yes
    Hobbes said:
    Jesse Owens at the 1936 Berlin games.

4 gold medals
    Broke or equaled 9 Olympic records
    Set 3 world records

and...

A big "Fuck you!" to Hitler.
    that was great and I think Jesse Owens was awesome, but he didn't win any distance events they were all sprints, for it to be equivalent he'd have to win both the 100M & 10,000M plus 3 other events in between
  • Options
    So, you side with Hitler?

Neat.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Yes
    Hobbes said:

Neat.
    lol, no Eric Heiden is an American, and winning both the sprint & distance events is a unequaled feat because you are going up against athletes who specialize only in those events. Eric Heiden is as big as Michael Jordan in Holland & Norway, most of my fellow American don't really follow speed skating
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Hobbes said:

Neat.
    It's your Cognitive Dissonance and sheep-like nature that causes you to say such a thing. I mean, why would siding with Hitler be wrong? Just because the Mainstream Media says so? 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Hold on. I need to mute CNN for a moment so I can type this:

Baaaaaa.
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,968
    No
    Remember when Kerri Strug won the US gymnastics team gold with a sprained ankle? That.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeWduNomDqY
  • Options
    No
    ehbacon said:
    Remember when Kerri Strug won the US gymnastics team gold with a sprained ankle? That.
    That was an amazing moment, so glad I was watching live.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,425
    No
    pjhawks said:
    I'd say Carl Lewis 1984 winning gold in the 100m, 200m, 4x100 relay and the Long Jump

or

the 1980 USA Men's Hockey team for beating the greatest team in the world with college players in the biggest upset in the history of sports.
    The latter wasn't for a medal, though.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    pjhawks said:

or

the original question was greatest Olympic performance not medals won. beating the greatest hockey team in the world with amateurs was a pretty amazing peformance.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    It’s beginning to look like the two options actually are:

1) Yes
    2) I’m obviously far too stupid to understand the wider implications of this question so shouldn’t even register a vote
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Thread name should be changed to

Eric Heiden's 5 Individual Gold Medals at 1980 Lake Placid was the greatest Olympic performance ever

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,639
    No
    rgambs said:
    He skated fast.
    Phelps swam fast.

Sure, they both dominated hardcore, but they only did 1 thing with minor tweaks.
    A single gold medal in the decathlon or all-around gymnastics is more impressive than either of their very impressive Olympic runs.
    COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU.
  • Options
    Yes
    pjhawks said:

or

Carl Lewis & Jesse Owens were both real dominant
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    No
    No.
    The 2018 US Mens Curling Team!!!
  • Options
    Yes
    No.
    The 2018 US Mens Curling Team!!!
    that was pretty amazing, I stayed up until past 1 am watching, the 5 stones in the 8th leg was amazing
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,425
    No
    2004 USA softball team:
    Undefeated 7-game run to win the gold, allowing only 19 hits and outscoring opponents 51-1 along the way.  4 wins came by run rule and that lone run allowed occurred in the next to last inning of the gold medal game.
  • Options
    Yes
    2004 USA softball team:
    Undefeated 7-game run to win the gold, allowing only 19 hits and outscoring opponents 51-1 along the way.  4 wins came by run rule and that lone run allowed occurred in the next to last inning of the gold medal game.
    people watch softball?
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    No
    2004 USA softball team:
    people watch softball?
    Beats the pants off the overblown game of shuffle board they call Curling.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Yes
    rgambs said:
    2004 USA softball team:
    people watch softball?
    oh wow really? sure doesn't get the ratings, in fact didn't they toss softball out of the olympics for drawing too little attention?
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    No
    rgambs said:
    2004 USA softball team:
    people watch softball?
    oh wow really? sure doesn't get the ratings, in fact didn't they toss softball out of the olympics for drawing too little attention?
    They tossed because the USA kicked everyone's ass.  Too little competition.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018