Options

Sleight of hand

Who hates their job/career so much that this could be their theme song??? I am a 33-year-old with a useless college degree who has worked as a receptionist/admin support for over 10 years. I feel trapped because I haven't worked in any other capacity. "Waves goodbye-to himself"- that's me, only a she. There's a complete dichotomy between the person I think I am outside these walls and the person who sits at a fucking desk all day long. It's almost worse because I'm good at what I do! Anyway, obviously I'm not working right now. I get some satisfaction out of getting paid while looking at the board. My way of getting even. Not very mature, I know. I'll shut up now.
Protecting the democracy that we ask our sons and daughters to die for is our responsibility and our trust. Demanding accountability from our leaders is our job as citizens. It's the American way. -Bruce Springsteen
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    wow. For a long time I couldn't listen to this song because it just sounded like the wrong words to the music. It didn't seem to match up. Then I saw the HOB webcast. I don't know how else to say it, but right there it 'clicked' for me; I got it and it made sense.

And scarier, still, (much like it did for you it seems) it just hit way too close to home. I realized that that was me in the song. I was that guy. EVERY FUCKING LINE. It was like Pearl Jam wrote my biography.

Now the song sort of inspires me. I'm back in college after dropping out a couple years ago, and I would be flat out lying if I said this song didn't have a great deal to do with it.

Honestly, I'm laughing an uneasy laugh as i write this, because I don't ever wanna be that guy in the song anymore.

Sleight of Hand went from one of the only PJ songs I couldn't listen to, to one of my two or three favorites in no time flat. It's pretty rarely played live, and I never even considered that I might hear it in person. Well, I was at Detroit 2, and when those opening chords hit, i was so floored, so shocked, I don't think I've ever screamed louder appreciation for a song at a concert in my life. I swear, half the ampitheater went to the bathroom when they played it and all I could do was stand on my seat and watch and listen in awe.
  • Options
    Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    i felt really out of place once and this song captured that feeling quit well.. at first i thought everything was out of place in this song.. now i love it maybe even more for that reason..

i'll see u on the other side..
    your light's reflected now
  • Options
    {[No_Code}]{[No_Code}] Posts: 4,059
    best song off binaural
    So that is how I learned the lesson that everyone is alone. And your eyes must do some raining if you are ever going to grow. But when crying don't help and you can't compose yourself. It is best to compose a poem, an honest longing or simple song of hope.
    That is why I'm singing