I was angry about ticket prices....

Comments

• nicknyr15 said:
    All I have to say is u2 tickets are 331 plus fees for first 10 rows in the 200 sections. So...... 
    So... that is the EXACT reason that I didn't go and see them.
    I can say for U2, while the prices to the general public are astronomical, they took care of fan club members this year. They don't do a lottery, but did the verified fan thing with Ticketmaster. I have only had U2 fan club membership for three or four years. I was put in a what they called the "Experienced" draw and got GA floor for $102 including Ticketmaster fees.  When it went public those seats were the crazy pricing mentioned above, so it was kind of cool they threw the fan club members a bone. I have no issue with PJ charging what they charge, they routinely keep prices down for all, when they could easily charge more.  
  • risrisrisris Posts: 76
    I can only say that you have to compare value of acts you have seen.

For U2 in Vancouver for the Joshua Tree tour, I paid $175 and was left so unimpressed.  Yes they played the Joshua Tree front to back but with such an extensive library of great music they played 11 other songs and were done in 2 hours.   Not to mention missing the opening act because of the headache of getting into the building. 

For Metallica a couple of months later, 2 opening acts including Avenged Sevenfold plus 2 plus hours of their stuff and playing their classics and for the same price as U2 I definitely enjoyed it more.

When it comes to Pearl Jam, they are the best value for the money out there.  3-3.5 hours on stage. 30-35 songs.  An ever changing setlist that is never the same.(U2 and Metallica essentially played the same setlist for their tours night after night) On their 2016 NA tour they played 170 different songs for 26 dates!!!!!!!!!  Metallica 2018: 51 songs in 67 dates.  U2 in 2017: 31 songs in 58 dates.

I'll take Pearl jam any day of the week.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    That's how I feel about U2 and Metallica.   I've seen U2 5 times and the last time was the Vancouver show before the last one.  Innocence and Experience tour.  They played half the show in this metal cage thing, and you couldn't see them perform from most of the venue.   I felt I'd seen enough u2 at that point.  I finally got to see my favourite U2 song (stay) at Edmonton 2011, so going to a show after... I felt I was done going to U2 shows.

Metallica is a band I go to once every couple of tours.  It's generally the same set, sub in some new songs for whatever album they're touring on.  Rinse/Repeat.  If I skip a tour I don't feel like I miss anything.   This last tour was pretty expensive and ramped up to stadium so I passed on it.

Similar with Foo Fighters.  They're pretty good live, but you can skip a tour or two and it doesn't feel like you missed anything.  Going this year because I skipped the last tour and I feel like seeing them.

If I miss a PJ show, and they play something epic it would bug me.  I don't get that from other bands.  Probably because the setlists aren't too varied, and they don't dig deep enough to play some rare non-single cut off a 20 year old album.

In regards to ticket prices.  They're all going up.  They keep going up, but I noticed a big price spike around 2 years ago.  Those of us that go to other shows can see its happening all over the place (and often far worse than PJ).  People that only go to PJ shows kind of get caught unawares.

It's how bands make money now.  They don't sell albums (even if they release one).  It's all concerts and merch that drives the industry now.  The music doesn't really sell (which is kind of sad).  
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Pretty much every live act plays the same set list night after night. That’s why some of us are willing to see Pearl Jam 3 or 4 tines in a row. It’s conpletely different. 
    Mom not a U2 fan, but did catch metallica. Not too impressed. I knew what was coming the entire time. For $180
  • TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,072
    if any deal they cut includes me, as a 10 club member, having this good of odds of getting a ticket.....name your price.  I want in the doors, and I don't want those other bastards adding to my price.  I'm ok with a deal with the devil, as long as my price gives me this many chances at getting the shows that I want.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
  • I was actually ok with the prices. Just really excited to see them for the first time!
  • Yep, they've gone up, but we're still willing to pay.... also bands make their money from touring rather than selling records these days don't they? 
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    Honest question.......is there any chance Def friggen Leppard and Journey sell out Fenway?  At those prices?  If so, I think I need to reevaluate everything in my life that I thought I knew.

When I heard about them going on tour, I figured they'd be hitting sheds/arenas and thought to myself, "that might be fun to get a group of people to go to" and figured tickets might be $60-70.  This is unbelievable.  
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    edited February 2018
    JimmyV said:
    CopperTom said:
    There is $40 per ticket Fenway fee.
    This fact is getting lost in the discussion.
    Except wrigley is up 30% in 2 years.  Did Wrigley's fee change?  

Like I said, the price is the price and I do think they are giving more of a cut to ticketmaster to obtain more fan club and verified fan tickets.
    Belly aching?  Perhaps you should read what I wrote.  That the tickets are up 30% in 2 years and it's not due to Wrigley fees.  And that I think the price includes more fees going to ticketmaster so that 10C could secure more fan club tickets and verified fan tickers.  I'm OK with that.
    Post edited by Kat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Jvfireman416Jvfireman416 Posts: 95
    edited February 2018
    JimmyV said:
    CopperTom said:
    There is $40 per ticket Fenway fee.
    This fact is getting lost in the discussion.
    Except wrigley is up 30% in 2 years.  Did Wrigley's fee change?  

Like I said, the price is the price and I do think they are giving more of a cut to ticketmaster to obtain more fan club and verified fan tickets.
    Belly aching?  Perhaps you should read what I wrote.  That the tickets are up 30% in 2 years and it's not due to Wrigley fees.  And that I think the price includes more fees going to ticketmaster so that 10C could secure more fan club tickets and verified fan tickers.  I'm OK with that.
    Its not you in particular its the forum in general.
    Post edited by Kat on
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I have not problem paying more per ticket if it means an increase in the amount ten club gets per show
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    RC242143 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    All I have to say is u2 tickets are 331 plus fees for first 10 rows in the 200 sections. So...... 
    I can say for U2, while the prices to the general public are astronomical, they took care of fan club members this year. They don't do a lottery, but did the verified fan thing with Ticketmaster. I have only had U2 fan club membership for three or four years. I was put in a what they called the "Experienced" draw and got GA floor for $102 including Ticketmaster fees.  When it went public those seats were the crazy pricing mentioned above, so it was kind of cool they threw the fan club members a bone. I have no issue with PJ charging what they charge, they routinely keep prices down for all, when they could easily charge more.  

The GA floor prices for U2 were not higher for the general public, they were the same as you paid. Difference was the floor tickets were impossible to get during the general sale, so either being a U2.com member or having access through the Citi card presale was you only realistic shot at scoring floor tix.
    U2 have always kept the GA seats reasonable and charged exorbitant amounts for the best reserved seats.
    Paul McGuiness said something about it back I think on the 360 tour saying they tried to take care of die hards by making the GA seats very reasonably priced and knew they had a group of fans who were able/willing to spend more for good seats and not interested in standing and this offsets the GA seats being below market value.
    Difference is this tour they are charging the highest price for some seats in the balcony just because they have a straight on view of that monster screen. Charging over $300 for good lowers is one thing, charging it for uppers is ridiculous.
    I got GA for one Boston show with the experience presale and got side stage lowers at $106 plus fees for the 2nd show with the verified fan sale, so I'm fine, would never pay 3 bills to see anyone.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I have not problem paying more per ticket if it means an increase in the amount ten club gets per show
    This too is important. We just went through a lottery process where clearly 10c had secured more fan club tickets than ever. If we're going to judge these prices fairly and accurately that has to be taken into account.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    This too is important. We just went through a lottery process where clearly 10c had secured more fan club tickets than ever. If we're going to judge these prices fairly and accurately that has to be taken into account.

Yeah, I mean there are 7 total shows in NA this year, and you had 4 of the 7 shows with 99% odds for reserved seats at the close of the lottery.
    They got a shit ton of tickets for us, took Ticketmaster and Tickets.com and the dreaded resale market right out of the equation for the vast majority of us.
    Very well done.
    And let's see Friday what the public is paying for their tickets when fees are included, I bet its more than we paid.
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    PJ has a monopoly on selling their services, so price is driven by market value, not cost.
    Time for TM to sue PJ.
  • reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
    Honest question.......is there any chance Def friggen Leppard and Journey sell out Fenway?  At those prices?  If so, I think I need to reevaluate everything in my life that I thought I knew.

When I heard about them going on tour, I figured they'd be hitting sheds/arenas and thought to myself, "that might be fun to get a group of people to go to" and figured tickets might be $60-70.  This is unbelievable.  
    I was asking myself the same thing.  How is that show at Fenway?  I understand they are quite popular, but if someone offered to pay me $227.85 to watch a Journey show I would decline.  I just can't with that band, no matter which singer it is.
  • rey said:

I was asking myself the same thing.  How is that show at Fenway?  I understand they are quite popular, but if someone offered to pay me $227.85 to watch a Journey show I would decline.  I just can't with that band, no matter which singer it is.

I was actually taken (ticket paid for...box seats) to see (get ready for it) the triple bill of Tesla, REO Speedwagon and Leppard....honest appraisal--I would only see the Wagon again...Tesla is middling and the lead singer of Def Leppard has torched his voice....It was something else to see....quite a crowd...
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    rey said:

:lol: so true, man.

Journey SUCKS so hard

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Poncier said:
    RC242143 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

The GA floor prices for U2 were not higher for the general public, they were the same as you paid. Difference was the floor tickets were impossible to get during the general sale, so either being a U2.com member or having access through the Citi card presale was you only realistic shot at scoring floor tix.
    U2 have always kept the GA seats reasonable and charged exorbitant amounts for the best reserved seats.
    Paul McGuiness said something about it back I think on the 360 tour saying they tried to take care of die hards by making the GA seats very reasonably priced and knew they had a group of fans who were able/willing to spend more for good seats and not interested in standing and this offsets the GA seats being below market value.
    Difference is this tour they are charging the highest price for some seats in the balcony just because they have a straight on view of that monster screen. Charging over $300 for good lowers is one thing, charging it for uppers is ridiculous.
    I got GA for one Boston show with the experience presale and got side stage lowers at $106 plus fees for the 2nd show with the verified fan sale, so I'm fine, would never pay 3 bills to see anyone.
    I agree.  That's always been my experience with U2 since the how to dismantle an atomic bomb tour.   Reasonably priced GA seats, and expensive seated seats.   GA tickets are superhard to get on the regular sale, so you have to join the fan club to get access to them.

I think one of the problems we get conflicting info is because of how TM lays out there website.   I find they turn on the reselling feature by default, so often people are seeing prices from resellers mixed in with face value tickets.  It's weird because that Podcast from Pearl Jam radio, the ticketmaster guy said it's off by default, but I often find it's on by default.

I am interested to see how the Seattle tickets end up selling.  Going from one super quick sold out arena show to two full on stadium shows.  Seattle is a much smaller market than Chicago/Boston.   No tiered pricing to attract casual fans to the nosebleeds... should be interesting to see how they sell :)
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I refuse to pay those prices to see them but Journey with Steve Perry made some great music. If you aren't singing along in your car when they come on the radio you are missing out.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    per the Verified Fan page in case this hasn't been posted
    How much will tickets cost?

Tickets for each show will range from USD$85 to USD$112, plus taxes and fees.

Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
    Zod said:
    Poncier said:
    RC242143 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I think one of the problems we get conflicting info is because of how TM lays out there website.   I find they turn on the reselling feature by default, so often people are seeing prices from resellers mixed in with face value tickets.  It's weird because that Podcast from Pearl Jam radio, the ticketmaster guy said it's off by default, but I often find it's on by default.

The TM dude was lying through his teeth. Every time I open an interactive TM map, the red target resale dots are there until I choose to click them off.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    JimmyV said:
    I refuse to pay those prices to see them but Journey with Steve Perry made some great music. If you aren't singing along in your car when they come on the radio you are missing out.
    +1. Kids these days.
    Early members of Journey came from bands like Santana, The Tubes, The Babys and Zappa. They were great musicians who wrote and performed iconic songs. Neil Schon is no joke. I first saw them in 1979 and they were firing on all cylinders. Granted, the current version is a bit removed from the early San Francisco days, but there is a reason they are in the HoF. I wouldn't pay $100+ to see them anywhere at this point, but I also won't pay $100+ to see PJ at a ballpark with shitty sight lines 1/4 mile away from the stage. I'm waiting for a tour with a better venue option.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Honestly it is a lot better then getting tickets from stubhub or whatever. When they played at MSG two years ago I tired to get tickets sold out of course. Had to get them scalped and when I did they turned out to be fake. It sucks but they are a popular band and tickets for other bands are the same price.
  • I completely agree with  op on all counts. Went through EXACT same chain of thought. Only difference being I’m bringing my girlfriend to her first show instead of college roommate. It should be tremendous and I am thoroughly psyched. Both the ‘16 shows we’re unreal can’t imagine what kinda shit they’re gonna pull out for these shows. 
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Totally agree on the Journey musicians.  They are no joke and the guys from Pj would love playing with them I’m sure.  Watch the documentary “Don’t stop believing” on Netflix if you’re a doubter.  I thought they were douchebags then I watched that and was like “oh shit, these guys are legends.”
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    until I won the lottery then I said fuck it! let's do this at any price!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

The thought that haunts me, is that the members of my favourite bands are all older than me (by 10 years if not more).  It means when I'm an old man they won't be touring anymore.   I'll probably be sitting in my old man chair wishing I could go back and see a show.    One day I won't be able to anymore, so until that day, unless prices get obscenely out of my price range. I'm there.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited February 2018
    Poncier said:
    Zod said:
    Poncier said:
    RC242143 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

The TM dude was lying through his teeth. Every time I open an interactive TM map, the red target resale dots are there until I choose to click them off.
    Yes, he was definitely lying, or he didn't know wtf he was talking about. The resell tix ALWAYS show by default, and I've noticed that it confuses the fuck out of people. Many think that if they're seeing those on a normal search, ONLY secondary market tix are available, and that the general sale sold out when it didn't. And then they decide not to go to the show at all, and the artist is struggling to sell it out.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    It was a surprise and it's a significant increase in 2 years.  But worth it to me.

And I hope the increase $ is due to ticketmaster fees that then allowed the band to secure more 10C seats.  All worth it if true.
    That's a good point.  If that had to happen in order to increase more 10C seats, it's worth it.  I went 3-for-3 and probably saved money over going-2-for-3 with the old prices and having to wrestle with getting a pair for the third show.  Plus, I just want as many members as possible to score through this process...I wish they could accommodate all requests.

I guess I am lucky to not have to stress about the cost too much, so I do understand why it bothers some people.  But the way prices have gone up in general indicates that PJ does go below its true market value and given that they probably play an hour longer than most and your two shows will probably have 5-10 repeats out of 30 songs each, it's as good of a value as their is in concert-going.  The fact that my favorite band happens to have such a terrific history at live shows (long shows, mixed setlists, the three Boston shows, sticking out Wrigley 2013 until 2:00 AM,and then producing bootlegs of most of them) is a coincidence...but I legitimately feel lucky.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin