Xennials: The Elite Generation

Alright, just saw this interesting article about a new classification for those born between 1977 - 1983 and I couldn't agree more.

https://www.sammichespsychmeds.com/micro-generation-born-between-1977-1983-are-given-new-name/

Never really felt like I fit the Gen X mold and definitely not the Millenial era. 

Whose with me? Xennials rule the world! :)
It's a hopeless situation...

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    I fall in the middle of this range.  Agree that I am not a millennial.  
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I know an Elitist!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Who is older than that!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • All this labeling shit has me confused...

I thought we had Genx, then Gen Y then Millennials, then snowflakes?  What the hell is the proper term for snowflakes anyways?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I was born in 85, but I'm from a backwater that's a few years behind so I can relate.
    To me the big generational divide comes from the internet and cell phones.  The internet really came to life with Windows 95 and I was in middle school when people in my area started surfing the web and talking in chatrooms.
    When I graduated high school, the Moto RAZR (I think) came out and everyone started getting cellphones.
    If your childhood existed without the internet, if you went through high school without a cellphone, then you can see the obvious divide between yourself and those who did.

Going to school now is treacherous with social media and people texting nude selfies and sharing them around... it's tricky, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't wish that stuff existed when I was in school lol
    There was only one way to see a girl in your school naked, and that took hard work...nowadays it's not such a big deal, people send nudes pretty freely.  There's a deep, dark, nasty side to that, but there's a light and fun side to it too.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:
    I was born in 85, but I'm from a backwater that's a few years behind so I can relate.
    To me the big generational divide comes from the internet and cell phones.  The internet really came to life with Windows 95 and I was in middle school when people in my area started surfing the web and talking in chatrooms.
    When I graduated high school, the Moto RAZR (I think) came out and everyone started getting cellphones.
    If your childhood existed without the internet, if you went through high school without a cellphone, then you can see the obvious divide between yourself and those who did.

Going to school now is treacherous with social media and people texting nude selfies and sharing them around... it's tricky, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't wish that stuff existed when I was in school lol
    There was only one way to see a girl in your school naked, and that took hard work...nowadays it's not such a big deal, people send nudes pretty freely.  There's a deep, dark, nasty side to that, but there's a light and fun side to it too.
    Well said.

We joke about some of our family and friends with kids that they never knew what it was like to NOT have a cell phone or carry cash and not a bank card.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    It appears the generations are getting smaller in terms of time span. 

GI: 1901 to 1024  --    23 years
    Boomers: 1943 to 1964  -- 21 years
    Gen X  1965 to 1979  --  14 years
    Xennials 1977 to 1983  --  6 years
    Futurennials  2045 to 2046  --  1 year
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I saw this a few months ago and completely agree with the subclassification.

Being born in 1978, I grew up in an age that didnt/barely had VCRs or remote control TVs.... but before it was too late, were able to grasp and learn electronic technology and communication.  Internet took off during college years.  Cell phones just after.  

I think it gives us a unique view/experience having grown up amidst such a technological boom.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    1984, gen x or millennial?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Very solidly millennial.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    MayDay10 said:

Being born in 1978, I grew up in an age that didnt/barely had VCRs or remote control TVs.... but before it was too late, were able to grasp and learn electronic technology and communication.  Internet took off during college years.  Cell phones just after.  

I think it gives us a unique view/experience having grown up amidst such a technological boom.
    I dunno about that, just because I'm Gen X and I feel like at least the last few years of the Gen Xers had the same experience with technology. We were still pretty young when that boom happened and were all over it. I figure anyone who wasn't out of high school by 1984 had good timing for it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Very solidly millennial.
    NOOOOOO!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    PJ_Soul said:
    Very solidly millennial.
    I don't think someone who was an adult before cell phones could text can be considered very solidly millennial.
    We are millennial, but only barely. 

I think technology has outstripped culture and larger world events as the defining separation of generations now.

And I don't say that because of the largely negative view of millennials, I don't buy all that anyways.
    What I'm saying is that the world TA and I grew up in, and the challenges we tackled as adolescents (because that's when you really become you, ya know?) are more similar to those of people born 10 years before us than 5 years after.
    My cousin is 5 years younger than me and he grew up with internet in the home in grade school and a smartphone all through highschool.  His world was entirely different because of that, while the other cultural aspects that define generations have changed to a much lesser degree than technology, and the most dramatic cultural changes since 1970 were all ushered in by technology after the rise of internet and then social media.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    MayDay10 said:

I remember when we got our first VCR in the late 80' s. That thing was a massive metal machine with the old school LCD display. Ate tapes like no other too. We had the old box TV set that sat on the floor up until I was in high school. Separate dial for UHF and VHF with no damn remote. It was a complicated mess to get the NES hooked up to. It wasn't until I was a senior that the internet was readily available at school and it was slow as shit. Web Crawler truly crawled to load. I'd read the newspaper sports section in between searches for midi files of the most recent PJ songs and lyrics pages.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    edited February 2018
    i called friends on a rotary phone, listened to records and later did tge cassette tape, record radio boogie.  by my last year if college, we communicated via aim, cell phones started being common, and we downloaded mp3s.   
    I wonder, before the G.I. generation were generations given designations?

I'm not sure how helpful micro managing generations is (for example, by brother is at the tail end of the baby boomer generation.  Does that make him a Late Boomer?) but I can see an argument for it for people younger than myself who have seen more rapid changes in a shorter period of time.   The world had has changed so much, so fast, and so exponentially fast that, if it keeps up, theoretically at some point the generations would be measured by just a few years or a single year or by a matter of months.  But I think at some point technology will max out or will be completely run by machines.   Then, it's any ones's guess. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited February 2018
    rgambs said:
    And I don't say that because of the largely negative view of millennials, I don't buy all that anyways.
    What I'm saying is that the world TA and I grew up in, and the challenges we tackled as adolescents (because that's when you really become you, ya know?) are more similar to those of people born 10 years before us than 5 years after.
    My cousin is 5 years younger than me and he grew up with internet in the home in grade school and a smartphone all through highschool.  His world was entirely different because of that, while the other cultural aspects that define generations have changed to a much lesser degree than technology, and the most dramatic cultural changes since 1970 were all ushered in by technology after the rise of internet and then social media.
    Didn't realise you were about my age.
    I only remember the internet in 1997/8. The first time I ever used it was in the school library. 
    I grew up with VHS, wind up telephones, cassette tapes, things only went digital after high school for me.
    My first home PC was a year after I finished high school.
    My first mobile phone was not a smart phone but a Nokia brick of a phone.
    My taste in music is the same as Gen X'ers.
    I feel closer to Gen X'ers than millenials.
    edited February 2018
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Very solidly millennial.
    I don't think someone who was an adult before cell phones could text can be considered very solidly millennial.

I think technology has outstripped culture and larger world events as the defining separation of generations now.

It's not really a matter of opinion... IMO, lol. Someone born in 1984 just is a Millennial, and not even really on the cusp. Millennials are now in their early to late 30s. Just because someone decided that Millennials have to have been a kid when cell phones modernized doesn't make it so. I think it's pretty weird that people are just randomly changing the definitions of generations after the fact. I also find it weird that people are attempting to define generations by technological comfort, because that is not common to certain generations at all starting with Gen X. Pretty much everyone I know who is my age (Gen X) are every bit as comfortable with technology as any Millennial is, mainly because we are all smack dab in the middle of our careers and wouldn't be effective if we didn't know all that shit, so I'm not buying this strange new defining of generations based on that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    This is why all you whippersnappers scare the shit out of me: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/world/americas/western-liberal-democracy.html?smid=tw-nytpolitics&smtyp=cur

People blame older generations for the spike in popularity of autocracies taking shape again overseas and obviously in the US, but it appears as though the cold brew kids are more in favor of military rule and dictatorships than get the fuck off my lawners.

Those domestic terrorists in Charlottesville and elsewhere: most of them quite young and likely to shape our government for the rest of my lifetime.

Forget four more years. Forty more years is probably more like it. And it will increasingly become harder to escape it via the expat route since it's so widespread. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Very solidly millennial.

It's not really a matter of opinion... IMO, lol. Someone born in 1984 just is a Millennial, and not even really on the cusp. Millennials are now in their early to late 30s. Just because someone decided that Millennials have to have been a kid when cell phones modernized doesn't make it so. I think it's pretty weird that people are just randomly changing the definitions of generations after the fact. I also find it weird that people are attempting to define generations by technological comfort, because that is not common to certain generations at all starting with Gen X. Pretty much everyone I know who is my age (Gen X) are every bit as comfortable with technology as any Millennial is, mainly because we are all smack dab in the middle of our careers and wouldn't be effective if we didn't know all that shit, so I'm not buying this strange new defining of generations based on that.
    Its not 'technological comfort'.  Within a few years, the way humans interacted with each other was revolutionized like never before (or since).  There is a group of people that saw both ends on it while developing their social circles and skills in a ripe age bracket.  It is that person's opinion that this pocket of people are a unique sub-set of a generation, and I completely agree.  

As someone said, I went from calling girls on a rotary phone to chatting on AIM within a short period of time when I was still a 'youth', middle school-high school-college aged.
    edited February 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Very solidly millennial.

It is all opinion lol
    It's not like generations are officially defined by scientific method lol
    Somebody comes up with a term for people born in a certain (widely varying) time period and enough people agree that it sticks around, but there's no rigid criteria or certification like your tone suggests. 
    As Mayday already said...
    It isn't about comfort with using certain technologies, it's about how we relate to technology and how it shapes us as people.  My Dad is 64 and has been completely comfortable with technology since it exploded in the 90's, but he grew up in a house that didn't even have TV until middle school.  They were obviously poor lol

You may have adapted to social media wonderfully, but do you really think that you belong in a generation with someone who had social media accounts before puberty?  Do you not see what a huge difference that makes in a person's development?
    Post edited by rgambs on
    edited February 2018
    MayDay10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Very solidly millennial.

Its not 'technological comfort'.  Within a few years, the way humans interacted with each other was revolutionized like never before (or since).  There is a group of people that saw both ends on it while developing their social circles and skills in a ripe age bracket.  It is that person's opinion that this pocket of people are a unique sub-set of a generation, and I completely agree.  

As someone said, I went from calling girls on a rotary phone to chatting on AIM within a short period of time when I was still a 'youth', middle school-high school-college aged.
    Yeah, I guess I'm saying that Gen Xers were a part of this group as well though. I know I saw both ends on it completely, and I'm solidly Gen X. I do not recognize this subset just because in my experience, that lines drawn for this subset just aren't accurate. They drew the line too late. It should be drawn somewhere in the early-mid 70s.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    born 1974. 43 years old right now. Grew up on black and white dial tv. didn't get colour tv and cable until I was about 10. it was another long time after that we got our first VCR (my family was always way behind on technology because of finances). 

had a cell phone at 20. But I didn't get my first computer until I was 27, AFTER the new millenium. WAY behind the norm. and besides adult content and music, I have no real use for one anyway.

I got rid of my cell phone in my mid-20's and didn't get another one until this past November. I had never texted prior to November 2017

I am WAY behind on current technology because I simply don't give a shit. I used to be the one teaching my parents how to use all the electronics in the house, but now I'm pretty much in the same boat as they are. I'm in the "I don't want to learn about it, just make it work for me" crowd. 

there is some truth to the negative associations millenials get, but we have to remember it isn't their fault. they didn't spearhead this "it's all about me" philosphy. They learned this from their parents who TOLD them it was all about them. Their parents bubble wrapped them and they are products of that. you can't fault someone for how they were raised. 

Of course, all of the generalizations about any generation are just that, generalizations. But my wife has had to hire a number of millenials, and in many cases the attitude and work ethic are staggeringly different from ours. 

with some of them, there's no "can I have this day off?", it's "I won't be here on this day". They've learned the hard way that ain't gonna fly with Mrs. HFD. 
    their parents schedule their doctor and dentist appointments for them. 
    parents come to interviews with them. they even set the interview up for them. My wife learned very quickly that if a parent is calling, no interview for you. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

At primary schools here young kids are learning coding. I have no idea wtf coding is.
    PJ Soul,  I am gen X. Don't deny it.
    PJ Soul,  I am gen X. Don't deny it.
    :confused: I'm just referencing every single anything that defines when Gen Xers and Millennials were born. Hey, if you want to be Gen X even though you were born in 1984 have at it, lol.
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    As the 6 years younger sibling of a bunch of full fledged Gen Xers this article made me chuckle. I've always identified with Gen Xers but never completely... I was born in '77. Gen X used to end in '76 and I was considered Gen Y.... for a few years and then was lumped back into Gen X. Now I'm a Xennial! Lol Hell yeah! The description hit the nail on the head. Socialogical classification at it's best. I've been identified! :glasses::rofl:
    Why, you young whippersnappers!

In my day, it was all one generation, Gen-ahtrah!