2023 NASCAR Season!!! Starts on pg 12.

tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
edited February 2023 in All Encompassing Trip
All things NASCAR!!!

Last weeks Daytona 500 was great.  New rules and 40 cars were in it and only 36 this week?  

PG 7 starts the 2021 Season!!!

Pg 10 2022 discussion starts!  LA Coliseum and dirt!.  I really wanted to go to this but piss poor planning by me...

pg 12 2023 LA Coliseum 2nd year!
Post edited by tempo_n_groove on

Comments

• Congrats Kevin Harvick!
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Oh boy!! My parents decided to move to "Race City USA" (Mooresville, NC) from Charlotte when I was in high school and I ended up being classmates with Dale Jr. I've never been to a race or ever really got into it, but my late stepdad, Jim (RIP), was an awesome dude, he was the MAN and he always had a race on in the background.. radio/tv. Racing makes me think of him and that makes me happy. 
  • Oh boy!! My parents decided to move to "Race City USA" (Mooresville, NC) from Charlotte when I was in high school and I ended up being classmates with Dale Jr. I've never been to a race or ever really got into it, but my late stepdad, Jim (RIP), was an awesome dude, he was the MAN and he always had a race on in the background.. radio/tv. Racing makes me think of him and that makes me happy. 
    Love it!  My old company had a race team(Silver Crown) and we hired a driver that was best friends with Dave Jr.  Man, do I have stories!!!
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    I'm sure there were some good ones... I've seen and heard a few myself but wtf knows? I used to drive past the Earnhardt Complex on my way to UNC Charlotte when I was commuting. It turned into a huge shrine after Earnhardt died. Then it became a tourist attraction and I graduated and moved shortly after.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Kevin Harvick now has two in a row.

Congrats.

I really wish more of you enjoyed the oval track motor sports...
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I used to watch it every Sunday. Only Nascar though, didn't get in to other racing. Even wentry to a race up in Michigan. That was a HOT, fun drunk weekend. But when Gordon retired originally, that was pretty much it for me. Even though I picked Truex up as my heir-apparent to Gordon back in 2008 or 2009. I now just keep a distant eye on it. So many new kids.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    I used to watch it every Sunday. Only Nascar though, didn't get in to other racing. Even wentry to a race up in Michigan. That was a HOT, fun drunk weekend. But when Gordon retired originally, that was pretty much it for me. Even though I picked Truex up as my heir-apparent to Gordon back in 2008 or 2009. I now just keep a distant eye on it. So many new kids.
    Cool!  Gordon was also my favorite driver.  I missed out on his final year to actually attend a race and was mad that I didn't go.
    I'm still not sure whom i like now?  Keslowski is good.  Chase Elliott is young gun.

I do like that Bubba Wallace fellow.  Let's see how he does!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    I actually get mad at people that think this way.  It ruins the sport.
    dankind said:
    Well, George Carlin is dead, so getting mad at him is about as useful as “a bunch of rednecks driving 500 miles in a circle.”
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Well, George Carlin is dead, so getting mad at him is about as useful as “a bunch of rednecks driving 500 miles in a circle.”
    I can scorn you with my evil eye for reposting.  Grrrr.  evil eye stare grrrr

As brilliant as Carlin was he became a curmudgeon and was yelling at everyone to get off his lawn.
    edited March 2018
    I actually had no respect for the “sport” until I went to Daytona Speedway during one Bike Week for the motorcycle races and got to walk along the track. At the top of the banking for the turns, it’s like standing on the roof of a three- or four-story building. So while I respect the guts and skill it takes to take those turns at ridiculous speeds, I still think it’s incredibly stupid.

Then again, I also think that sliding down a snowy mountainside with one’s feet attached to sticks is incredibly stupid, too. But at least that’s interesting to watch. 

I hope that you find a few race buddies here, though, Chris. I can’t imagine that it’s very big where you live either. It was on basically every television everywhere you went (including the one in our living room) where I grew up. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I sometimes liked the excitement the announcers down on pit road have during pits tops too:

The 24 of Jeff Gordon is taking 4 fresh Goodyear's, two cans of Sunoco racin' fuel, a window peel and a wedge in the left rear! Over to you Marty!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    I sometimes liked the excitement the announcers down on pit road have during pits tops too:

The 24 of Jeff Gordon is taking 4 fresh Goodyear's, two cans of Sunoco racin' fuel, a window peel and a wedge in the left rear! Over to you Marty!
    HAHAHAH!!!  That is spot on!

I also like the excitement when they talk to the crew chiefs and the announcer yells "I talked with the number 9 car Chase Elliots crew chief Alan Gustafson and he says that he's really tight going into turns 3&4 but tons of speed down stretches 1&2!!!"
    Yeah, so much of it is cheesy as hell, but fun. Of course you have to add in the southern accent and the louder background noise of the cars to make us feel like we're really close to the action. Remember whem the "car of tomorrow" (COT) came out? They couldn't stop talking about that damn thing!

Now whenever I pass someone on the highway, I'll say "Darwin on the inside (out/high/low)!" out loud. My girlfriend just looks at me and laughs...naturally.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Another person who looks at NASCAR fans as dumb ignorant hicks...  I do giggle at it though.
    Snowed out over the weekend.  Race will be today at 2pm eastern!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    nascar > ufc

faint praise.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    nascar > ufc

faint praise.
    You have been elevated on my PJ friends I've never met list, lol!
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I use really love nascar ... but all the best drivers have left.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    There are a good bunch of new drivers now though!  Keslowski is a stud, Logano is good too.

Truex Jr has been great this year so far!  Bubba Wallace is a nice new edition too.

Chase Elliott looks good too!

C'mon pick one!  My favorite driver was Jeff Gordon so I just root for a race now rather than a specific driver because I can't choose, lol.
    There are a good bunch of new drivers now though!  Keslowski is a stud, Logano is good too.

Truex Jr has been great this year so far!  Bubba Wallace is a nice new edition too.

C'mon pick one!  My favorite driver was Jeff Gordon so I just root for a race now rather than a specific driver because I can't choose, lol.
    Yes, the drivers are just as talented, but their personalities don’t match the likes of both Earnhardt’s, Gordon, Stewart, Edwards, Wallace ... you get the picture ... have picked a driver ... Johnston 
    Give Peas A Chance…

Yes, the drivers are just as talented, but their personalities don’t match the likes of both Earnhardt’s, Gordon, Stewart, Edwards, Wallace ... you get the picture ... have picked a driver ... Johnston 
    My favorite personality from a racer is Michael Waltrip.  He cracks me up when he goes down in the pits and talks to the drivers.
    So there were 5 drivers only on the lead lap here in Texas but Newman blew a front right tire and found the wall so now there are only 4...

Go Harvick.  He looks really good!
  • Congrats to Joey Logano for securing the Championship.

I was hoping that Truex Jr would win again.  He was dominant all year.

See you all in February.
    How'd Jimmy Johnston do?  He is at 7 championships?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • How'd Jimmy Johnston do?  He is at 7 championships?
    He didn't have a good year this year.  That's why his crew chief is leaving.
    His crew chief is leaving, they've been together since day 1.  Haven't followed it as much since Gordon retired.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    ^plus 1...something between then and now just changed entirely. I just can't follow it anymore. Even jumped on the Truex train prior to it becoming a bandwagon. I knew I needed a new guy a few years before Gordon called it quits and Truex had a good story. Even with him panning out as a good driver, I just can't follow it anymore.